PDA

View Full Version : Second hunt with the E-trac

z118
08-22-2010, 08:45 PM
Got out again tonight for two hours with the E-Trac... hunt #2. Once again I hit my best spot, a local place that I have hunted silly in the past three years, pulling some 2,200 coins in 46 trips. Tonight I was a little better off, having read through the manual and some posts on the forum. I opted to hunt in quickmask with Fe disced out at 23 I think? And I switched to Auto sensitivity and I knocked volume gain down to 20. And tonight I stuck to the most well hunted areas of this spot. As expected, I didn't find much but the stuff I found was deep, and for the most part older than my usual finds at this spot. Except for a few coins nothing was less than 6 below the surface of the dirt, and that's not counting whatever depth I lost due to the long grass. Total for the evening was 13 coins, but 3 were wheats ('37, '47, '57) and one was an older nickel (1940).

Things I learned tonight

1 - Yes, the 1 Fe reading is almost certainly iron. I dug all sorts of iron tonight. Deep rusty nails that I suspected were deep rusty nails before I dug and some LARGE iron objects that I had no idea would be iron. These would have clearly been iron with the Sov but for some reason on the Etrac they ring up right in the middle of the two ranges?

2 - I am surprised by how much the numbers will bounce around.

3 - The Etrac is great with targets next to iron. The '40 nickels was 6-7 down and 1 or 2 inches from the rusty nail in the pic.

4 - I can't wait to get out again with this thing!

Happy hunting...

coinnut
08-23-2010, 08:41 AM
Congrats on hunt #2. lol One of many 1000's to come. You did good by picking up deep targets with it. It will take some time to learn it and after a while you will be able to pass on some targets and be fairly confident that they were iron. Just treat it like a new detector and learn what it is telling you. I tried to make it a DFX and it wouldn't let me lol So I caved in and started to learn it's language. I kinda like it now ;)

jkress
08-23-2010, 08:47 AM
Nice finds. Although a little bit frustrating at times, it is also fun to learn the specifics of a new machine. I right at the front end of a learning curve myself.

Good luck with your new machine.

leslie(nova scotia)
08-24-2010, 02:50 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....glad you got out. Nice button me bouy!

pulltabsteve
08-24-2010, 06:30 PM
I think I got the same button. Great digs! You doing well with the ETRAC :peace: