PDA

View Full Version : Short morning hunt

Digger_O'Dell
02-01-2017, 10:51 AM
Hi everyone!
I got out this morning for about 45 minutes to my 1850s field where I found the fatty last fall. Ground is frozen rock solid after a thaw melted the snow and then refroze. Had the idea to try the rock pick I made last year for river hunting as a long handled ice pick in the field. Very tough going, but it worked!
No coins this time unfortunately but I did hit my second musket ball and another piece of float copper. I'm guessing musket balls are probably as rare as large cents in my parts, so I'm really happy to get another one. Hoping for some period silver and/or a largie out of that field!

aloldstuff
02-01-2017, 11:21 AM
Now that's the way to be persistent. Using an ice pick :thumbsup02:.
Hope that what you are hoping for gets under your coil.

Digger_O'Dell
02-01-2017, 11:48 AM
Now that's the way to be persistent. Using an ice pick :thumbsup02:.
Hope that what you are hoping for gets under your coil.

Thanks Al, I'm trying hard as I can! Lots and lots of acres to cover yet, and that's just one field!

MangoAve
02-01-2017, 12:24 PM
Lol. There was one spot where I had to use the shovel like a pic axe, for a dang wheat nonetheless. It was a good tone tho that I wouldn't have given up. Nice score on the musket ballt. I have def pulled more LC here than musket balls, but to me it's now like mehh. Like the time I pulled one from a field and the owner across the street was in awe, but I was like "this is the 10th one I dug already... something different would be better for a change".

del
02-01-2017, 01:55 PM
"Float copper" , one of these days you are going to pull up a copper culture spear point or celt , your definitely in the area for such a find !

Digger_O'Dell
02-01-2017, 02:13 PM
"Float copper" , one of these days you are going to pull up a copper culture spear point or celt , your definitely in the area for such a find !

Well, one never knows! FF43 found one around here somewhere under a soccer field no less!

Ill Digger
02-01-2017, 05:37 PM
Even finding a small piece, you've just made a 12,000 year old discovery!!!!
Now that truly is jaw dropping!!!:shocked05:
Nice winter finds!
Congrats! ! :grin:

Lodge Scent
02-01-2017, 08:12 PM
Where there is float copper there are copper artifacts. Hope one turns up under your coil soon.