PDA

View Full Version : Same size and shape as a III cent, but rings up different

Ken C
02-14-2017, 10:15 PM
Does this look familiar to anyone? I started cleaning this coin (?) using electrolysis tonight. It's really thin and matches the size of a III cent piece...but it's ringing up different.

Ill Digger
02-14-2017, 10:45 PM
I've never found either, but there's a 3 cent silver (trime)and a 3 cent nickel variety. Maybe it's not American?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Digger_O'Dell
02-14-2017, 11:53 PM
I agree, probably a nickel/copper 3 cent piece. Here's a link to the book listing:
http://www.usacoinbook.com/coins/three-cents/nickel-three-cent/

Tony Two-Cent
02-15-2017, 08:49 AM
Three cent nickels are larger than that. They are 17.9mm in diameter, the exact size of a modern dime. Also, your coin appears to have stars around the edge, three cent nickels do not have stars on them.

To my eye, your find is either a foreign coin or some kind of token. Are there any details on the other side of it?

tanacat
02-15-2017, 10:03 AM
I'm very curious... can you share some more pics. Figure it out yet?

Ill Digger
02-15-2017, 10:05 AM
Three cent nickels are larger than that. They are 17.9mm in diameter, the exact size of a modern dime. Also, your coin appears to have stars around the edge, three cent nickels do not have stars on them.

To my eye, your find is either a foreign coin or some kind of token. Are there any details on the other side of it?
That's what I was thinking too Tony, possibly a foreign coin having the stars or dots around the edge. Maybe after the cleaning it'll be easier to ID it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Digger_O'Dell
02-15-2017, 10:20 AM
Good catch Tony, I didn't realize the size or pattern difference between the silver and nickel version. Blowing it up much larger and rotating it about 90 degrees, it almost looks like a dated area and possibly a bust in the center, but I could be wrong. Now I'm really curious!

wisconsin digger
02-15-2017, 11:55 AM
Nice find good luck on its research. I'm leaning towards token WD

del
02-15-2017, 12:57 PM
Clean it well it could be a copper alloy wick turning wheel from an old lantern , these commonly break off and resemble a small coin or maybe even a small cuff button without its shank or loop.

MangoAve
02-15-2017, 01:46 PM
We're def gonna need more pics. Cleaned front + back. I agree that it is either a foreign coin or what Dan has mentioned below. I'd lean a little toward cuff button having stars, but that's only like a 51%/49% guess as I have found a knob with stars and rays, however it was bigger.

Clean it well it could be a copper alloy wick turning wheel from an old lantern , these commonly break off and resemble a small coin or maybe even a small cuff button without its shank or loop.

Never thought of this, Dan. I haven't ever found any myself, unless I have but mistook them for buttons with a broken shank. I prob have a few that I have. Lol

Full Metal Digger
02-15-2017, 05:11 PM
Most of the foreign coins I have seen (especially older ones) do not have stars. That is mostly an American design (stars = states). Crowns and fancy initials tend to be on the 17th and 18th century coins (at least the ones I have seen). BUT, I am NO expert so anything is possible!

Ken C
02-15-2017, 05:37 PM
After a 12 hour lemon juice soak, still can't really make anything out. Electrolysis next.

52 on the Deus on 11.7
50-52 on the AT Pro
12.12 on CTX 3030

This matches nickel ranges for me on all of the machines but it's way too small to be a III cent (nickel).

The Three Cent Nickel test coin I have rings up as:

41-42 on the Deus on 11.7
45-46 on the AT Pro
12.04 on CTX 3030

It can't be a III cent http://metaldetectingforum.com/images/smilies/sad.gif

aloldstuff
02-16-2017, 05:47 AM
I have to agree that it is not a III cent. Dan's idea of possibly it's a wheel to raise the wick of a lantern makes sense to me.

Ken C
02-16-2017, 10:24 AM

I have to agree that it is not a III cent. Dan's idea of possibly it's a wheel to raise the wick of a lantern makes sense to me.

Yep, I think he was spot on! I would bet that's exactly what is is. You guys are good lol!

Digger_O'Dell
02-16-2017, 11:18 AM
It's tough when you use electralysis on copper/bronze/brass because it will burn out all the porosity, and if left in once the base metal is exposed it will actually erode the good material away too. Buy I agree this does link like a wick wheel, I can make out the circle on one side.