PDA

View Full Version : Looks like I've got another machine!

Digger_O'Dell
02-03-2017, 09:15 AM
Poring over the Internet the past few weeks looking into getting a PI machine. I've been waiting for a company's new board to come out for an affordable DIY machine. Instead, I stumbled across a series of machines from Whites that sounded perfect for what my intended uses are, the TDI. Found only one legit listing for a lightly used TDI SL. Contacted the seller and working out delivery details and such, should have it in about a week to 10 days.
Blew my mind even I found out PI machines when set correctly can tune out targets either by size or conductivity. They can also blast through trash as it would ground mineralization and pick out the targets underneath. I'm thinking the parks in my area that were undetectable before due to a pull tab and foil blanket will open up to the PI machine and maybe get those really old deep coins that vlf detectors can't touch. Hoping for the best!

MangoAve
02-03-2017, 10:18 AM
Pi machines have come a ways in the past few years. I just get annoyed that my pinpointer is PI and it sets the machine off, but I like the pinpointer. Sucks waiting for the Vulcan or a Garrett to power on. Good luck with a new machine. So it will eliminate the foil end? That might be good for parks, but not sure with the one cellar you have. You are more inclined to dig lower vdi at that spot. You should try it in the same area you use the VLF and let us know a comparison. It might be after a while once you have learned the machines equally and give a valid comparison.

del
02-03-2017, 07:40 PM
The TDI SL is a very capable machine and deep when properly set up correctly . I remember when I first got one , it was loaned to me by a large dealer here in Connecticut because I didn't want to buy it first and not want it after I used it a bit . I got mine with the 7.5 inch coil and used it primarily on the museum hunts where they wanted all the targets both iron and non ferrous , I thought that would be a great way to learn this machine well if I kinda had to dig it all regardless what it was. Well the first week or two I hated it :hairpulling:as I didn't have "the ear" , didn't hear or know its little nuances , it didn't have a pin point trigger or mode (boy did that take so getting use to :rolleyes:) and in the small iron (like stainless steel staples) it was almost impossible to tell if the target was a brass one or iron .:dontknow: I stuck with it and after about a month or two of trial and error and reading up on everything I could find about the machine it started to prove fruitful .:cheering:The machine is a very good one albeit its a location machine it shines and excels on salty wet beaches or open fields where there is little to no trash it can give you much frustration around an iron infested cellar hole or park . it hits hard on small brass , lead and gold and when you hear and get the ear for that sweet sounding gold tone you can definitely pick it out from others. I picked up a 8x11 inch razorback coil for mine and love it , I heard "miner John" took over that company and makes them now but still with the same good quality.

If you have any questions or want a few tips of what I learned on mine just ask Chris , I think you'll do well on your beaches there but you might get tired of digging those 20 plus inch deep nickels and bobby pins as they both sound so close to gold rings .

Dan

Digger_O'Dell
02-03-2017, 08:12 PM
Hey thanks Dan, I appreciate it! Hoping I will have a bit of a jump start on it. I've already read everything I could find from basic to advanced plus watched pretty much every useful video on it. Having the "ear" for it should be a fairly easy transition from the as I'm already doing that about 98% on the CTX. Just have to remember high and low tones are flip flopped between the vlf and pi machines. I've actually tried figuring out the signals during live dig videos and starting to do ok with it. As you said, takes some getting used to, but the tutorials really help a lot.
As for iron infested sites the PI machine can be set for either high or low only output, so most iron like nails will be ignored while high conductive targets like copper or silver will pop. At least in theory anyway, so can't wait to try it! While I'm waiting I'll probably see about making a couple 18650 battery packs for it since this one only comes with the AA battery holder.

del
02-03-2017, 08:54 PM
As for iron infested sites the PI machine can be set for either high or low only output, so most iron like nails will be ignored while high conductive targets like copper or silver will pop. At least in theory anyway, so can't wait to try it! While I'm waiting I'll probably see about making a couple 18650 battery packs for it since this one only comes with the AA battery holder.

yes most iron nails... the problem is (on my sites anyways) the sites where the nails are there are few WHOLE nails left anymore , now just smaller halves to bits and these tend to sound like tiny brass and the more you turn the machine to discriminate them your also discriminating the brass , lead or gold . You'll see what I mean ;) as for batteries this machine is a beast and eats up the regular battery pack in no time so I purchased the R & B lithium battery pack and I could get about 6 hours on that when it could get about 35 hours on my DFX .

Digger_O'Dell
02-03-2017, 09:17 PM
Yes, because the coil needs tons of power that create that much magnetic field to punch through the ground and charge the target's enough to read them. The stock battery in a low power NiCad while the R&B is as you say Li Ion which is higher capacity and voltage. Haven't priced out the R & B battery yet, but I know the stock one goes for $199 (ouch!) I can 2 of the 4-18650 (14.8v) holders for about $5.50, and I already have connectors and maybe 2 dozen batteries for a total cost of the $5.50, and can run for days without a recharge, plus the extra depth gain using higher voltage.

Digger_O'Dell
02-11-2017, 07:28 PM
After an almost 6 hours round trip to Illinois I finally have my TDI. Got a great price on it and it looks pristine. Guy said he only used it twice. He has another tdi that is his regular PI machine. Glad I made the drive too. In meeting up in person I also got an awesome deal on a Miner John "Jimmy" 5x10 folded mono coil.
Stopped at the beach on the way home to try it out and learned real quick it's going to take some getting used to. Incredibly deep, but unfortunately most of the beach was still frozen solid beyond 6 inches or so. Got a lot of pull tabs and other junk not worth showing. Can't wait to do some garden testing and get it into the field once it thaws.

del
02-11-2017, 10:46 PM
Hey congratulations on the pulse machine Chris and welcome to the world of "hearing everything" !;) As I said in the PM's i'll be happy to try an answer any questions you might have .

Stopped at the beach on the way home to try it out and learned real quick it's going to take some getting used to.

:lol: Well said