PDA

View Full Version : Attention ÇÇ...

Krom
11-14-2009, 08:06 PM
Didn't want to interfere with your string, so I figured I show you here.
You can never go wrong with a fairground to swing in. I've smiled, hooted, and danced a LOT at this spot.
Snowy & I have been hittin' this fairground for 3 years now, and it's been out of commission for many, many years (it's privately owned, now, and yes, we do have permission).
Wanted to share a pic to show you what an old fairground will give ya (well, if it's old enough). :grin:
This is from '07 and '09 (with 2 coins from '08)... and this is only what I, myself, have found... with a factory pre-set Coins program... with no tweaking:

bmattioli
11-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Now that's quite impressive.. Nice collection from that site..

Bruce

del
11-14-2009, 08:17 PM
very sweet finds Joe , i had only a short taste of a park like . now its gone but i found some nice stuff . i hope you both have continued success there for a long time .

Dan

Krom
11-14-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm sure we will, Dan... as soon as they get off their butts and get the stumpin' equipment runnin' again. Lazy, poopheads! Don't they know we gotta save that silver... at all costs? :huh:
This summer pretty well sucked (although we did manage to get around the stumpage).
Hope they do some rooting around next year. That's what's gettin' the stuff up to the surface.
They didn't do anything this year. It was all luck (already have the location. lol).
Freaky, to be walking along, and spot a Barber quarter on the surface after a nice rainfall, ya know?
When he finally gets it the way he wants it (farmfields) it'll be off limits, so I'd say we've been very lucky, to-date.

RWJR13
11-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Those are some super find's.....CONGRATS !!! thumbsup01

angellionel
11-14-2009, 08:38 PM
Excellent finds Joe! thumbsup01 Imagine what else can be pulled from that site with the machine much more finely tuned. :)

Krom
11-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Really, Angel... but I think the best thing that can happen to me is for someone to do the Clockwerk Orange thing to me... i.e.: prop my eyes open with lid braces, and make me watch a DFX master do his thing, and show me all the how's, when's, where's, & why's.
My patience, unfortunately, are about >< long when it comes to reading instructions, and/or memorizin' anything I'm told that's for my own good. crying01
I think I blame the Army for that. lol
...but I hear ya... I really do! thumbsup01

angellionel
11-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Really, Angel... but I think the best thing that can happen to me to me is for someone to do the Clockwerk Orange thing to me... i.e.: prop my eyes open with lid braces, and make me watch a DFX master do his thing, and show me all the how's, when's, where's, & why's.
My patience, unfortunately, are about >< long when it comes to reading instructions, and/or memorizin' anything I'm told that's for my own good. crying01
I think I blame the Army for that. lol
...but I hear ya... I really do! thumbsup01

lol lol

Jason in Enid
11-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Wow, that's impressive. I think you just convinced me to quit being lazy. I know where our OLD county fairgrounds is. It's private land, that's been up for sale for a bit. Has some cattle on it right now, but the trees that lined the drive are still there. There are so many old parks, homes, lots, etc that I haven't put a lot of effort into getting into there.

I may just have to go track down the owner.

Epi-hunter
11-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Wow, that's impressive. I think you just convinced me to quit being lazy. I know where our OLD county fairgrounds is. It's private land, that's been up for sale for a bit. Has some cattle on it right now, but the trees that lined the drive are still there.

I may just have to go track down the owner.

Wow! :shocked04: That could be a goldmine! The worst you will get is a No. If it's for sale, now's the time. The seller won't really care, and the new buyer will probably have other plans when that time comes.

Epi-hunter
11-14-2009, 09:33 PM
Joe, that is an incredible collection of finds from one site! :shocked04:

Do you think anyone else ever hit that place with a metal detector before?

Snowy
11-14-2009, 09:44 PM
Don't mean to interject here and take over his answer, but I will because I've got more to add... :shocked04:

Yes... we've learned people have detected that area over the years, yet we're still pulling a ton of silver and some gold from there...

All the coins posted are just what he's found... My finds from that site aren't even posted, let alone whatever else has been pulled...

Jason... ask the owner... the worst you can get is a no...
And as fearful as I am of taking my own advice, I'm going to do the same because I know of ANOTHER old fairgrounds area that is currently owned by a business. I recently got the name of a guy who works for that company... his family started that business way back, and now he works for the business currently owning it.
AND... he's part of the management. So, if I can get permission for this new area, we might have another sweet spot on our hands. It has been utilized as a log yard for many years, so we might not even find anything there... Time will tell... I've got to obtain permission, first.

MNDigger
11-14-2009, 09:49 PM
That is incredible! I really wish the fairgrounds for our county wasn't under a shopping mall now! I am sure it would have produced similar finds.

OkieDigger
11-14-2009, 10:09 PM
Awesome finds Joe! I have a snowball's chance of a site like that around here.

Jason in Enid
11-14-2009, 10:53 PM
Awesome finds Joe! I have a snowball's chance of a site like that around here.

Okie, if I can get permission for my site, you can come hunt with me.

Bentfork
11-14-2009, 11:50 PM
All I can say WOW!

G.

hockeyguy
11-15-2009, 01:23 AM
holy smokes thats a lot of goods! thumbsup01

Dave
11-15-2009, 12:06 PM
Wow!! You have a very impressive collection. All of those from one site! Sweet. Like Dale mentioned, You wouldn't have a snowballs chance of finding a site that good around here. Not to mention, People around these parts just didn't have the income that Folks back East had during those years.

Krom
11-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Do you think anyone else ever hit that place with a metal detector before?

I'm sure of it, Ang... but now, the ground's gettin' moved around (well, it has been. I jus' hope it will again next year. :-\).

catskillcomics
11-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Hey Krom & Snowy, Great Finds.. our fairgrounds do get other MD'ers but I got a feeling they are hunting an entirely different area, such as the vendors area or Midway area..
Aaron and I have found several silver in just the 2 short hunts there so I suspect there will be plenty more .. hope we find some seated dimes or barber quarters, or better yet some halves or dollars.. Thanks for the inspiring post

Scott

Snowy
11-16-2009, 05:52 AM
Hit the right spots and I'm sure you will.
It's time for us to hit our area fairgrounds as well (the one still being used).

Krom
11-17-2009, 09:19 PM
Hey Krom & Snowy, Great Finds.. our fairgrounds do get other MD'ers but I got a feeling they are hunting an entirely different area, such as the vendors area or Midway area..
Aaron and I have found several silver in just the 2 short hunts there so I suspect there will be plenty more .. hope we find some seated dimes or barber quarters, or better yet some halves or dollars.. Thanks for the inspiring post

Scott

We've been kinda localizing ourselves to where the horse track grandstands were... and, of course, there was always a place where the drinkers could resort to, out of vision. Got some really nice ol' jugs there. ;)
My boss found a nice American-made, round-bottom, Ginger Ale bottle there, but Snowy & I mostly found med bottles. :-\

Snowy
11-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Adding to Krom's info....

I'd have to mention some info on the fairgrounds area we hunt....

The fairs on that land ended in the 1920s or so probably....
The land was abandoned and has been since then...
The property changed hands, never really had anything done to it except for the old railroad being torn up and turned into an ATV trail (the railroad ran along the edge of the fairgrounds, leaving space between dropoff/pickup points and actual pocket action).
Trees grew and filled the bustling area, and most recently, those trees were torn down.
The ground was then turned... that's when coins started popping... less digging, easier digging, etc...
And the ground was turned again... and a race car track was packed where the old horse track was.
The owner had some fun with his friends racing and crashing cars for a summer.

But tree removal and ground turning still continues in spurts at the old fairgrounds.

So, I think if you want the old silvers from the fairgrounds you currently hunt,
if it's still an active fairground, seek the deep signals. Put your detector on steroids and run it.
Good luck out there... hope you start pulling more of that old stuff!