PDA

View Full Version : Some Really good finds today! Silvers & Relics!

Full Metal Digger
03-12-2017, 09:55 PM
Hi Diggers,
Today was cold and windy but I wanted to go detecting so I headed up north to my favorite town. This is the town where I found that button from the Illinois Institute for the Deaf & Dumb a couple weeks ago. I wanted to find an example that wasn't all smashed (like the one I found). The school is still there and the building and grounds date to 1846 or so. I wasn't able to get permission to hunt the school grounds but the city said the curb strips were fair game. I hunted the curb strip right in front of the school. The strips in that town are about 25 feet wide. After 20 minutes I got a signal like an indian head cent down about 8 inches. This was my first good signal since I arrived. I dug down and out pops a button! I slowly turned it over and saw it was indeed one the buttons! What are the odds of finding the button you want on the VERY first good signal? I was gob smacked for sure.

I also detected several houses today and made several good finds. My best find of the day was a Knights Templar badge from 1895 (please see my other post). I found a nice silver plated spoon with a very decorative grape and leaves motif.

Here is some pics, thanks for looking!

Digger_O'Dell
03-13-2017, 06:00 AM
More great finds! Way to go on the button you wanted. Definitely had a great hunt!

MangoAve
03-13-2017, 12:46 PM
Nice finds. Grats on getting the button you wanted right away. Weird it came about that soon. The other finds are quite unique, and to find a spoon on a curb strip? Odd. The spoon design was used from 1904 to 1918 and the 1847 stamp meant it was the highest quality (vs the 1881).

Ken C
03-13-2017, 03:34 PM
Nice handful of finds there! Congrats!

Muddy Mike
03-13-2017, 07:34 PM
What an awesome day, well done

Bucknut
03-14-2017, 08:34 AM
Cool finds! I think Deep Digger Duo found on of those buttons recently too.