PDA

View Full Version : More relics and a nice eagle button

MangoAve
04-05-2017, 12:11 PM
Saturday was all rain so I took the time to do some errands and get a few things done. What came Sunday was some nice weather to be out. One of the times the past summer I went to a spot where an old mill was, to give it a try. What I didn't realize, that if I had followed the old cart path further, it would lead to another cart path that lead to another big site. I just assumed the old map didn't show the southern connection of the road. Well, I made it back to find the site. Turns out it was hit pretty hard, but I managed a big broken tombac and another buckle frame. I think it is a plain Jane child's shoe buckle, but the size could mean knee buckle. It just is square vs rectangular which makes me think shoe.
From there I went to another area. Turns out it was just a ginormous barn which for some reason had the front closed off like a pen. Off along one wall I did see another spot that looked like there was a small structure there. Meh. Not a good spot despite all the stone work. The squashed piece I think is a cheap plated bangle that I found in a school yard on my walk out.
Monday I decided to take the day off work and enjoy more nice weather. It was pretty rough. There was a long hike into a site which I couldn't see any roads or hiking trails near. Turns out there was a hiking trail right through it, but barely worn at all. ugh. It was a nice site, but after hitting it hard, I had only found a button, iron spoon bowl, brass spoon bowl, and a lighter case. Odd thing, the lighter case cleaned up has a dog engraving on both sides. Site #2 was off the road, but what I thought was the house, was actually another big barn. This too, separated by many miles, was also a big barn with a pen behind it. Odd. Just before I got into the old fields I pulled a button. It was corroded big, but once I hit it with the diluted CLR I could see a eagle and wreath to the back mark. The fields were logged at some point so it was overgrown with smaller laurels and a few briars. Right up near some laurels I heard a nice sweet tone. I was thinking silver, but it was just an ox knob. Walking out I walked right past this tree. Once I turned around to see that even tho the limbs weren't scraggly like most old trees, the trunk was still huge and had to take a snap.
The next cellar was currently being logged, but only the machinery was there. I figured much would be taken already, but did figure some was still left. Somewhere in the small briars there behind the cellar I pulled up a big buckle. I am surprised anyone who has been there before didn't hear it. And there was also a small brass piece. I can only think it was a wheel to a toy. And there was a small brass o-ring I found. After many casings I found, I came to a spot that was overlooked. It had only a few brass pieces to a door and an ornate spoon. Also, I must have pulled a piece from a different hame piece. It has the loop like a rein guide, but no thread like all the rest. And it is curved like a hame, but not wood.
Otw back I hit something near there but right off the road. There was once a school there and I figured I could see the depression for it. The only thing there was a button. I must have caught it just right cuz there was a nail in the same hole. Others must have just missed it. When it came out, it was all green that I couldn't see any design. Once I got it cleaned in some h202 and then diluted clr I saw a nice eagle. Happy to find an infantry CW two piece button. For some reason I couldn't find the J.S. Fraser New York maker for these buttons.
Yes, Al, I wore boots, but they were still soaked when I got home. Either I wear them out so much that the leather area separates or is no longer waterproof. Gahh. And messenger doesn't save pics anymore to FB so I have to take another pic of all the finds as the spoons and meh items didn't make it.

Lodge Scent
04-05-2017, 01:25 PM
Nice hunt Jim. I love your posts. You do have a keen artistic eye when it comes to taking photos. What is that top pic, a beetle elytra of some sort? Nice hit on the eagle and I like that sporting dog match safe too.

del
04-05-2017, 02:08 PM
congrats on the small shoe buckle Jim. the eagle button is a sweet one as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Full Metal Digger
04-05-2017, 03:08 PM
Good finds Jim and it sounds like you had a good hike with lots of nature to see. I like the buckle and eagle button. Is the buckle also 1800's, or earlier?

OxShoeDrew
04-05-2017, 03:40 PM
I agree with the others...love the button and frame. I have a couple metal hames.. but mine have two rein guards. What is that lower protrusion?

MangoAve
04-06-2017, 01:53 PM
Nice hunt Jim. I love your posts. You do have a keen artistic eye when it comes to taking photos. What is that top pic, a beetle elytra of some sort? Nice hit on the eagle and I like that sporting dog match safe too.

Thanks, Jeff. Glad you enjoy the posts. So I missed my calling as a photographer? lol. The hikes I go through to get these pics, I should be like Peter Parker. Just no high rises out there in the woods. Lol. Yeah, that top was something that caught my eye as I kneeled down to dig the small buckle. It has to be part of a beetle's thorax. Oh, and I did run that possibility it was a match case instead of a lighter. Prob should be right as there is no hinge for a lid/cover.

congrats on the small shoe buckle Jim. the eagle button is a sweet one as well.

Thank Ye, Dan. Seeing as you didn't contradict, I guess it def is a shoe buckle as I figured more likely of the two choices. I wish I took a pic of the button before I cleaned it. There was nothing but a green dome.

Good finds Jim and it sounds like you had a good hike with lots of nature to see. I like the buckle and eagle button. Is the buckle also 1800's, or earlier?

Thanks, Dave. The only bad part of the hike was the wet feet (again). Yeah, the buckle is most likely early 1800's. The site is not on the 1868 map, so anything found there has to be pre-CW. Umm. Even tho they were found in different areas of the site, the tombac is late 1700s. Gives you a time frame.

I agree with the others...love the button and frame. I have a couple metal hames.. but mine have two rein guards. What is that lower protrusion?

Thanks, Drews. Those two nubs have holes in them, I think. I'll have to take some pics to add, apparently.

BTV Digger
04-06-2017, 07:48 PM
Nice job nabbing the "remainders" Jim. We all do that in one shape or form most of the time! Eagle button was a great save. I've only found 1 of the Eagle I type you show, and that was just last year. Keep up the hard work.

John