PDA

View Full Version : Farm Field finds - lead, buttons and coins

catskillcomics
04-06-2017, 02:15 PM
Got permission to hunt 100 or so acres of farm fields which is own by the town. One portion of the fields is slated to become a sport field & parking, so I started with that field first (approx 10 or so acres)
Found quite a bit of lead, especially like the musket ball and the 2 little buck balls. My first target which told me this was old grounds was the tombac button which is the middle on in the picture. During the last 1/2 hour of my hunting day I found both the 2 cent coin and an indian head penny. The 2cent looks better than the pictures shows, but the date I could not read the last number so its a 186?. The indian is pretty toasty, but again was able to make out date except the last number .. and it too is 186?
Very excited to find these coins, I'm hoping the 2 larger fields with bring some silver or a nice colonial copper.. but we shall see..

Cooper
04-06-2017, 03:21 PM
Nice finds what kind of detector are you using

catskillcomics
04-06-2017, 03:32 PM
Nice finds what kind of detector are you using Im using AT Pro

Lodge Scent
04-06-2017, 04:32 PM
Round lead is always a nice find. A field that size will have at least a few coppers waiting for your coil.

Digger_O'Dell
04-06-2017, 04:42 PM
Some very nice finds! I have so many acres of farm fields to cover it'll take me many years though so far very little. Glad to see you have the patience to make those saves before the area gets black topped.

OxShoeDrew
04-06-2017, 07:22 PM
Looks like there is some fine details under that crud on the 2 center. You're going to make out nicely at that site! Keep us posted!

BTV Digger
04-06-2017, 07:50 PM
Nice finds and looks like you've got a nice slug of land to detect for awhile. Agree with Drew on that 2 center - probably some detail left if you're careful in removing some of the crud. Good luck!

John

Ken C
04-07-2017, 02:52 PM
Great finds!

Full Metal Digger
04-07-2017, 03:22 PM
That sure is a bunch of lead! Love the tombac button. I was hoping to find during my visit but it will have to wait for next year! HH, Dave.