PDA

View Full Version : Hunt with RobW

coinnut
08-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Headed out to Rob's area to meet up with him for a hunt. Had a great time and enjoyed meeting another member of our forum :clapping: Rob had a couple of places lined up and we started in a newer field that has some old history...but we coldn't find any of it, so we booked lol Hit a very old house that was in the middle of road construction and was torn up. Houses like that don't give up lots of targets, but did give me some nice ones. Besides a couple of wheats, a flat button, part of a watch winder and monster crotal bell, I was able to squeek out a damaged silver Roosevelt, a part of a purse?, .925 :clapping: and what I thought was junk, turned out to be a traveling fountain pen, also looks silver :cheering:. We then moved to a park and I got 2 more silver Roosevelts and some older wheats (5 before 1920) Total 13 wheats today and all coins equaled $3.36. I even got my lunch for free <: It was a great hunt and a pleasure detecting with Rob :beerbuddy:

randy
08-21-2010, 08:12 PM
Congrats on that silver. Silver relics are especially cool.

del
08-22-2010, 12:39 PM
not a bad day out George (silver wise ) and you got to meet another forum member , i'd say successful outing . how did Rob do:huh:

catskillcomics
08-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Good Hunt George, More Silver! <: I really like the dipping pen, the nib still looks good enough to use... and a free lunch on top of it all... You can't go wrong :beerbuddy:

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-22-2010, 01:08 PM
cool finds G. never seen a stamp like that on silver :confused: very cool pen!

angellionel
08-22-2010, 05:14 PM
It sounds like you two had a great time, and not a bad hunt at all. You sure were on a wheat cent hunt. :yes: Good amount of silver too. :grin: And that pen is a sweet find, especially if it's silver. :drool:

RobW
08-22-2010, 06:43 PM
ok, so I am breaking one of my rules about having a computer at home, as I am on my wife's laptop that I'm not suppose to be using. But I wanted to show her this post. Also, I had not seen all of George's finds. I'll post my pics tomarrow, when I'm suppose to be working.....

The only things I found worth a mention was an 1903 barber dime, a bell as well, and a cheap silver ring.

It was great meeting George, anytime you meet a new friend makes it a successful hunt to me....even if I bought lunch!
I really appreciated him showing me the E-trac as hopefully I will have mine within a month. He basically let me hold it, move it around a bit and hear the signals.....very,very different that what I am use to....but the best part was him digging the targets!!! Hell I'd keep him around just for that! Managed to find an 1936 wheat in a few min.

It's night and day the difference with the effectiveness of the e-trac. The ability to hit those deeper targets is a deiifernce between a good and bad day.

RobW
08-22-2010, 06:48 PM
Oh, and by the way, been thinking about the ornate silver. I believe it is from a victorian ladies grooming set and is the silver slide that fits over the comb handle. It slides on and off for cleaning and replacing the comb.

coinnut
08-22-2010, 07:19 PM
Oh, and by the way, been thinking about the ornate silver. I believe it is from a victorian ladies grooming set and is the silver slide that fits over the comb handle. It slides on and off for cleaning and replacing the comb.

Sounds good to me, I'll buy that explanation lol And Rob made me dig so I could earn my lunch rofl

You did get the coin of the day, Barber trumps Roosevelts, even 3 of them lol

pulltabsteve
08-22-2010, 08:40 PM
Great Hunt!!!! Congrats on the Silvers. That fountain pen is way cool :clapping: :happydance01:

hockeyguy
08-22-2010, 08:40 PM
I am not a relic guy but I dig that pen....it looks old! :cheering:

RobW
08-24-2010, 02:22 PM
I agree about the pen, it's cool. I didn't even know you found that until you posted it.

coinnut
08-24-2010, 05:34 PM
I agree about the pen, it's cool. I didn't even know you found that until you posted it.

I didn't think twice about it. If you look at the group shot, it just looks like some old piece of something. It was dirty and I thought some kind of wire or household thing, kinda broken. But when I started to clean my things, that's when I realized it may not be plated and comes apart. A nice surprise.