PDA

View Full Version : latest and oldest spanish silver

lee
04-02-2017, 05:58 PM
found on the same tiny patch of land where i found the other 3 Spanish silvers but this time the Illinois boys where there when i found it,im thinking this one is the oldest so far probably mid 1600 and i think this one is cob ?.
its not in great condition to say the least but it is probably now my oldest coin i have found.
i will post a better picture when i find one that matches what i can see on the coin.

Digger Don
04-02-2017, 06:09 PM
That was a great find Lee. I was wondering why everybody on the field was standing around you. 1600s silver :wow:!!
It was a true pleasure getting to meet and hunt with you. Thank you so much for taking us to one of your choice spots.
It was a great experiance for Alec & I.
:congrats: on such a great find :perfect10:

lee
04-02-2017, 06:22 PM
That was a great find Lee. I was wondering why everybody on the field was standing around you. 1600s silver :wow:!!
It was a true pleasure getting to meet and hunt with you. Thank you so much for taking us to one of your choice spots.
It was a great experiance for Alec & I.
:congrats: on such a great find :perfect10:
you are more than welcome lads,im a great believer ...if i find something great i want everyone to find one to !.

lee
04-02-2017, 06:29 PM
so, Ive narrowed the search down to 2 coins and it appears it may be older than i first thought.
here is the 2 coins it most looks like.5840858409
first one is a 1556-1598 and the second is a 1621-1665, what are your opinions?.

wisconsin digger
04-02-2017, 06:39 PM
Wow tht is a great find. You just start thinking about who touched that stuff and it really gets you appreciting this hobby. wesome find WD

Digger_O'Dell
04-02-2017, 08:06 PM
Awesome find! The difference I see is the stamp having 2 or 3 vertical bars in the detail. I see 2, which matches the older one.

Full Metal Digger
04-02-2017, 09:47 PM
Hi Lee, congratulations again on your cob find. It was a real honor to hold it in my hand so soon after you had dug it up. I'm leaning towards the second picture based on the knobs at the end of the cross beams. That also fits the timeline for that site. Thanks again for your hospitality. Looking forward to seeing you next year. HH Dave.

catskillcomics
04-03-2017, 05:41 AM
Great Find! That's on my bucket list!

Ill Digger
04-03-2017, 09:47 PM
That was so cool just to be around! And to get to hold it right as it was coming to light for the first time in 250 years is just mind boggling! Thank you so much for that!
Congrats on such an amazing find! :perfect10:
That's in the top three finds of the week in my book! :thumbsup02:

I'll never get the image of you flopping on your back and flailing your arms and legs like a turtle on his back while screaming, hooting and hollering! :happy::yahoo: ........ :hystericallaugh:
That's good stuff mate! Let me ask ya.... we're you "getting on it"? :huh:

lee
04-04-2017, 07:11 AM
That was so cool just to be around! And to get to hold it right as it was coming to light for the first time in 250 years is just mind boggling! Thank you so much for that!
Congrats on such an amazing find! :perfect10:
That's in the top three finds of the week in my book! :thumbsup02:

I'll never get the image of you flopping on your back and flailing your arms and legs like a turtle on his back while screaming, hooting and hollering! :happy::yahoo: ........ :hystericallaugh:
That's good stuff mate! Let me ask ya.... we're you "getting on it"? :huh:
that my friend.. is called the dance of the dying fly made famous by a kids morning TV show in England called TIZWAZ back in the 80s, and up to that point i had never had the chance to use it...lol

MangoAve
04-05-2017, 11:16 AM
That was a nice find Lee. It is a bit hard to tell which one is matches, but you def took what I said as the 'odd' shaped design was for the edge of a cross. No pillars. :lol:

Fire Fighter 43
04-05-2017, 07:33 PM
Congrats on a great find, WTG.

MIKE54
04-06-2017, 09:21 AM
Nice hit Lee. I think I went by one of your fields yesterday when I was in the area.

The Rebel
04-07-2017, 03:52 PM
WTG Lee on the cobb! That's got some history to it. Post it over on TNET in the cobb section as I got my cobb ID'd there.

Ken C
04-09-2017, 05:55 AM
WOW! That is awesome! :perfect10:

del
04-11-2017, 03:13 PM
Great piece of silver history Lee , I'm really sorry I missed the "dance" though !:lol: