PDA

View Full Version : On the board for 2017, Bell

Digger_O'Dell
01-25-2017, 07:53 PM
Hi all,
Got out for a couple hunts. Sites are limited due to ground conditions. Fields are swamps now, and other places are frozen still, so limited to woods mostly.
I got out to the site with the old cellar hole in hopes of a period coin that might she'd some light on the age of the place, but still no luck. It's tough hunting with all the iron, trash, buried fence wire, etc so been working on tweaking the program and trying new things to get any good targets to show up. Still not much, but I did manage another unknown piece, canning jar lid, and another Hames bell! Those Hames bells must have been the standard in my area as I've found them scattered far and wide.
I also tried another old abandoned farm site - the one with the wood silo. Again, no luck other than a car door handle of the 30s to 40s type, and what may be another older set of points. I decided to get a closer look at the silo and discovered it was built with round nails, not square. That dates it early 20th century, far newer than I had thought. Thanks for reading, and HH!

Digger_O'Dell
01-25-2017, 09:21 PM
In case anyone is not familiar with Hames bells, here's a pic of a complete set:

And here's a link to a great article with video to hear a set. Great sounds from the 1800s!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/shinealightproject.wordpress.com/2014/12/19/sleigh-bells-ring-are-you-listening/amp/

calabash digger
01-25-2017, 10:40 PM
congrats, I glad you knew what it was I would have been lost.

Lodge Scent
01-26-2017, 10:57 AM
Don't think I have any hames bells. Pretty cool.

OxShoeDrew
01-27-2017, 05:21 AM
OMG!! I find those from time to time and never knew what they were! I found one two weeks ago! Thanks and congrats!!

aloldstuff
01-27-2017, 06:21 AM
Congrats on getting out and for the lesson on the Hames bells.

MangoAve
01-27-2017, 02:27 PM
Nice find. Guess that bell that I hit at like 12' or 14" way in the back of the property was definitely a hames bell. I had the hunting buddy say it was from a phone. quite far from the house for it to be a phone bell.