PDA

View Full Version : The Illinois boys are coming to Connecticut...it's a midwest invasion!

Full Metal Digger
02-09-2017, 09:37 PM
Hi Diggers,

Just a heads up for all our friends in the Connecticut area. Myself, Tim (Ill Digger), Digger Don and Alec, plus Tom (Hiluxyota) will be making a road trip up to your neck of the woods the last week of March.

We are all looking forward to 6 days of detecting for Colonial coins and relics (you know, the stuff we CAN'T find here in Illinois). We plan to hit some old parks, do some door knocking, and maybe if we are lucky, some nice person will take us to a cellar hole or two!

Our plan is drive up on Friday/Saturday (it's a 16-hour drive for me) and stay in the Hartford area for at least one night before deciding which way we should go. We WELCOME any ideas and suggestions from you!

Thanks in advance for your hospitality and friendship!

Ill Digger
02-09-2017, 10:54 PM
Oh yeah!! :yahoo:
I can hardly wait!!
My name is on the "time off" list already at work, my new boots just came in the mail, my old Etrac is in the shop (hoping to have it back before I go :crossfingers: ). Got a new set of camo Killer Bees head phones for Christmas. Hoping to get a cordless system for the new Bees in the next couple of weeks when I cash in last years clad. Oh yeah I'm gonna be loaded for bear! Probably be bringing along my Excalibur II in case anyone wants to get there feet wet. I'm in! .... or just hit a beach, I'm in. :lol:
My trip was cut short on my first visit in 2015. This year I'm hoping for close to a week of hunting for some early Americana! Like some of the items that the eastern members post on here that make me wanna puke with envy. :barf::barf: :lol:
I was hoping to meet a few more of the Eastern membership during my last trip, maybe this trip that'll be a possibility.
If anyone wants meet up during the week speek up. Dave and I are willing to do some driving to meet up and hunt. If a certain day of the week works best let us know here that will help us plan out our week.

I'm up for any type of hunting as I'm sure Dave is. Cellar holes, parks, houses, colonial fields, old beaches....whatever!
Just hoping to find something that we just don't have access to here in the Midwest.
Thanks in advance.
42 days and counting....

Digger_O'Dell
02-09-2017, 11:08 PM
Sounds like an awesome trip, wish I could join in on that kind of trip. Take lots of pics and maybe some video for those of us stuck here in the Midwest. Maybe we can live a bit vicariously through you guys! Best of luck and hope you score some great bucket listers!

del
02-09-2017, 11:35 PM
:cheering::cheering: Woo -Hoo !!! :cheering::cheering: Can't wait Gentlemen , I'm hoping to have a few cellar sites and maybe a field permission or two .

Digger Don
02-10-2017, 12:07 AM
We can't wait to get out there again. Alec and I had a blast last year thanks to Del, Drew & Bri. I found my oldest coin to date at a cellar hole that Dan brought us to, a 1723 Woods hibernia Half Penny. We just can't detect like that in Illinois.
We're really looking forward to getting together with some of east coast friends again.

As you may be aware, I do most of my detecting on private permissions and I can't wait to knock on the door of house built in the 1700s. ( I'll probably dig a 64 Rosie ) LOL.
Counting the Days!!!

MangoAve
02-10-2017, 11:11 AM
Wow, five people making it out here. Dan already being the ambassador. I forgot all you guys came up this past winter cuz I wasn't around. Don, your oldest coin beats mine by 11 yrs, and I live here. And, you might not be far off. I do have an 1830 permission and there were very few coins. I could pull up a rein guide and a flat button (early 1800s) but the coin was a merc. If the cards line up, maybe I'll get to meet some of you (I've met Tim-meh 2 yr ago). Unfortunately one place has a parking ban until late April, so it cuts my list of cellar holes from something like 200 to 130.. hard to chose.

Full Metal Digger
02-10-2017, 12:05 PM
Wow guys, I am starting to get excited seeing all the comments on this thread! I was thinking what my bucket list might be for this trip.
1. Draped bust LC
2. State Copper
3. Spanish Silver
4. Any silver colonial item (thimble, shoe buckle, etc.)

Digger Don
02-10-2017, 12:44 PM
Wow guys, I am starting to get excited seeing all the comments on this thread! I was thinking what my bucket list might be for this trip.
1. Draped bust LC
2. State Copper
3. Spanish Silver
4. Any silver colonial item (thimble, shoe buckle, etc.)Give me a green copper, a red shield nickel & a silver anything old and I'm good to go!!

Ill Digger
02-10-2017, 01:21 PM
Give me a green copper, a red shield nickel & a silver anything old and I'm good to go!!

:coffeelaugh:

Digger_O'Dell
02-10-2017, 02:41 PM
If I had the opportunity, number 1 bucket list would be a Fugio.
Second would be a flowing hair silver.
Third draped bust quarter. :shocked03:

del
02-10-2017, 03:40 PM
Wow, five people making it out here. Dan already being the ambassador.

Feel free to be an ambassador for a day or two Jim , it would be nice for them to be with a few members here before they leave . You know how it is with cellar sites there is only so much room to swing on some of these . I'm hoping a few more local members step up and show 'em some good ol' New England hospitality .

Ill Digger
02-10-2017, 03:59 PM
Feel free to be an ambassador for a day or two Jim , it would be nice for them to be with a few members here before they leave . You know how it is with cellar sites there is only so much room to swing on some of these . I'm hoping a few more local members step up and show 'em some good ol' New England hospitality .
I know at least one day we'll be out knocking on doors. One day Dave and Don have a day set up with some of the YouTubers. But I'm up for anything

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Tony Two-Cent
02-10-2017, 08:43 PM
Best of luck, you guys! Bring home some colonial goodies!

I'm so bummed that I can't go. My company won't give me the time off. I even asked them if I could take the week off without pay, no dice.

I hope you all bring home some bucket list items!

lee
02-11-2017, 09:30 AM
i am so up for this if you blokes wouldn't mind me tagging along,i also have a few permissions in old weathersfield where i live and would be more than happy to take you lads hunting.
you say your staying around Hartford and my town is right next door so it would be great to get out with you,i would also love to hit some cellar holes with Dan again,i do for cellar hole what a fish does for a bicycle !!! im terrible !!! so i really need to watch the master at work some more.
hope to meet you lads when you come.
lee

Ill Digger
02-11-2017, 09:34 AM
i am so up for this if you blokes wouldn't mind me tagging along,i also have a few permissions in old weathersfield where i live and would be more than happy to take you lads hunting.
you say your staying around Hartford and my town is right next door so it would be great to get out with you,i would also love to hit some cellar holes with Dan again,i do for cellar hole what a fish does for a bicycle !!! im terrible !!! so i really need to watch the master at work some more.
lee
That would be awesome Lee! I would love to meet you and do some huntin'! Thank you so much! We'll have to hammer out the details a little closer to our arrival.

Full Metal Digger
02-11-2017, 01:32 PM
lee

Hey Lee, I appreciate the offer and I know the guys do too. We would like to meet as many folks from the forum as we can. Looking forward to meeting you and digging some colonial nectar! LOL.

Full Metal Digger
02-11-2017, 01:39 PM
My company won't give me the time off. I even asked them if I could take the week off without pay, no dice.

Tony, I called your boss and told him I was Dr. Van Nostrum and we needed you at the Helsinki Institute for studies in superior manliness. He didn't seem impressed. I told him that a giant asteroid was going to strike the earth if you and Bruce Willis didn't fly into space and drop a nuclear bomb on it. It was a no-go my friend. Sorry you can't join us. You'll be missed for sure.

del
02-11-2017, 01:43 PM
I would definitely take that invite from Lee if I were you guys :yes: Weathersfield is one of the oldest towns in Ct. ( it was attacked by the Pequot Indians in 1637 ) and he has some great old home site permissions . Very generous of you Lee :notworthy:

Full Metal Digger
02-11-2017, 07:31 PM
I would definitely take that invite from Lee if I were you guys :yes: Weathersfield is one of the oldest towns in Ct. ( it was attacked by the Pequot Indians in 1637 ) and he has some great old home site permissions . Very generous of you Lee :notworthy:

WOW! I had no idea about that town's history. Yes Lee, thank you VERY much for your offer. :shocked05:

Digger Don
02-12-2017, 01:05 PM
That is very generous of you lee. I' know we would all love to meet you and do a little hunting.
I'm staying in Rocky Hill. I think i'll be only about ten minutes from you.
Thanks, Don

lee
02-12-2017, 08:48 PM
That is very generous of you lee. I' know we would all love to meet you and do a little hunting.
I'm staying in Rocky Hill. I think i'll be only about ten minutes from you.
Thanks, Don

less than that mate ! this going to be really cool lads.
look up a park called quary park in rocky hill , its on old main street leading to weathersfield, some good history there and needs to be hit properly

MangoAve
02-13-2017, 10:28 AM

We would like to meet as many folks from the forum as we can. Looking forward to meeting you and digging some colonial nectar! LOL.

I'd have to think of spots that can have that many people. Sometimes the parking is the issue for spots, not just the swinging room. Five, plus me minimum means def two cars. I think one spot has room for only 1 car. Good thing the area has the parking ban for the 70+ cellars, otherwise I'd be killing them with that hike in there. Lol, Dan, I didn't realize there was an intent as well to meet as many of us as possible pending other circumstances. For farm fields, it's not too easy. The one big place with over 100 Acres, there were a few instances where I was lucky I didn't get banned...not from intentional actions. And the two big town ones, Idk about having 6-7ppl on the field. Nothing wrong with it... but for future. Two ppl out there, no one should question, yet it happened with only me. I am sure there could be a field on private parcel big enough for the group. I may be able to be a second ambassador, or team up with someone ... Drew, Dan (you), or AL, or Lee or whomever.

Dan... I always offered spots (even tho I realize now that we know about 95% of the same cellars, prob 75% including private operating home sites over 150 yrs old), whether or not you asked me, bcuz often we go in your jeep and you often have your sites. My little contribution I could add I guess.

I would definitely take that invite from Lee if I were you guys Wethersfield is one of the oldest towns in Ct. ( it was attacked by the Pequot Indians in 1637 ) and he has some great old home site permissions

WOW! I had no idea about that town's history. Yes Lee, thank you VERY much for your offer.

Wethersfield and Windsor compete for oldest town in CT at 1634 and 1633 respectively. Today I just read an "on this day" article and I guess Galileo was on trial in 1633 for the heliocentric universe. They were charging him for this at the same time people were settling in central CT.
I know Simsbury was burned in King Phillips war. He has some nice permissions in Wethersfield, although I think my site up near me where he found his 2 WLH was better to him, Lol.

Ill Digger
02-13-2017, 07:24 PM
less than that mate ! this going to be really cool lads.
look up a park called quary park in rocky hill , its on old main street leading to weathersfield, some good history there and needs to be hit properly
That's great! Thanks for the offers Lee! We can't wait either! This is gonna be epic!
I just can't wait to be called mate. :lol:

aloldstuff
02-14-2017, 06:16 AM
The invasion is coming and I would like to extend an invitation to take a couple of our mid-west friends out detecting. I have been thinking about the time frame here. As you know I have some permissions on a couple of great fields, the only thing is when the farmers will plant???? I live in Westfield MA, Inc. 1669. There is also the park in Springfield from which RobW and myself have taken out over 200 silvers.....

Full Metal Digger
02-14-2017, 12:43 PM
Thanks everyone for all the great ideas and offers to share sites! The 5 of us don't plan on all being together every day at every hunt. Tim and I plan to go off on our own a day or two and the same for Don, Alec and I. My cell phone number is 314-488-0801.

Thanks again everyone.

Digger Don
02-14-2017, 05:47 PM
Wow, I can't believe how generous you are all being with your time and hunting spots. I'm looking forward to meeting you guys.
I would love to find a field or old parks while we're there. I'm still looking for my first shield nickel, can't seem to find one in illinois, Maybe I can get lucky in Connecticut. If not, I know i'll have a great time trying!!

Ken C
02-16-2017, 08:06 PM
If you guys every come to NJ, give me a shout. A few hours swinging and then a few beers on me. :beerbuddy:

Ill Digger
02-22-2017, 04:53 PM
The invasion is coming and I would like to extend an invitation to take a couple of our mid-west friends out detecting. I have been thinking about the time frame here. As you know I have some permissions on a couple of great fields, the only thing is when the farmers will plant???? I live in Westfield MA, Inc. 1669. There is also the park in Springfield from which RobW and myself have taken out over 200 silvers.....
I talked to a friend of mine who worked on farms a bunch as a young man, and he said no way the crops will be in that early! He said a general rule of thumb is the 3rd week of May. I hope he's right! I'd love to be able to hunt some of those colonial fields again Al!

If you guys every come to NJ, give me a shout. A few hours swinging and then a few beers on me. :beerbuddy: Thanks Ken! We'll definitely have to keep that in mind. I'm up for just about anything.

Digger Don
03-03-2017, 10:00 AM
:detecting::detecting:21 DAYS :detecting::detecting:

leslie(nova scotia)
03-04-2017, 08:09 AM
What no Nova Scotia invasion? Did tamper through Maine and Michigan though. Hope you fellows have a great trip and looking forward to the post!

OxShoeDrew
03-04-2017, 10:06 AM
Looking forward to this! Had a blast the last time the IL boys came!

Digger Don
03-04-2017, 10:10 PM
Looking forward to this! Had a blast the last time the IL boys came!
So are we Drew. We had a fantastic trip last year. You guys were great hosts.
20 Days until we head east!!!

lee
03-05-2017, 06:06 PM
im looking forward to going out with you lot for a nice ruby Murry (curry)

del
03-17-2017, 09:07 PM
we have about a 10 inches of snow (give or take an inch or two) now on the ground with limited days of temps above freezing next week and we have a forecast of another 6 inches for this Sunday , your week is in jeopardy of having some white stuff on the ground for you visit here !

Full Metal Digger
03-18-2017, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the update Del. If your snow is still there on Thursday (with more forecast over the weekend) then I will have to cancel and try again another time. :badday:

del
03-19-2017, 09:08 PM
The good news is we never got more snow only flurries and this week looks to be sunny with a few days of almost 50 degrees and 60 by Saturday so it looks like it will be great for you guys on your trip! :cheering:

With that out of the way , what day do you all plan to be out here and what day is going to be your first day for detecting ? Unfortunately I can't be with you on Saturday but Sunday and any day during that week I should be free !

Full Metal Digger
03-19-2017, 09:12 PM
My plan is to arrive in Wethersfield on Saturday afternoon and check into the hotel. Don't know if I'll have time to do one door knock Saturday evening or not but Sunday I am all yours!

Digger Don
03-19-2017, 10:04 PM
Thats great news. Same as Dave, Arriving Saturday afternoon in Rocky Hill.
Sunday is wide open for us!!

lee
03-20-2017, 03:25 AM
My plan is to arrive in Wethersfield on Saturday afternoon and check into the hotel. Don't know if I'll have time to do one door knock Saturday evening or not but Sunday I am all yours!
your staying in wethersfield ? HA i know where your staying,its like 20 seconds from my house.

Ill Digger
03-21-2017, 07:18 AM
Same here. Be in Wethersfield Saturday afternoon sometime. Sunday being the first full day.

Good news about the snow situation!
3 days out. What's left on the ground now? Maybe just a few inches here and there?

MangoAve
03-21-2017, 09:27 AM
Same here. Be in Wethersfield Saturday afternoon sometime. Sunday being the first full day.

Good news about the snow situation!
3 days out. What's left on the ground now? Maybe just a few inches here and there?

That's a relative thing, Tim. As of Sunday, there were a few inches here and there down near the shore. Mostly melted there. Up near the MA border, there is 3-4" still left as of last night, but there were bare spots here and there as well as s few drifts up near 5 or 6". Don't get me started on the snow banks that are still there. Mine may take longer cuz for some reason the plow drivers like to chew up my side of the street.. and we know the dirt will act as an insulator on top of the snow. By the weekend I believe I will be out. Ugh.. I do think there is crap scheduled on the 25th too. Hope it's a little later so I can do something in the morning and focus on full day Sunday.

del
03-21-2017, 04:21 PM
Gentlemen , I will have anti tick spray with me but I would advise pre spraying your clothes (pants , shirts , socks and even shoes ) if you already have some on hand . Not mixing your worn clothes with your clean clothes . I don't think the tiny nymph type ticks will be out but the regular or deer type ticks will dress accordingly , also there is a good chance we will have a few rain showers while your visiting so a good light raincoat or a few of them cheap plastic ponchos would go far.

Dan

Ill Digger
03-21-2017, 04:35 PM
Oh great!!! Ticks!!!! Crap I forgot about those parasitic little pieces of.... joy! I'm like a tic magnet! 😭 Anti-tic spray huh? Never hrard of that. Any brand you recommend? 😃

del
03-21-2017, 05:44 PM
Oh great!!! Ticks!!!! Crap I forgot about those parasitic little pieces of.... joy! I'm like s tic magnet!  Anti-tic spray huh? Never hrard of that. Any brand you recommend? 

Sawyer 's with permethrin , you only spray it on your clothes not your skin . this stuff will last through a couple of cycles in your wash . I've seen ticks purposely try to fall off clothes before it kills them .

Full Metal Digger
03-21-2017, 05:49 PM
Del, Can we buy that stuff once we get there? Is 2 cans enough for 4 guys to share? Thanks, Dave.

del
03-21-2017, 06:06 PM
Del, Can we buy that stuff once we get there? Is 2 cans enough for 4 guys to share? Thanks, Dave.

I usually get it from either Cabelas or Dick's sporting goods yes it can be bought out here Dave . Two cans should be enough for all you guys .

Ill Digger
03-22-2017, 07:56 AM
I drive right past a cabelas twice a day going to and from work. I'll stop today and see if they even have it out here. If they do I'll grab a couple of cans. Thanks Dan!

Noah
03-22-2017, 10:18 AM
Good luck Del. Make sure my buddy Digger Don and his son Al come back with some colonial silver to make me jealous! Hope to join you there some day!

MangoAve
03-22-2017, 10:28 AM
Gentlemen , I will have anti tick spray with me but I would advise pre spraying your clothes (pants , shirts , socks and even shoes ) if you already have some on hand . Not mixing your worn clothes with your clean clothes . I don't think the tiny nymph type ticks will be out but the regular or deer type ticks will dress accordingly , also there is a good chance we will have a few rain showers while your visiting so a good light raincoat or a few of them cheap plastic ponchos would go far.
Dan

Oh great!!! Ticks!!!! Crap I forgot about those parasitic little pieces of.... joy! I'm like a tic magnet!  Anti-tic spray huh? Never hrard of that. Any brand you recommend? 

I haven't seen the coming weather past Sunday, as of yet. Sure I could look at my annoying weather app that has to put a temp in the phone banner every few hr that I have to clear out. :bangahead02: Yesterday I did do some hiking, but as of yet, the hillier parts of the state had a bit of snow left. The valley areas where I am at are down now, but the 3-6" was still up in the hills. Well, there is a mountain nearby so idk if it qualifies as a hill area. lol.

Sure enough, tho, yesterday when I got home I had one of those smaller fuggers on me. On my hand, after like 3 hr being home nonetheless. WTH? And I wasn't even in any thick brush or anything. Barely touched any trees and gloves were on my hands. All the clothes that were with me came off when I got home.

I have a GC for Cabela's. Maybe I can grab some this season. Do you know if it messes with plastics? I unknowingly sprayed my head with the compressed OFF stuff. I think it was even a 'naturals' type and it turned the plastic of my headphones white.

lee
03-22-2017, 02:27 PM
I have a GC for Cabela's. Maybe I can grab some this season. Do you know if it messes with plastics? I unknowingly sprayed my head with the compressed OFF stuff. I think it was even a 'naturals' type and it turned the plastic of my headphones white.[/QUOTE]

and look what it did to your hair !!!!!!!!

Ill Digger
03-22-2017, 05:03 PM
Our Cabelas had it. I stopped after work and got two bottles. Hopefully that should do it.

del
03-22-2017, 05:32 PM
Well as for schedules to work out with you guys

Lee has this first Sunday the following Wednesday free to detect
Aloldstuff has Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday to work with
I can pick up the other days in question Monday and Friday and any day Al can spend

OxShoeDrew
03-22-2017, 05:34 PM
I find that any time the temp reaches the high 30s there can be ticks....doesn't matter what time of year. I'm no scientist but that's what I've found being in the woods everyday.
Also, I live in the north east hills and I can now see bare ground in spots....so I think most of the area will be huntable by Saturday.

aloldstuff
03-22-2017, 06:16 PM
We are getting close....I will have next Tues-Wed=Thur off. I have spoken to one of the farmers and he is cool with having multiple diggers on his property. This field I have gotten Ct copper, 1/2 cent, IH's, newer silver, some great buttons. Lee got his silver dollar here and Trooper bri got his 1st colonial copper (counterfeit).

Tim, I am pretty sure that the field I took you to where you got the LC is also available and right down the street is another field(park) where KG, LC, seated, and the MA militia button came out of.

the field where all of the CT's have been found, I have not spoken with the farmer but I am sure he would not mind three of us there.

Call me if any of these sites seem worthy....413-454-3718

Al

Ill Digger
03-22-2017, 06:59 PM
Thats gteat Al! I'd love to hunt that field again! I'll give ya call later!

Digger Don
03-22-2017, 07:30 PM

I can pick up the other days in question Monday and Friday and any day Al can spend
Sounds like this is really going to come together. Thanks Guys!!!

Digger_O'Dell
03-22-2017, 07:33 PM
Glad to see this Midwest invasion again. I'll be watching closely Sunday for a flurry of great finds. Sorry I couldn't make it myself, just not in the budget this year. But hopefully I can dig vicariously through your posts! :daydream: Maybe have a chance late in the year, or plan for next year. GL to all!

Noah
03-22-2017, 09:35 PM
Coming together alright. I'll be here digging rosies!! :girlcry:

Digger Don
03-22-2017, 09:49 PM
Alec and I would love the chance to hunt a colonial field

MangoAve
03-23-2017, 06:24 AM

Last night is when my damn weather app finally updated to show enough. I can see until next Wed with a hint at Thurs. Granted as mine shows there is highest prob of rain on Mon yet when I come in to work today someone said something about sleet on Sunday. So yet again weathermen have no clue, just a guess. (I'd say ask Jay, but no one here is from ytc, but you get it Dan). Lee would be parks and schools and maybe fields. Al looks like he be providing colonial fields. Dan has cellars. Prob something like Wed-Fri I can take a day off work to be a host, now that I have an idea what everyone else is doing. I do have Sun off normally, but Lee can start out the week of the Midwest zombies. :grin: I'd prob be going for cellar holes.

Full Metal Digger
03-23-2017, 08:04 AM
I just want to say thank you to all our hosts for really putting together a good trip for us! Your generosity is noteworthy and I sincerely appreciate it.

Digger Don
03-23-2017, 08:13 AM
I just want to say thank you to all our hosts for really putting together a good trip for us! Your generosity is noteworthy and I sincerely appreciate it.
Well said and I totally agree. THANKS

Ill Digger
03-23-2017, 08:43 AM
I just got off the phone with Al and I told him the same thing!
You guys are great! :grouphug:

lee
03-23-2017, 12:12 PM
i sent daddy digger me phone number but not you here it is mate 860 297 1279

lee
03-23-2017, 12:19 PM
weather update lads: still snow on the ground in wethersfield but big patches of green grass showing through,temperature as i type is 36f but i can hear water dripping off my roof so its melting.
very sunny outside but cold enough to freeze the b#lls off a brass monkey,im going to do a bit of shopping in a bit so ill test the ground for digability....digability ? did i just invent a new word ?.

Digger Don
03-23-2017, 12:44 PM
weather update lads: still snow on the ground in wethersfield but big patches of green grass showing through,temperature as i type is 36f but i can hear water dripping off my roof so its melting.
very sunny outside but cold enough to freeze the b#lls off a brass monkey,im going to do a bit of shopping in a bit so ill test the ground for digability....digability ? did i just invent a new word ?.
Hey Lee. how many guys are you able to accommodate Sunday? I believe there are 5 of us. I know some places have limited space. just trying to plan out the first few days.
Thanks, Don

lee
03-23-2017, 12:50 PM
as many as you like mate, we are going to hit three spots, colt park next to the old colt building,the legendary spoonville and the place i found all the Spanish silver, all big areas of land and open to the public.

Digger Don
03-23-2017, 01:09 PM
as many as you like mate, we are going to hit three spots, colt park next to the old colt building,the legendary spoonville and the place i found all the Spanish silver, all big areas of land and open to the public. Excellent! sounds great, Thank You very much Lee.

Ill Digger
03-23-2017, 01:10 PM
as many as you like mate, we are going to hit three spots, colt park next to the old colt building,the legendary spoonville and the place i found all the Spanish silver, all big areas of land and open to the public.
Thank you very much Lee! This is gonna be awesome! Can't wait!

Ill Digger
03-23-2017, 01:11 PM
Has anyone heard from Angel? I sent him a PM a few weeks ago letting him know about the invasion but I haven't heard from him.

lee
03-23-2017, 02:47 PM
Has anyone heard from Angel? I sent him a PM a few weeks ago letting him know about the invasion but I haven't heard from him.

ahh the rare and elusive angel,i have heard finding him is like finding rocking horse poop...lol
i aint seen a post from him for ages.

Ill Digger
03-23-2017, 04:08 PM
ahh the rare and elusive angel,i have heard finding him is like finding rocking horse poop...lol
i aint seen a post from him for ages.
Hmmm. Rocking horse poop?
What's that ring up like? [emoji38] lol

Well hopefully the great one will make an appearance [emoji120]

Noah
03-23-2017, 07:51 PM
You all have a great time. Hope I can catch you all next time. Can't wait to read what you all find. :perfect10:

MangoAve
03-24-2017, 07:31 AM
Ah, that colt park. Where I nabbed my first IH. Crusty little thing next to a piece of iron. Never been to spoonville cuz heard even people in my club hit it. But I did try the similar open space just north of it.

Hmmm. Rocking horse poop?
What's that ring up like? [emoji38] lol

It has a VDI of 98, or 13-49 for you minelab users.

Tony Two-Cent
03-24-2017, 07:57 AM
Best of luck to all of you guys! I hope you all find a bucket full of state coppers, draped busts, Spanish silver and tons of colonial relics!

Digger Don
03-24-2017, 08:18 AM
Best of luck to all of you guys! I hope you all find a bucket full of state coppers, draped busts, Spanish silver and tons of colonial relics! Thanks Tony, I really wish you could have joined us!!! I'll send pics if I dig anything really old.

Ill Digger
03-24-2017, 09:46 AM
Best of luck to all of you guys! I hope you all find a bucket full of state coppers, draped busts, Spanish silver and tons of colonial relics!
Yeah Tony, wish you were gonna be there. Next time.
And I'd love to find one of any of those!

Ill Digger
03-24-2017, 01:42 PM
Here I come!!:happy:

OxShoeDrew
03-24-2017, 06:38 PM
I hope to meet up with you guys for a few hours!

Fire Fighter 43
03-24-2017, 07:54 PM
Good luck to all of you. May the colonial Gods shine upon you.

del
03-24-2017, 10:41 PM
Safe travels everyone , see you either Sunday or Monday !

lee
03-25-2017, 06:55 AM
Are you here yet ? Are you here yet ? Are you here yet ? ����

Full Metal Digger
03-25-2017, 05:33 PM
We have all made it safely here and already have finds.

OxShoeDrew
03-25-2017, 05:58 PM
We have all made it safely here and already have finds.

HOORAY!! What did you guys get?

Ill Digger
03-25-2017, 06:31 PM
Between the 5 of us we've got the dime grand slam, 2 center, a couple IHCs, War nickle... You know the usual. Where's all the old stuff? :lol:

Noah
03-25-2017, 08:36 PM
Al got a 2 cent piece I heard! :congrats:

lee
03-26-2017, 03:21 PM
just a little update and im not gona give away to much coz i want the Illinois posse to post first, but i will tell you there was a walking liberty half,numerous wheat's and Indians, a good few mercury's,3 George 3rd coppers,a silver button,musket balls,bail seals...and wait for it....wait for it........i got a Spanish cob,the forth Spanish silver i have had off of this tiny field.
pictures to follow and i believe some great video footage....apologies in advance for me acting like a loony :bananadance::detecting:

Full Metal Digger
03-26-2017, 05:50 PM
Not sure what my copper is. It's toasted but I can see the letter H plain as day around the edge. Could be HAL or HRL. Anyway, Dan can you call me or Don? No one knows what the plan is for tomorrow! 314-488-0801.

del
03-26-2017, 07:14 PM
sounds like you boys did very well :cheering:I hope your up for some cellar hole hunting in the morning !:detecting:

Noah
03-26-2017, 08:12 PM
Don probably found the walker, he's good for half dollars!

Digger_O'Dell
03-26-2017, 10:30 PM
Good luck, hope the weather holds out. Been raining here in Milwaukee since Friday.

Ill Digger
03-27-2017, 06:37 AM
Don probably found the walker, he's good for half dollars!

Nope.

Here's a group shot.

MangoAve
03-27-2017, 07:43 AM
Dave, I did see that almost look like a defined 'H'. With the left facing bust it was def a KG2. Because I don't have either in my hand right now, I cant remember which had the "NIA" visible and which had the lady Britannia visible. One may be a KG2 Hibernia and one my just be the regular KG2. Or they both are KG2. There is no doubt that I have that it is one or the other and not something else.

just a little update and im not gona give away to much coz i want the Illinois posse to post first, but i will tell you there was a walking liberty half,numerous wheat's and Indians, a good few mercury's,3 George 3rd coppers,a silver button,musket balls,bail seals...and wait for it....wait for it........i got a Spanish cob,the forth Spanish silver i have had off of this tiny field.
apologies in advance for me acting like a loony :bananadance:

So a third KG came up? Nice they were able to get a few LC on their first day. That field was no good to me. I don't know why I grabbed the darn trowel from the car for a big open field. Wait, you are portraying you are fully aware of your actions. No plausible deniability now. :lol:

Good luck, hope the weather holds out. Been raining here in Milwaukee since Friday.

It's been raining here lately, too. Off and on Sat and Sun and today looks a bit wet. Not only that, but it only seems the open areas are snow free cuz the same town as this field, maybe a 15 min ride, there was still 3"+ worth of snow.

Here's a group shot.

There's 8 In this pic. Must mean it was taken while I was still there. Did Al make it for the first park, but not this field? I can't believe I heard a few were still there until 7p; I was home relaxing by then.

Ill Digger
03-27-2017, 08:09 AM
9 including me! lol
Yeah you were still there. You're either 4 or 7

Ill Digger
03-27-2017, 08:10 AM
Little Al (Alec)was there. He's 1. But Al oldstuff wasn't there at all.

Ill Digger
03-27-2017, 09:10 AM
Dave, I did see that almost look like a defined 'H'. With the left facing bust....

If you ask me it's a right facing bust. That's what it looked like when I seen it out in the field and it still looks right facing to me. I am almost positive I can see a definite chin nose and forehead. I was thinking a KG III. But what do I know? lol

MangoAve
03-27-2017, 10:33 AM
Little Al (Alec)was there. He's 1. But Al oldstuff wasn't there at all.

If you ask me it's a right facing bust. That's what it looked like when I seen it out in the field and it still looks right facing to me. I am almost positive I can see a definite chin nose and forehead. I was thinking a KG III. But what do I know? lol

So that about Al getting a 2 center is incorrect. Maybe it was because my worthless token with a nice shield made it into a 2ctr.

Is this because you want a certain someone to win the $50 bet? :lol: When the nose is <, that is left facing. Often when you see a jagged edge and the rounded convex edge, the convex edge is the top back of the head and the jagged edge would be the nose, lips and chin. Easiest way to describe.

aloldstuff
03-27-2017, 05:26 PM
Aloldstuff was working

lee
03-27-2017, 07:09 PM
so, from what i glean from the hunt yesterday these are the totals
wheat's 16
Indians 8
mercury's 7
roses 2
walking liberty's 1
Hibernian 1
ct coppers 2
Spanish cobs 1
silver button 1
silver plated cloak button 1
musket balls 9
i would say that was bloody good for a first hunt lads, wouldn't you ?.
p.s
you blokes are a great laugh and im glad you get my sense of humor,it was a real pleasure hunting with you and i hope over the next few days i can get out with you a few more times.

del
03-27-2017, 08:56 PM
so, from what i glean from the hunt yesterday these are the totals
wheat's 16
Indians 8
mercury's 7
roses 2
walking liberty's 1
Hibernian 1
ct coppers 2
Spanish cobs 1
silver button 1
silver plated cloak button 1
musket balls 9
i would say that was bloody good for a first hunt lads, wouldn't you ?.
p.s
you blokes are a great laugh and im glad you get my sense of humor,it was a real pleasure hunting with you and i hope over the next few days i can get out with you a few more times.

that's a great first day :notworthy: Lee your the "host-master" mate !:perfect10:

Lodge Scent
03-27-2017, 09:13 PM
Them boys from the Land O' Lincoln are doing just fine in the Nutmeg State. :thumbsup02:

Digger_O'Dell
03-27-2017, 10:22 PM
My guess is with the practice digging trashy Midwest parks, a colonial field should be a dream! :thumbsup02:

Ill Digger
03-27-2017, 10:35 PM
My guess is with the practice digging trashy Midwest parks, a colonial field should be a dream! :thumbsup02:

Yes and no Chris. I dug a few colonial pulltabs out in those fields. :lol:

But yes the fields are way quieter than a park back home. But our fields are pretty quiet too. Unfortunately too quiet sometimes.

Digger_O'Dell
03-27-2017, 11:45 PM
Yeah, I bet those colonial pull tabs get you every time! :rofl:
And I agree, the fields here are too quiet most of the time except for all the nuts, bolts, washers, and fence wire. :shocked01: The fields here have completely skunked me so far this year.

Hiluxyota
03-28-2017, 05:08 AM
The rain has been slowing us down a bit out here but next couple of days looks like sunny skies , so hope all of us can make up for what we missed out on due to the rain. Me and I'll digger still ignored the pouring rain and managed to hit a couple of parks and made a few good finds. Thanks again lee for taking us to that field where me and Dave scored colonial coppers and other relics that will go into our collection back home ..

MangoAve
03-28-2017, 06:47 AM
Hibernian 1
ct coppers 2

I would say that was bloody good for a first hunt lads, wouldn't you ?.

Yes, Lee, you got a place they could nab some colonial finds on their first day. Good job.
Weren't there two silver plated buttons and one silver button?

And for the coppers, I def know for sure one is a KG2. I saw Britannia (the figure on the back) and it def had a separated "NIA" on the 2:30/3 o'clock position of the reverse. Hibernia's have the whole word un-interrupted above the harp on a Hibernia. And the CT copper would have the ET LIB on the back in the similar position. Maybe we'll see once they post their finds. I'm thinking they will wait until the end of their trip, tho for a totals ftw.

del
03-29-2017, 06:21 PM
The Illinois boys did better than the New England Lads today ! some really nice finds were made by Dave and Tom !

Ill Digger
03-29-2017, 08:35 PM
The Illinois boys did better than the New England Lads today ! some really nice finds were made by Dave and Tom !

You ain't kidding Dan. :wow:

Full Metal Digger
03-29-2017, 08:49 PM
Here's my little beauty from today!

del
03-29-2017, 08:53 PM

These classic heads are usually worn pretty smooth Dave because of the very soft copper they used during this series , you really snagged a nice one :loveit: today !It was great to finally meet you in person today too !

Lodge Scent
03-29-2017, 08:59 PM
Nice! Like Dan says you rarely see a decent Classic head. You got a nice one there Dave. :congrats:

Noah
03-29-2017, 09:24 PM
Hell of a find buddy! I dream of finding the early ones. Guess I have to get out east too!

Noah
03-29-2017, 09:26 PM
Hell of a find buddy! I dream of finding the early ones. Guess I have to get out east too!
Please show the back side too!

aloldstuff
03-30-2017, 05:12 AM
Yes, the New England group were handed their butt today. Absolutely beautiful Classic Head. Nice to finally meet you Dave, Don, Al and Tom. Don and Al...I ate my cheesecake last night. delicious and thank you. Tim, haven't gotten into the honey yet but I will and thank you. Good luck today.

Tony Two-Cent
03-30-2017, 07:56 AM

Incredible find, Dave! :wow:

We rarely see Classic Head large cents here on the forum, especially ones that look so nice. What an incredible 209-year-old piece of history! We sure don't find coins like that here in Illinois!

:congrats:

Donnie B
03-30-2017, 10:31 AM
Beautiful coin! I'm glad you guys are doing well! Good luck with the hunt today!

Noah
03-30-2017, 10:33 AM
Bean field or park? How deep? Faint or clear obvious signal?

lee
03-30-2017, 04:08 PM
corn field, and as he said to me "it blew me head off".

lee
03-30-2017, 04:19 PM
gentlemen, it has been a complete honor to not only meet you fine lads but also get the chance to detect with you.
from the first day i met you all at my house i could tell you where all great people.
i thank you all for the wonderful gifts you presented to me and i wish you all a safe drive home,you are welcome back any time.
i am so glad you all found good stuff, from the first days colonial coppers and buttons to the amazing 1808 large cent and silver cuff links you found on aloldstuffs permission,and i write this not knowing what you found at dans cellar holes !!!.
here is a picture of us all (not me, im taking the picture).58356

Noah
03-30-2017, 04:35 PM
Awesome. Hope sometime get the chance to meet you all out there. Can't wait now to see Don's finds!:shocked05:

Digger_O'Dell
03-30-2017, 05:26 PM
Great group photo, thanks! Have to give a hand to you east coast guys for showing our midwesterners such hospitality! :beerbuddy:
Very happy to hear everyone had such a great time.

del
03-30-2017, 08:23 PM
The boys did pretty well today , Tom is a machine ! Dave got a goodie today and Tim finally got his copper ! We hiked out butts off today !:yes:

I scoffed a Holmes Booth & Haydens token

Here is some info about the company http://www.thelampworks.com/lw_companies_hb&h.htm

and pictures of what my token looked like if it were in better shape !

Full Metal Digger
03-30-2017, 09:25 PM
corn field, and as he said to me "it blew me head off".

Lee is correct! Rang up 12-47 at 3 inches deep.

Donnie B
03-31-2017, 08:48 AM
Have you got any information on the token? Is it a Civil War or Hard Times token?

The boys did pretty well today , Tom is a machine ! Dave got a goodie today and Tim finally got his copper ! We hiked out butts off today !:yes:

Here is some info about the company http://www.thelampworks.com/lw_companies_hb&h.htm

Donnie B
03-31-2017, 08:50 AM
I didn't see the link to the history of the company until I scrolled back up. That is fantastic!!!

Hiluxyota
03-31-2017, 09:48 AM
Thanks again del and everyone who shared their sites with us , finding old copper coins and relics that haven't been touched by human hands in over 200 years was an awesome experience for all of us from illinois. Me and Dave were amazed at the knowledge that del has on these old relics and coins . To be able to look at a coin with a faint amount of detail and know exactly what it is and years it was made was incredible to us along with the history of how the colonists built their houses and farmed their land and how they lived back then. I will get pics up of the coins and relics I had found when I get back home including the intact silver cuflinks that everyone said was the find of the day .. Again , thanks to all for inviting us and giving all of us the chance to find colonial history .

MangoAve
03-31-2017, 10:30 AM
Dan, even tho no pic, grats on the token. See, I think it has something to do with the sites and only the aspect of it being a cellar is the only part of it making sense. Cuz I didn't have a problem finding that DB in a snow covered cellar yet nothing good in the field. I think them mid-west guys be used to field hunting. The weird thing, they all seemed to be swinging the same machine whilst us in NE have different ones.

That 1808 is a nice find. I haven't nabbed any coin between 1798 and 1818, or so I can tell. Maybe one of them wiped thicker coppers is a classic head and I cant tell.

Thanks again del and everyone who shared their sites with us , finding old copper coins and relics that haven't been touched by human hands in over 200 years was an awesome experience for all of us from illinois. Me and Dave were amazed at the knowledge that del has on these old relics and coins . To be able to look at a coin with a faint amount of detail and know exactly what it is and years it was made was incredible to us along with the history of how the colonists built their houses and farmed their land and how they lived back then. I will get pics up of the coins and relics I had found when I get back home including the intact silver cuflinks that everyone said was the find of the day .. Again , thanks to all for inviting us and giving all of us the chance to find colonial history .

Nice to meet you all even tho I wasn't a host. I did have some sites just in case. I agree, Al, Lee, and Dan are nice guys :devilish: ;):lol:.
At least a few of you can walk away with some 200+ yr old history.

Digger Don
03-31-2017, 11:00 AM
The first thing I want to say is that you guys Ct. & Mass are the most friendly and unselfish guys that I've ever had the pleasure of hunting with. Every single site that we were taken to produced great finds. Thank you so much for sharing your hot spots with us. Thanks to Dan, Lee and Al for taking the time to host us to a great week of detecting. It was also a pleasure to meet MangoAve & Kevin. Nice to put a face to the name. Although the colonial Gods weren't with me this week, I did manage some nice finds. My best being an 1839 large cent. Alec was extatic with his Connecticut State Copper from the field hunt!
Thanks again guys, we had a blast. Alec & Don

Digger Don
03-31-2017, 01:06 PM
Not quite as old as Dave's, but I'll take it!!

Digger Don
03-31-2017, 01:30 PM
Here's a little bling that alec pulled from a 1750 yard. Rang up 12-13. I don't know if it's old, but it is cool!

Digger_O'Dell
03-31-2017, 02:41 PM
Wow, really nice find! Looks art deco to me. Guessing 1920s or 30s maybe?

aloldstuff
03-31-2017, 03:14 PM
Very nice dig Alec. I am thinking earlier than Art Deco....I'm thinking Victorian.

Digger_O'Dell
03-31-2017, 03:34 PM
I thought the pin was soldered on solid and went into a hook at the other end like a spring wire on Victorian era items. The pivoting pin and latch I thought came out much later.

Full Metal Digger
03-31-2017, 03:36 PM
Victorian or early Edwardian since they liked flower designs so much.

del
03-31-2017, 04:48 PM
what few pictures I took of the field hunt and some surroundings on our cellar hunts . Dave and Tim took a couple of pictures of us together . we still had a bit of snow to deal with but it wasn't that bad .

Digger_O'Dell
03-31-2017, 07:18 PM
Nice pics, looks like prime hunting grounds to me!

Full Metal Digger
04-01-2017, 10:52 AM
Here's my best coin find from the trip. My very own Massachusetts Large Cent! Once I get some ren-wax I'll give her a shine.

Digger_O'Dell
04-01-2017, 03:26 PM
That's quite the beauty!

OxShoeDrew
04-01-2017, 04:25 PM
Looks like you guys did well! Congrats all around!

Donnie B
04-01-2017, 08:59 PM
Beautiful Classic Head! Congrats!

Here's my best coin find from the trip. My very own Massachusetts Large Cent! Once I get some ren-wax I'll give her a shine.

Ill Digger
04-02-2017, 07:52 PM
Back home now. First off I wanna say Thank You! to Lee, Al, and Dan! :notworthy:
Thanks to Lee and Al for taking us to some of their prime hunting ground! :notworthy:

While hunting on one of Lee's fields the first day I dug my first large caliber musket ball!
Hunting Al's colonial farm field I dug my first ever dandy button!
And Dan, for taking us on our cellar hole excursion! :lol:
My legs weren't thanking you so much. :stretcher: :lol: But after 5 days of watching the other 4 Illinoisians digging 1 or more large cents or coppers, thanks to Dan, I finally got my coil over my very own copper!! :yahoo:

And my NEW OLDEST DUG COIN !! 1730 King George II

Fresh out of the ground
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/Mobile%20Uploads/20170330_155015_zps4yiyky7v.jpg (http://s766.photobucket.com/user/IllDigger/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20170330_155015_zps4yiyky7v.jpg.html)

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/Mobile%20Uploads/20170330_155009_zps4irpbefa.jpg (http://s766.photobucket.com/user/IllDigger/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20170330_155009_zps4irpbefa.jpg.html)

After cleaning and a light oiling.
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/Mobile%20Uploads/20170402_130655_zps1i5rhqqj.jpg (http://s766.photobucket.com/user/IllDigger/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20170402_130655_zps1i5rhqqj.jpg.html)

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/Mobile%20Uploads/20170402_130620_zpspoq86xox.jpg (http://s766.photobucket.com/user/IllDigger/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20170402_130620_zpspoq86xox.jpg.html)

I wanna thank you all again for making the trip just what I was hoping for! A chance to find things that I don't have a chance to find here in my area. I hope someday I can return the favor!
You guys rock!! :groovy:

Full Metal Digger
04-02-2017, 09:51 PM
Looks photo-shopped. LOL! Congratulations Tim, you got the best looking copper of all of us.

aloldstuff
04-03-2017, 05:14 AM
Tim, nice coin and I for one am really glad you finally scored a copper on this trip. Your updated signature looks good.

del
04-08-2017, 12:05 PM
And Dan, for taking us on our cellar hole excursion! :lol:
My legs weren't thanking you so much. :stretcher: :lol:

My legs are always mad at me Tim , unfortunately its the price I have to pay to get the coppers ! It was great and I was honored to have all you guys out with me !:notworthy:
Congrats on all them hard earned finds my friend !:cheering:

Tim, nice coin and I for one am really glad you finally scored a copper on this trip. Your updated signature looks good.

It sure does Al !:perfect10:

lee
04-08-2017, 04:28 PM
your more than welcome little digger..lol , it was an honor to hunt with you and the lads from Illinois.
im so glad you got a few firsts and next time you come back we will be sure to put your coil over some nice Spanish silver.