PDA

View Full Version : ETRAC!!!!!

z118
08-21-2010, 11:23 AM
Yikes, my Etrac came today, didn't expect it this quickly. Holy cow. I'm already confused by the battery, how do I know when it's charged? Oh man I can't wait to get this thing going!

Epi-hunter
08-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Yikes, my Etrac came today, didn't expect it this quickly. Holy cow. I'm already confused by the battery, how do I know when it's charged? Oh man I can't wait to get this thing going!

Congrats!! Just plug the rechargeable in (overnight is best; takes quite a few hours for a full charge) and there is a battery indicator on the screen so when you put it in the machine you can tell if it's charged. I usually use the aklaline battery pack though; it lasts for a long time.

NiagaraCountyNY
08-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Grats!! You are gonna like that machine :) HH

z118
08-21-2010, 03:00 PM
Hmmm.... just got back from my first hunt with the Etrac, hit one of my favorite spots for about an hour and a half. Dug 24 coins including 1 wheat.

I'm refraining from making too much of this first hunt. I don't want to sell myself short but dang this machine seems complicated. I'm just a beep-dig beep-dig kind of guy. I'll need to poke around the forums for some idiot proof settings I guess. I guess I just want to hunt the way I do with the Sov...

angellionel
08-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Hmmm.... just got back from my first hunt with the Etrac, hit one of my favorite spots for about an hour and a half. Dug 24 coins including 1 wheat.

I'm refraining from making too much of this first hunt. I don't want to sell myself short but dang this machine seems complicated. I'm just a beep-dig beep-dig kind of guy. I'll need to poke around the forums for some idiot proof settings I guess. I guess I just want to hunt the way I do with the Sov...

Congrats on your new E-Trac! You will do very well with it, but first you need to learn to walk, not run. ;) Don't try the heavy hitting settings others may be using. You will get there soon enough. :yes:

Work with auto-sensitivity to start, as it will provide you with excellent stability while yielding very good depth. Try out a discrimination pattern designed for picking up coins, and try the following settings to start.

Threshold Level: 25 to 30
Volume Limit: 30
Volume Gain: 28 to 30
Response: Long (Try the others too to see which appeals most)
Tone ID # of Tones: Multi
Tone ID Sounds: Conduct
Tone ID Variability: 29
Tone ID Limits: 30
Recovery Deep: OFF (Until you start to become familiar with the machine, then turn it to ON!)
Recovery Fast: OFF
Trash Density: LOW
Ground: Try both Neutral and Difficult to see what works best in your area.

Don't try to compare the E-Trac to the Sov. You will need to learn a new 'language'. :)

Have fun!

randy
08-21-2010, 07:35 PM
Oh I think you will love the E-Trac. I find it difficult as well, and I'm probably only 25% or so along the learning curve, but I still get occasional glimpses of how good this technology is. Good luck.

coinnut
08-21-2010, 08:19 PM
If it overwhelms you, just go auto+3 sensitivity, Ferrous sounds, two tones and mask out FE 31-35 as your pattern. Did you get any of that? lol It is easy once you spend some time on it. I wish you lived closer. 30 minutes of real in person instruction can save you months of trial and error. Hopefully someone will be close enough to you to help you out.

NiagaraCountyNY
08-22-2010, 06:21 AM
We will have to get togther for a hunt in the next week or 2.I'll be glad to help you set-up your Trac if your still having trouble.Toss me a message anytime u need as well.HH

z118
08-22-2010, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the replies all! I posted more questions here:

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=2263.0