PDA

View Full Version : first hunt with the NELtornado coil

lee
01-26-2017, 09:18 PM
no pictures because i didn't find anything picture worthy but thought i would give a bit of feed back.
i hunted for only 45 minuets and did one line up a field.
the first thing i noticed was although the NEL coil is twice as big as the stock coil on my at pro i didn't notice any major difference in weight or balance,secondly wow!!!! this thing hits deep !!! i got a deer slug at 14 inches and it hit it loud and clear through my headphones.
one thing that was worrying me before using it for the first time was the size of the coil in trashy areas and its ability to separate good from bad signals,again i found my worry's to be unfounded.
OK,down sides,and here is an odd one,4 times today i got a really good signal at 6-8 inches only to have it disappear on me once i dug the plug ? OK i know what your saying "this happens to all of us some times" but 4 times in 45 minuets ?. im not saying it was the coils fault but i rarely lose a signal once Ive dug the plug.
another thing i noticed was the numbers on the at pro where coming up different than the stock coil,can slaw was ringing up higher on the scale 65-70 compered to 60-65 forcing me to dig targets i would normally leave but i think this may just be a learning curve that i will master quickly.
over all a great addition to my detector which with the extra depth achieved i think will open up places that i feel i have "hunted out" and make them viable for a second go over.
cant wait to get out with it again and i will keep you all informed of any thing i find.

Digger_O'Dell
01-26-2017, 09:29 PM
Congrats on getting out with the new coil! I've had the same experience with the NEL coil on my X-Terra. It's definitely hot and deep, super sensitive. Some of the signals I've "lost" I was able to find again with my pinpointer, and often turn out to be something very tiny that created a halo that the coil picked up on. When dug, the halo of course is gone. Figure it's just par for the course when using a coil that is so sensitive. I'm sure you will figure out the new coil and it's quirks fast enough and you'll be digging great keepers soon that were far out of range to you before. GL&HH!

aloldstuff
01-27-2017, 06:15 AM
Having seen how you detect, very deliberate, very slow and methodical, I have said to myself that there is no use following him, he's got every target. Now with your new NEL "definitely" not going to follow in your path.
Congrats on the new edition.

MangoAve
01-27-2017, 02:26 PM
Often when I have targets 'disappear', they were actually smaller targets at shallower depth and were in the plug somewhere. Good that you are liking the addition. I prob would have liked the NEL sharp for my Tpro, had the two been functional. I too noticed a shift in VDI when I got the NEL on the BH, but it was at the low end VDI. Nickels shifted like 3 or 5 VDI whilst pennies were still the same. The only difference is a scale to 99 is compressed in different ranges than a larger 256 count scale is so it might react different with a different scale. I doubt it will be that much of a learning curve, cuz I doubt you will switch back and forth between the coils. Unfortunately the places you hunt you want to know the VDI to have discretion on which signals get dug.