PDA

View Full Version : Fighting The Mud And Making Great Finds!

Bell-Two
01-27-2017, 11:25 PM
Have not been out too much due to cold rainy weather, I went out with my friend Bill to find some sites on a permission he had and we were successful, I got an Indian Head and a very early Pewter Button with Goodyear Patent on it. The crew got out a few days later and slogged through the mud and only Diane’s super find of the day brightened our spirits. She got a very nice 1857 Flying Eagle Cent! The crew’s next hunt turned up some nice relics two coins one of which is a Killer Coin! Doug got a beat up 1909-D Barber Dime and a nice 1803 Draped Bust Large Cent! My next adventure was with my friend Rob Hilt from West Virginia, he was in town for a visit and after a nice social visit the night before with him and his lovely wife Lisa we planned an outing for the next day. I took him to a couple of fields that have been good to us and we had a great time. Rob got some firsts, two pieces of arrowheads and his first CW Artillery button. He also scored some other nice flat buttons as well. I too had a good day, a flat button that has so much gilt on the back that when I saw it my heart jumped…well we all dream of that gold coin don’t we?! I then dug a fantastic find …well I like it! It is a trigger guard from an 1849 Colt Pocket Model Revolver! The serial number on it according to Colt’s website indicates it was made in 1851! I then dug my first CW Artillery Button in absolutely great condition! Doing research on the site I found that the owner had been a CW Soldier in Company D, Second Regiment of the Ohio Heavy Artillery. I would assume the Colt had been his as well as it was an extremely popular model of personal weapon that were carried by Civil War Soldiers.

https://youtu.be/yGbRPJKDS8s

Digger Don
01-28-2017, 12:38 AM
You got some very nice buttons there Tony.
Congrats to Diane on that very nice Flying Eagle.:envious:
Another one still on my bucket list.
:congrats:

Digger_O'Dell
01-28-2017, 05:34 AM
Awesome finds! The mud must be terrible,sticky nasty hunting like that in Wi. too. Love that LC and trigger guard, and a readable FE is still on my list.

aloldstuff
01-28-2017, 06:07 AM
Some great finds. Any CW items are especially cool. Knowing who lived there and that he served in the Artillery is fantastic. Congrats on the buttons, trigger guard and all those coins.

Lodge Scent
01-29-2017, 01:09 PM
Wow! Nice bunch of finds. Congrats!