PDA

View Full Version : On and off hunting hindered by the cold

MangoAve
03-14-2017, 07:41 PM
The snow from Eugene has once again put a damper on detecting for a while. I (we) just can't win here in NE.

A few weeks ago I was able to try the MX sport for a little while. It was extremely windy here and I didn't think the finds were worthy of it's own thread. The story was better, however. It was a Sunday and I was to meet up at the usual spot with a buddy. We got out with the president of the detecting club. Unfortunately the 4th couldn't make it cuz a break line whent on his truck. So we headed out. This was a spot that was not on the maps, yet again. Unfortunately it was hit pretty hard. We walked in to the site, but my gps of the site was off. By 400ft too. We saw the stone walls and the fields, after the 'new guy' had been complaining how fast I hike through the woods. We kinda circled cuz I thought the cellar was inside this thick patch of laurels. I almost lost my transmitter again. The brush pulled out my cable and broke it. I had to go retrace my steps using the BT. I got lucky finding it cuz in the absence of the transmitter, my phone just synced to the headphones. I thought it was the transmitter. Oops. After that ordeal, we tried again and found the spot and gave it a go.
After a while we realized that spot was no good so we moved on. We had to drive around the forest to get to my spot. We got about a mile in on the forest road and we see the road was blocked by a tree knocked down by the latest wind. I contemplated using the machete to cut the top off as it wasn't a huge tree, but we just drove around a different way. My spot didn't look like it had any hiking in. When we got there I saw a nice pine grove at a flat spot on a hillside. It was maybe 150ft from the cellar. There was def a cellar with some cart paths around it. I didn't find anything but lead in the pine grove. Turns out we saw some xmas ornaments on a small pine. WTH?? I didn't think anyone would have been out there. It was even difficult to tell it was a cellar unless you knew. oh well.

So we moved up to the bigger cellar. It had its own quarry. There was an area along the stone wall that had a lot of activity. I turned to follow back toward the main road. Not 5 seconds after I was asked if I found anything and replying just junk, i got a hit. I pulled up a nice ornate finial. Maybe something for a lamp. Mid-1800s cuz it has a thread. I tried the field behind the quarry and that's where I pulled another conestoga bell. It's now my biggest at 3" flare. Afterward I got to try the MX for a bit while he tried the Tpro. It wasn't hard to learn after the Tpro. I knew i had iron, but I pulled up the rock pick that the guy must have used in the quarry. Nice for an iron find that can be attributed to the site.
The past two weekends I was invited by the friend who couldn't make the previ weekend hunt. He had a permission where a colonial used to stand. It was detected before by someone learning. Guess he didn't get everything. I pulled up a 1911 wheat and a 1905 IH. I also had the new Garrett Z-lynk. The BT didn't have a lag issue cuz the pieces I got, but I liked the 30hr run time of the Garrett. Happy with that purchase. In the old farm road I pulled two spoons and a .52 sharps ringtail. Another CW attributed item, and yet to find a RW attributed item. Surprisingly a pocket knife came out right behind where house used to be. Out back there was a small foundation for servants. I didn't find much except a dollar on the top surface. We had to take may breaks cuz it was so cold.
The following day I tried the field across the road. It had an ox knob and there was a signal near some cedars I had to give up on cuz it was frozen. I found one more wheat and an Ingrahm wrist watch.
This past weekend we hit the site again. We focused on an area to the right of the old house. It was brutal wind again and I had to deal with toe warmers that didn't work. It was a bad pair for some reason and the chill was below zero. I got a nice ox shoe on the top of the hill and a nice silver plated button at the bottom. It has a 'Plated' backmark so it is early 1800s. Sunday we braved the cold yet again and got to one of my permissions. I used the small coil and was only finding brass scraps. We moved on to the field I got crap for supposedly trespassing when I wasn't. After a while I finally found a coin. It made the day. It looks like a 1752 (or 1732) KG 2. It is thin, too. It might have been hit shortly after it became town owned, or just cuz it was not turned in so long. We went to a school maybe 15 min away. All I managed were some more nickels and some junker ring. The '47 was from the 1830 permission: spot #1 that day. The ring is in pic #4 top left. Idk what the cap is. Thought it might have been a napkin holder when I dug it.
I also got my hobby cards for permissions done. I went through a few designs. It was a lot of work. The editing software on the site was limited whilst MS word has so much you can do to pics and texts. I prob should have gone with only 100 and had a second design for the front with a background. But overall happy i have something. (I had to cover the personal info..not that people here would, but this is a public website.)

These are some other pics I had. One hunt in Jan I had found a lock that was still in my backpack. It had a nice brass cover and a crown design. The 'junk' finds include a few from the recent places: The one green bird tag, weird cap, and the spoon. The christian belt buckle and the silvers all came from the penguin hunt. Those were planted, tho.

del
03-14-2017, 08:18 PM
Looks like you guys did ok before the storm , the George II looks like a 1750's old head type Jim .

Lodge Scent
03-14-2017, 09:11 PM
Nice digs Jim! I am jealous. I tried to get out Sunday but still too much snow on the ground. We got a quick 6 inches this morning here, but then turned to rain. Just a big slushy mess now.

I get accused of walking too fast also :lol: I think it because after you spend enough time in the woods over the years, you don't look down at your feet anymore. You are always looking 10-15 feet ahead. Your brain figures out where your feet should go and puts them there without you having to think about it. You can make good speed that way. You can always spot a newbie hiking in the woods...they stare at their feet while walking.

Great looking permission cards!

MangoAve
03-15-2017, 11:33 AM
Looks like you guys did ok before the storm , the George II looks like a 1750's old head type Jim .

Lol. 'Twas a while that message be in your inbox before you realized. I think there is a plaque out front of the nearby house with a date closer to this KG2. Different than what the assessor said. Yeah, I'd say we did ok. It was really hard tho cuz the wind made breaks to warm up necessary, the coldness made you need to stop and switch arms and bring fingers closer to the warmers, and the frozen ground making holes take much longer to dig. Hindered at every angle.

Nice digs Jim! I am jealous. I tried to get out Sunday but still too much snow on the ground. We got a quick 6 inches this morning here, but then turned to rain. Just a big slushy mess now.

I get accused of walking too fast also :lol: I think it because after you spend enough time in the woods over the years, you don't look down at your feet anymore. You are always looking 10-15 feet ahead. Your brain figures out where your feet should go and puts them there without you having to think about it. You can make good speed that way. You can always spot a newbie hiking in the woods...they stare at their feet while walking.

Great looking permission cards!

Don't be jelly yet; We got really dumped on yesterday. And to find out, they already knew the storm wasn't going to be as bad but didn't let people know about it. I'd say I'd rather only 9-12 total than to have the full 18". Yeah, I agree with the walking. I often find even deer trails to make the hike easier. I've got incredible balance with rocks or logs and getting across brooks. Sometimes I forget to slow down for the old timers. Lol.

Hoping they bring about new prospects. But gonna have to wait until the snow goes (yet again waiting this year for it to go away), until I give them a try. Got five I have my eye on (with two having cellars) and two that I have to follow up on. One wanted a modified permission/waiver to include finds that were attributed to builders or historic families in the house. The other asked for a card but I had none. I did leave my number, but idk if they ever called. No messages left. And I see they are now cleaning out the house (it is unoccupied).
Thanks, Jeff.

calabash digger
03-20-2017, 06:28 AM
nice haul you guys have some nice looking places to hunt.