PDA

View Full Version : A couple early hunts

Digger_O'Dell
03-08-2017, 09:56 PM
Hi all
I've been out a few times this year for some short hunts where I could get them. Results weren't great, but I had been trying some new things and thought I would post a short recap.
One place I had tried was the old field turned park in an area that had produced in the past but was pretty sure was hunted out. Thought maybe with the PI machine I would try for any really deep targets that were out of range before since the few keepers were extremely deep. Oddly enough I did find coins, but they were zincolns at a foot or more down. Go figure. Also found a part of a horseshoe, an early headstamp, and a marble.
Another site I wanted to try is one that had given me fits in the past. Probably the oldest but most difficult site I've ever been to. It has had 2 previous court houses and a jail on the site since around 1830, plus was a CW muster grounds. Lots of very early history. But the difficulty is the vast amount of trash not only from the old buildings being torn down, but over 100 years of being used for holiday events, fairs, concerts, etc. The CTX was just in constant overload even with the 6 inch coil. The TDI on the other hand at least gave some good signals. I was able to pop a bullet and few coins including my only wheatie from about 8 inches.
Let stop was the beach for about 2 hours. I learned very quickly the power of PI machines when I found a rusty staple at about 8 inches, and a piece of iron that looked like a half sphere about 1.5mm in Dia. Also managed a tiny flat key and a tiny junker ring.

wisconsin digger
03-09-2017, 01:04 AM
Keep pounding it. Looks like we are going to chill down again for a week or so. I may hit it on Sunday but I am not that enthused about doing any hunting in sub freezing weather. I still have to remember it is early March. Good Luck finding some new ground. WD

Digger_O'Dell
03-09-2017, 01:21 AM
Thanks, just make sure to keep your hat tied down, it's blowing something fierce! Talking rain and snow again too. :badday: Hope you keep those old buffs coming up, that will help for sure! Good places by me are getting scarce. Too wet to try door knocking for any yards, and too muddy to hit any fields. Still want to try my luck looking for a Wisconsin nugget. Might be the best option till the weather improves, though the odds are about the same as catching a leprechaun. :duh:

Digger Don
03-09-2017, 08:40 AM
It looks like that new machine is going to produce very well for you this season.
A staple at 8 inches, WOW.
Best of luck to you finding some Oldies.

Digger_O'Dell
03-09-2017, 09:16 AM
Yep, I certainly wasn't expecting to see a staple. Took me forever to figure out what/where is was. Pinpointer wouldn't pick it up until it was touching the tip. So one can imagine the headaches this can create too! LOL That tiny flat key was about 14 inches and sounded like a big gold ring. Kept digging, and digging, and....oh well. :bummer::dontknow:

del
03-09-2017, 11:01 AM
Those stainless steel staples :hairpulling::bangahead02:They sound more like a non ferrous target especially at depth ! At least your pulling finds out of areas that the other machine struggles to :yes: