PDA

View Full Version : Another batch of buffalo Nickels

wisconsin digger
03-08-2017, 02:24 AM
Ahh Wisconsin weather can really be a pill. Got my nice early start in February and get sidelined for a couple weeks with snow and cold. Anyway got back out on Monday and Tuesday and got in a couple of nice hunts. Monday was pretty uneventful with 1 wheat and a handful of clad. Today I hit a Park I had some unexpected success at late last year. Ended up with 2 Merc's and 3 more Buffalos (have a before and after cleaning photo). It was an unusual area as I got the first Merc about 3-4" down and a few feet away from that another Merc was just under the surface and when I rechecked the hole a while later I found a shallow Buffalo in the same hole. Not sure but this was either a scraped down area or a dirt dump from somewhere else. Either way glad to find a couple more oldies. Early in the year my Buffalo total nearly equals my silver total 6 Buffalos and 7 silver. I also included a couple of finds from my earlier hunts. the 1st was a pin of some kind with "Wisconsin Health Guard" on it. I found a medal on ebay that was identical in design and apparently was from 1917. The other find is not that unusual other than I never saw a railroad spike that was this small. All the ones I have ever found or seen were nearly twice as big. Anyway I thought these were nice enough finds to post. Keep swinging Wisconsin Digger

Digger_O'Dell
03-08-2017, 04:56 AM
Very nice digs, congrats! Wanted to get out Tuesday but either the temp dropped 20 degrees in a couple hours, blasting wind and showers, I just said "nope!" Glad you got out though and came up with the goodies.

Ken C
03-08-2017, 06:56 AM
Great finds! Quick question for you, what did you use to clean the Buffalo Nickels? Mine had an orange tint to it when I dug it. I used some baking soda paste and it took some of the bright color away, but it still looks orange.

wisconsin digger
03-08-2017, 09:50 AM
Chris, I only lasted 2 hours as the wind was terrible like you said and the Temps were no where near what was predicted. This weekend looks much like the same. Thanks WD

MangoAve
03-08-2017, 12:26 PM
Nice finds. Those buffs almost look like the hobo-nickels before they were cleaned. I am intrigued onto how you cleaned it as well. I tried the ketchup/Worcestershire sauce thing on a 1942 regular nickel. It still had a slight tint to it, and the metal became a dull grey color.

The RR spike.. I found one maybe that size in the middle of a town green. No where nears a rail road.

Bucknut
03-08-2017, 04:17 PM
Excellent work! #1000 has to be close!

OxShoeDrew
03-08-2017, 04:58 PM
I agree with Jim, I saw hobo nickels for a second there! Nice job!

aloldstuff
03-08-2017, 05:57 PM
Great hunt. The buffs cleaned up real nice. You have been having some nice weather out there lately.

Digger Don
03-08-2017, 09:30 PM
Awesome hunt. You did a great job cleaning those nickels. Nice mercs too!!
I think winter is finally behind us. I'm looking forward to seeing your next hunt.