PDA

View Full Version : How to proceed when someone else is detecting?

Oneil1979
02-04-2017, 10:45 PM
Moved to a new area and with the favorable weather here in pa, I have been researching different locations and patiently waiting for permission. On two seperate occasions while on public land, I got myself together and headed to the location only to find someone else swinging a detector... Hmmm well we all know how hard it can be to find locations and get permission but when your day is planned then BAM, I get that great minds think alike and on both occasions I walked over introduced myself and asked If i could join. Just curious others take on it?? How is the best way to handle?

Digger_O'Dell
02-04-2017, 10:56 PM
Sounds to me you handled it like a pro! Rarely have I ever had to deal with that type of situation myself other than on the local beach. In that case I just picked an area away from where the others were hunting. Eventually made contact as they took breaks and got to know the regulars there. Couple guys hunt pretty much daily and have their little regular "plot" and pattern they follow. Now have my own sort of pattern they don't typically hunt, and later go back over what they did and get all the goodies they miss. We sometimes show off finds to one another too and it's a great time for all.
I think especially in public areas it comes down to being courteous and being fair. Mostly everything works well for everyone then. That's my 2 cents worth! :thumbsup01:

Ken C
02-04-2017, 11:05 PM
When I bump into other detectors, I'll wave hi and head in a direction that will not cross paths directly with them.

leslie(nova scotia)
02-05-2017, 05:19 PM
Lucky you. I can go for a whole summer and not see another swisher or digger save for me hunting bud Navy Davy.

Like your approach.

MangoAve
02-06-2017, 08:28 AM
I had only one encounter, but that was a private site, and there were some weird circumstances.

I'd say you handled it well. Yes, you should be a tad respectful to one another, but it is also a public site and he has no authority. I'm sure he knows just as much as you how difficult some of the research is for finding spots. I'd say it'd be good to handle a little like Chris does, but save the show and tell until the end, otherwhise when you yell bingo finding some silver of course he's gonna try to encroach on the area. Lucky in the woods I rarely come across anyone.

Digger_O'Dell
02-06-2017, 09:07 AM
Just wanted to chime in. The "show and tell" in my circumstances only came after getting to know the other hunter. Otherwise I'll play it by gut feeling if someone asks if I found anything. Even yhen, I'll usually downplay any good finds unless I'm sure I cleared the area and I'm on the way out.

Oneil1979
02-07-2017, 07:39 PM
Thank you all for the feedback, Ive detected a few years without ever encountering someone, I usually shy away from the public areas ( minus the beaches of course) but have been hitting some local spots in an attempt to learn the new machine I got. Was curious on others take, I was a bit thrown off the first time and confused the second. Guessing the warmer weather here in pennsylvania offers such a small window to swing people are getting it in while the can, appreciate the responses.