PDA

View Full Version : First hunt of 2017

BTV Digger
03-01-2017, 02:03 PM
Hi fellow detectorists and a belated Happy New Year! Well, the itch to get out and detect finally got to me so I decided to get out and brave the muck for two hours yesterday before heading to work. Been since the last week of November as we've been frozen rock solid up here since about then. Mountains still have plenty of snow cover, so stuck close to home in the lower elevations of the Champlain Valley in a park where I've nabbed a lot of relics over the years. Just good to get out again. Stuck to the rock walls and fields near an old cellar hole on a southern slope exposure. Ground on the shaded north slopes still too frozen despite the recent warmth. Only managed a few things, but ironically nabbed my best IH in two years on my second hole I dug...strange how this hobby works. Also found an old pocket knife, finial and some sort of make-up tin - likely 20th century on that. Cellar hole has the back end of an old Model-T in it, quite interesting. Very quiet and peaceful out in the woods - nice to get back out again. HH!

John

del
03-01-2017, 02:09 PM
That's not a bad start at all John :thumbsup01: I bet it was so nice to get out and dig some targets :detecting:Congrats on the nice indian and the pocket knife !

Dan

Digger_O'Dell
03-01-2017, 05:23 PM
Very nice finds John! Other than being mountains you described almost perfectly the conditions in Wisconsin! Lol

OxShoeDrew
03-01-2017, 05:33 PM
Good looking Indian, John. Does that knife have the blades in it? Handle wood or stag?

Lodge Scent
03-01-2017, 10:55 PM
Good to see the Northern Kingdom is thawing out a bit John. That is a nice looking IHP. I've found more than a few cellar holes that were used a dumps. Though I can't say I never found the remains of a Model T in one :)

BTV Digger
03-02-2017, 09:14 AM
Good looking Indian, John. Does that knife have the blades in it? Handle wood or stag?

Yeah Drew, looks like just one blade, rusted in. Wood handle.

calabash digger
03-02-2017, 09:09 PM
love the indian congrats!

aloldstuff
03-08-2017, 06:04 PM
Finally John get out....:thumbsup02:. Congrats on the IH and the Knife.