PDA

View Full Version : cellar hunt before the snow

del
02-08-2017, 09:10 PM
HEAVYMETALNUT (Dave) called me last night and said he was going out today for a hunt before we get the 8-14 inches of white dumping tonight and tomorrow :shocked03:. He asked if I wanted to join him :lol: , yeah that's a no brainer :yes:. We found three confirmed cellar sites one was one of the biggest sites I've ever saw :shocked05:it was our last one of the day and the only one that had a few keepers to find . other than a few musket ball , I did recover part of a small sword (the quillon or cross guard ) from a mid to late 1700's era sword:cheering:. A nice small padlock with brass keyhole cover .:thumbsup02: and my only copper a draped bust large cent another 1802 , I'm back to back with 1802 largies (odd isn't it Jeff) .

Dan

calabash digger
02-08-2017, 09:43 PM
nice finds! you make it look easy .

Digger_O'Dell
02-08-2017, 10:16 PM
Very nice finds, that largie looks to be in great condition! Hope the snow predictions are off and what you do get doesn't stay long.

del
02-08-2017, 10:44 PM
nice finds! you make it look easy .

:lol: Thanks CD , I wish it was easy .

Very nice finds, that largie looks to be in great condition! Hope the snow predictions are off and what you do get doesn't stay long.

Thanks Chris , the coin has a lot of "meat" but its pretty porous even though it was up against the stones along a wall .

Here are some pictures of the draped bust , the lock had a crown and the letters VR stamped into the brass dust cover . I assume it stands for Victoria Regina making the lock date anywhere from 1837 to 1901. the sword quillon has a couple of broken parts to it but may have looked like this on a period era sword .

Digger Don
02-08-2017, 11:11 PM
Great job Dan. I'm glad you were able to get out before the snow.
That Draped Bust looks awesome!:envious:
Hope you can back out there soon!!!

Donnie B
02-09-2017, 05:49 AM
Great hunt Dan! That 1802 is very nice and the cross guard is an awesome relic!

aloldstuff
02-09-2017, 06:02 AM
Dan, back to back 1802's..:thumbsup02:..has that ever happened to you before? Great that you got in a hunt before the whiteness hits us.

Lodge Scent
02-09-2017, 08:31 AM
Wow! That cross guard is a great find there Dan :congrats: Odd yes, but getting on a run of 1802 DB's is a good thing :envious:. I like that lock. You don't often see them that small. Well done!

del
02-09-2017, 11:05 PM
Great job Dan. I'm glad you were able to get out before the snow.
That Draped Bust looks awesome!:envious:
Hope you can back out there soon!!!

Don we just got pounded with snow all day long we must have about 14 inches :girlcry: I am so grateful Dave called me up for this hunt . Thanks

Great hunt Dan! That 1802 is very nice and the cross guard is an awesome relic!

Donnie , even though one of the protective "arms" and grip guard are broken off its still the most complete one I have found to date . If it wasn't so late of a short notice I would of given you a call to go !

Dan, back to back 1802's..:thumbsup02:..has that ever happened to you before? Great that you got in a hunt before the whiteness hits us.

It sure hasn't Al , the only other back to back coin I've dug up were two 1919 Wheaties . I hope you fared well through this notable storm ? Thanks Al

Wow! That cross guard is a great find there Dan :congrats: Odd yes, but getting on a run of 1802 DB's is a good thing :envious:. I like that lock. You don't often see them that small. Well done!

Thanks Jeff , yes a run of draped bust coins is a good thing :yes: . I've gotten much smaller locks but this is the smallest with a dust cover :smitten:

MangoAve
02-10-2017, 10:45 AM
:angry: Just like Todd, I'm mad you didn't invite me either before this storm hit. I coulda played hooky too, with the workload being quite light. I was thinking this last night when I had to re-shovel the end of the driveway after the plow came. The blower wasn't fairing well against the fallen snow, I wasn't sure how it'd fair against the heavier, packed, plowed snow.

Grats on the DB cent and Dave for his 1853 half dime. Here's your oddity for back to back 1802 DB.

OxShoeDrew
02-11-2017, 07:45 AM
I'm glad you snuck in one more hunt before winter decided to start! We got 14in too. How deep was that copper? Hopefully we'll get high temps this week. Congrats!

Digger_O'Dell
02-11-2017, 08:41 AM
Way I see it, may be a chance for us in the frozen tundra to start catching up on hunting. Ground is still frozen here in Wi., but the snow is gone for the moment and high temps are upwards of 40 degrees. Whoohooo!