PDA

View Full Version : White's MX sport

Cooper
02-23-2017, 09:06 PM
Got a new whites MX Sport and have used it a few time in the last couple days having some trouble with getting a signal then Lossing it then Maybe 3or4 swings gitting it back then lose it again vdi very jumpy tried coin+ jewelry an high trash settings sensitivity up and down salt on and off ground balance on off hunting were an old house was tore down so there is some trash did find three Lincoln pennies and a stainless spoon

calabash digger
02-24-2017, 03:06 PM
try a air test ,I saw a video where one had a dead spot in the detection field. IT would hit a coin at 8 to 9 inchs and move the coin to 6-8 inchs it would lose it and then pick it back up at 5 inchs to the coil.

Cooper
02-24-2017, 08:50 PM
Will do thanks may just be ground is to trashy I did do a test laying a nail over a quarter still had a good tone but vdi reading was in the dime range

Cooper
02-26-2017, 07:53 PM
Tried the air test didn't find any dead spots but stating to think that the targets may have been on the edge of the detectors range kind of seemed like that's how it acted and sounded when I moved the targets further away guess I need some fine tuning did notice that it marked my dime as a copper penny not sure why but thanks for your advice do you own a MX Sport and if so do you have any customer settings

calabash digger
02-26-2017, 09:39 PM
I dont I run a deus but was looking at them when they first came out. Sorry no help with the settings.

MangoAve
02-27-2017, 09:40 AM
Idk. I was able to take the MX sport for a test run this weekend. Switching from the TreasurePro to the MX was no huge change. Took me maybe 10 min to get used to the iron, but it was the settings of the iron audio he had it set, as well as changing from full ear headphones to the tiny ones for the RF setup. My iron audio, I learned in comparison, is the annoying grunts are pretty much the -95 hotrock signals. And the clicks I get with my machine having a depth indicator bar present, is the same as an iron target maybe -24 to -50. Just the iron audio, even tho it was still technically discriminated, would make such low noises that sometimes I was hearing phantom noises in my head cuz I was anticipating the activity.

I wouldn't use the salt elimination or beach modes unless you are on the beach. Otherwise there is no need. I'd say run in coin & jewelry mode, but lower the iron audio to a level that you can hear it, but it's def soft enough that positive vdi tones are very discernible. Run it at either default, or one notch above default, for sensitivity. He didn't fool with the frequency shift, so neither did I. Make sure you have the cable away from the coil. I hear it comes with 3 clips in the box. I am about to search for some to use on my machine and maybe some spares. Prob cheap enough for a few plastic pieces. Having the cable too close to the coil where it gets wrapped around the shaft, will cause falsing. I was getting that with my machine, too, until I bought some Velcro ties to hold the cable away.

As far as tones, use 4 tones. The 8 tones is just extraneous. Good concept, but it is just a nuisance when it comes to falsing off iron, which happens a lot where I hunt. Sounds like an accordion when it falses cuz it hits all tones sequentially like a scale. Like any machine, if you hear a target say 91-94 VDI, and then you see it go to -24 or whatever negative number, it's just a falsing off iron. All machines do it. I've had a bunch of times when buddies are using something like the Deus, I go over it with my machine which cost only a fraction of that, and tell them it's iron cuz the inconsistency I see. Sure enough it is an iron target when they dig it. The MX hit a tiny piece of lead which I was impressed with, and was able to depict a shotgun shell in the iron of cellar lip, but having a 20vdi lower reading.

He never ground balances his machine either. I leave my TreasurePro on tracking. I'd just think you're getting falsing off iron targets that other machines get, or you have put the sense too low an/or there is just too much fill at that site.

Cooper
02-27-2017, 07:07 PM
Thanks I'll try some of that will move the coil wire for sure started spinning right at the bottoms makes sense about the falsing off the iron will try some of the tips also just need the weather here to straighten up also can't find the head phones that come with it or the cord thanks again for your time and post

Cooper
02-27-2017, 08:07 PM
Thanks

MangoAve
02-28-2017, 08:21 AM
Thanks I'll try some of that will move the coil wire for sure started spinning right at the bottoms makes sense about the falsing off the iron will try some of the tips also just need the weather here to straighten up also can't find the head phones that come with it or the cord thanks again for your time and post

YW. Many people are willing to help on this forum.

I will say that I stand corrected, a little, on my post. Saw a friend/acquaintance post a latest YouTube video. Using the smaller coil, the sense was down at level three, which seems counterintuitive for normal usage. Idk, it worked for them. It was also in high trash mode near a cellar hole. Again, a mode I would think is counterintuitive, but they are a White's rep so I would figure they knew what they were doing. The heavy iron drags down vdi readings for most items, so cutting out a 15 VDI, which could really be a 35 VDI in normal conditions, I'd dig at a cellar. Tones were still set to 4 and the discriminate audio was set to 20%, same as what the other friend who let me try their machine this weekend. I'd prob prefer 40, or 50%, but that's just preference.

I just figure the default setting is a real good place to start, esp with sensitivity. And tweak from there. I read thru the manual too. I guess one important thing to bring from what I said earlier, note whether you see a depth indicator with one of those phantom targets. If it's a target that's only 4" deep, you better believe that should have a stable reading for something in the accepted target range. If if's a target at 10" and fades in and out, then it could be a depth issue or target on edge. I found it useful when you get something semi-repeatable, first turn 90 degrees to see if it gets better or worse. If it's still a phantom signal, turn sense up one detent to see if the target has significantly more hits in a positive vdi. If so, you might wanna decide to dig. If it still sounds the same, or worse, move on and turn the sense back to what it previously was. The manual stated, as other manuals for different machines and different manufacturers, 80% of the time you should use tracking ground balance. There is a consensus between different maker and different models.

Cooper
03-01-2017, 06:38 PM
When the weather clears up I'll get back out and let you know but what you've said makes a lot of sense only other problem is when I do an air test dimes read all over the place copper gold get good tone so if I were detecting I would still dig I'm going to mess with it more while the weather still sucks