PDA

View Full Version : Another colonial buckle and my first DB cent.

MangoAve
02-07-2017, 12:50 PM
This weekend I didn't get to every site that I wanted to, but I still managed a few keepers from the sites I did hit.

I made it to a real small site, but somehow it had two cellars and a separate chimney. Someone had been there the day before hiking through. It almost looked like they dug one hole by the big cellar, but that's it. The site was almost devoid of any targets. There were some modern big iron junk targets by the chimney. Eventually I got lucky with a lower VDI not being a shotgun shell. It was actually a tombac. I did see the 'shelf' by the shank, but it seemed too thin to be a tombac. Somewhere over by the bigger hole I pulled a silver plate button. It has a good amount of silver wash still on it. On the hike in I had noticed a little area under some cedars that was just off the cart path. On the way out, I managed to check the spot out. Good thing as It netted another 1700s shoe buckle. I tried checking the hole again for the parts and I did have a tiny blip. Guess I did technically find the whole thing as the unit was repaired at one point having an iron chape and brass tongue. I hiked back out toward one of the other cellars, which neither of the three are on the old map. It was hit pretty hard. I knew the site I checked was too, so I didn't put much faith in the closer sites. For some reason I couldn't locate in person exactly where the fields across the road were at. I was thinking that might be an overlooked spot.
57606576075760557588576085759157593576095758757589 57590
I did catch a few nice pics on the way out.

Another site was a permission site. There I tried following the iron behind the cellar along this path up the hills. This was when I noticed something was up with the snow. There was a target at 6" when I was pinpointing. That was on the layer of 'ice' underneath the powder. For some reason a target that should have been loud and clear was too unstable. Maybe the bottom edge was what I was hearing, or the snow was just really messing with the capabilities. The first target, tho, ended up being an ox knob without any threads. Just a set hole. It must be older. A really steady signal by the stone wall turned out to be a brass key ring. WTH? I scored a small silverplate buckle in the road. After like three targets in the frozen road, my hand was hurting.

I noticed these fields with what looked like a depression cut into the dividing wall. I guess it was just for traffic flow, but I was thinking it could have been a barn site. There was def some activity in those fields. At the bottom, after being in the field for an hour plus, I scored a copper. Turned out to be my first (dateless) draped bust. And my second holed coin.

I thought the little raised part on the front was a flip of hair on the top of the coin by the liberty crown...another matron. Wrong! I eventually realized there is no way the head of a matron was that close to the rim. It is actually the bottom of the coin, and the hole must be where the date is located. The back I saw a wreath, which was another thing that made me first think matron. With a light source on the side, it looks more like a counter stamp than the actual design, but the wreath has the ribbons that go south on the coin. Another indicative piece to show it's something like a draped bust (or liberty cap). The 1/100 and the ribbons look more like a counter stamp with a side light, but I def know now it's a draped bust cent.
There was another big site that I saw which is on the old map. I think it changed owners within the last 4-6months. Which is good cuz it's no longer private. It was really trashy and hard to find any positive VDI targets. Out by the stone wall I got about half of some ornate buckle or picture frame. It's half and there are no defining features to distinguish which of the two. I also ended up finding a spoon by the cellar lip. It came out really nice after cleaning. The following morning when JoJo showed up to detect (and with Kevin) we determined that the spoon was made sometime between 1872 and 1912. The Victor silver Co started in 1872 and ceased production in 1912. I noticed this mark on the front. Looks like it was made for the Young Women of America, which itself began in 1858. I tried to use the YWOA history to narrow things down, but couldn't. Idk.. 1883 marks a 25th anniversary and 1908 marks 50 yrs of YWOA.
Sunday was just a lot of hiking. The first site was not on the map either. Turns out because it was close to a park road, that it must have been hit before. I still squeaked out a button and a fired musket ball. The button has some gilt left, mostly the front. It almost looked like there was a design on the front, but not after cleaning it. Now it looks like mercury. Lol. An old (but broken) cobalt blue bottle came out of the field. Someone might have found it before and left it cuz it was broken. But it is thick glass and it def has a few bubbles in the glass making it older. It wasn't machine made. Musket is in second to last pic of thread.
The second site was a bust for me, but it was surprising for being so far in and so big, that there wasn't more left. Kevin managed a button. We obvi spent too much time there than we should have. I got half of a lock with a brass cover.

The last site was the better site. Right away I got an escutcheon worthy of the D man himself. Nice ornate floral design and it seems there was some sort of cotter pin attachment. Of course the one dime signal I got had to be a flat piece of iron. And I forgot to turn the sense back up to 7 once I got away from the cellar. Out front of the cellar I got two lantern pieces. And I checked that night and it seems we completely missed the barn out back which no hiking goes near. Well, it will get a return trip.

I'll get a pic of the lock before I remove just the brass cover, and maybe a pic of the lanterns and ox knob. The knob was broken too which indicates either how it was lost or why they tossed it away.

Lodge Scent
02-07-2017, 01:57 PM
Nice bunch of finds Jim. You got a bit more snow then I do. Not much left on the ground here. I like that buckle. I'm leaning toward a DB as well on that copper but won't bet my house on it ;)

Digger_O'Dell
02-07-2017, 04:14 PM
Some nice finds Jim! I can relate to the hands hurting, Got that myself the other morning digging frozen ground in the woods for a 3 memorial spill-go figure. Have to say that bottle is really cool, even with the break is still in relatively good shape and worthy of display. The spoon is going to be the real stumper since it's not a production pattern. Thanks for the write up!

aloldstuff
02-07-2017, 05:53 PM
Looks like you'll detect in any of our NE weather conditions. Some nice hunting with some nice finds. That DB has me stumped but I know it on your future goals list so here's hoping that it is....:thumbsup02:

MangoAve
02-08-2017, 11:33 AM
Nice bunch of finds Jim. You got a bit more snow then I do. Not much left on the ground here. I like that buckle. I'm leaning toward a DB as well on that copper but won't bet my house on it ;)

Thanks, Jeff. My town was actually free from snow except for a few small piles. It was other areas out East that still had the snow. Look back to when I lost my shovel. That was a similar instance. My town is clear. The next town is clear. All the sudden when I come down from the long hill, I start to see snow. And of course when I was looking (this was not the time when I DID recover it) it was still like 2" there. You prob could bet the house on it, cuz I believe those features define it as a draped bust. The other types don't have any hair curls for the bust like that.

Some nice finds Jim! I can relate to the hands hurting, Got that myself the other morning digging frozen ground in the woods for a 3 memorial spill-go figure. Have to say that bottle is really cool, even with the break is still in relatively good shape and worthy of display. The spoon is going to be the real stumper since it's not a production pattern. Thanks for the write up!

Thanks, Chris. lol, at least when I complain about hands hurting from the hard ground (or when the shovel keeps hitting big rocks), you don't call me a p***y (wimp) like a certain someone did. I remember chopping the ground, using the shovel like a hatchet just for a wheat. The bottle is early 1900s and prob only someone from antiques road show can ID it. I wonder if the piece is still there somewhere. I analyzed it a bit more and it looks like 4pc. The bottom is separate from the two halves, and the top lip doesn't have a seam. There are no belt marks on the bottom from a machine. There is no embossed lettering. Whatever it is, it is similar time to the Phillips milk of magnesia bottles. I think having a 40yr time frame might be good enough on the spoon. I should check the old map to see who owned the prop. Idk if the YWOA or YWCA has any records that old. At least it's partially identifiable.

Looks like you'll detect in any of our NE weather conditions. Some nice hunting with some nice finds. That DB has me stumped but I know it on your future goals list so here's hoping that it is....:thumbsup02:

Thanks Al. Yeah... it's what separates the men from the boys. Lol. I def was out once when the snow started covering my machine, two years ago. I am about 95% sure that's a draped bust which is only 1796-1807. The common years seem to be 1798, 1802, and 1803. Take your pick. Lol. That's right, I can prob remove it from my signature now.

BTV Digger
02-08-2017, 02:50 PM
Nice post Jim and congrats on the shoe buckle. Good to see you can get out...ground's way too frozen with too much snow up here so I must wait another month to 6 weeks or so. I'll take your word on the DB, hard to tell from the pics. HH!

MangoAve
02-10-2017, 11:03 AM
Nice post Jim and congrats on the shoe buckle. Good to see you can get out...ground's way too frozen with too much snow up here so I must wait another month to 6 weeks or so. I'll take your word on the DB, hard to tell from the pics. HH!

Thanks, John. Still pullin them up. Well....as of yesterday, I wont be getting out anytime soon. Time to be stuck inside doing renovations. My honey-do list gets put off on the account of detecting. Lol. Next hunt here is in 15 days, but it's a seeded beach hunt. Hope the ground thaws for you soon.

del
02-10-2017, 03:44 PM
Congrats on the nice shoe buckle frame Jim , couple of them sites look familiar ;)

OxShoeDrew
02-11-2017, 10:29 AM
Nice going, Jim! My first buckle looked just like that one. They told me it was a child's or woman's shoe buckle. I hope this snow melts fast!

MangoAve
02-15-2017, 01:55 PM
Congrats on the nice shoe buckle frame Jim , couple of them sites look familiar ;)

Haha. Which one(s)? You weren't the one out there the day before to dig one hole but leave a track of footprints thru the site, were ya? Or the mention of the short vid I sent you and Donnie? :lol: Thanks, tho, Dan.

Nice going, Jim! My first buckle looked just like that one. They told me it was a child's or woman's shoe buckle. I hope this snow melts fast!

Thank ye, Druzy, Idk, maybe I found the adult's one? This was reg size, just flatter than usual. Boy do I hope the snow goes too. :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:. We may get lucky that the ground didn't have a chance to freeze before the big snow, that once it melts we might get an immediate chance to be out... however it may be muddy. :lol::barf: This was just an immediate shut out. I thought it was over in Jan when I had a less than impressive hunt and then it was like 6". However it went away fairly quick that time within a week.

OxShoeDrew
02-15-2017, 04:37 PM
Oh, my mistake Jim...for some reason I thought it was small, maybe because it's so thick. Even better find!

MangoAve
02-16-2017, 07:34 AM
Oh, my mistake Jim...for some reason I thought it was small, maybe because it's so thick. Even better find!

Nbd, Drew. I didn't really put much for size reference in pics. Some of them do make it look like it could be small, however the two pics where it is on top of my buckle display case, you can see both the buckle that's currently in the banner, and the silverplate one that I found In August. Kinda gives in indirect size reference. Yeah, I was surprised as most of the targets at that site with any vdi higher than 60 when I swung, turned out to be an overload when I pinpointed, and they were junk. This didn't overload and was stable, however, a 90 degree harness link with less brass volume would overload the small coil. Kinda surprised a tad when I dug it.