PDA

View Full Version : An interesting button and some silver

Fire Fighter 43
04-05-2017, 03:34 PM
I detected another field that had a one room school house on it. The aerial photo from 1938 clearly shows a couple of ball fields. That area is now a farm field and the school is still standing. Im usually not nervous about asking for permission but I really wanted a yes on this one and I got it. I thought I had a good one but a short hunt in the rain only produced 2 wheats from the 50's and a couple buttons, one which is an interesting one. Here is what I could find about the button. The Victorian brass button depicts the crest of Francis I, king of France (1515-1574). The crest depicts a salamander under a crown. Around the rim are the words FRANCOR REX + FRANCISG.D.C." The button is .605 inches in diameter and has a steal, fully intact, shank.
One unusual and frustrating thing about the field is in the area of home plate on one ball diamond there had to have been 200 pull tabs. The tabs were laying all over the surface in an area about 20' x 20'. I dug about 20 before moving to the outfield area. My plan is to go back with the CTX and the 6 inch coil to see if I can work around the tabs. Very weird!

The second hunt was an afternoon at the camp I've been hunting the last few years. I manage 3 silvers and 10 wheats, along with the usual pocket full of clad.

OxShoeDrew
04-05-2017, 03:48 PM
Hey Jeff, is that watch winder from 1891? It looks so amazing...the font looks like it could be from 1991, but I never heard of anyone giving out watch winders to seniors in my life time :lol: Congrats on the large take. I'm also hunting an old deserted ball field. I can't seem to get time to hunt though. I know you have LOADS of time now :lol::notworthy:

Digger_O'Dell
04-05-2017, 07:17 PM
Some nice finds Jeff! No idea on the button, but its a cool find.

Sounds like that baseball field of pull tabs is going to be quite a challenge. Drop me a line if you would like to try my TDI out there. You can set the machine to tune out those pull tabs and hit everything else.

Fire Fighter 43
04-05-2017, 07:29 PM
Hey Jeff, is that watch winder from 1891? It looks so amazing...the font looks like it could be from 1991, but I never heard of anyone giving out watch winders to seniors in my life time :lol: Congrats on the large take. I'm also hunting an old deserted ball field. I can't seem to get time to hunt though. I know you have LOADS of time now :lol::notworthy:

It is 1991 made by Josten, I think it is a key fob or necklace charm.

MangoAve
04-06-2017, 01:39 PM
Nice finds. That is an interesting button. No idea on it other than the info you gathered.

wisconsin digger
04-09-2017, 07:31 AM
Great finds and nice relics Jeff. Nice research. It has definitely been slim pickings this year so research is definitely important. Thanks for photos WD

Digger Don
04-09-2017, 09:51 AM
Great finds. I really like that button, very interesting. Best of luck when you get back there!!
:congrats: on the Silver as well!!

Muddy Mike
04-09-2017, 09:11 PM
Nice finds Fire, I'm having a hard time finding the dates on some of the buttons I've found. I can see them on the web but they don't give the dates. :dontknow::dontknow: