PDA

View Full Version : Farm Field finds II - lead & Silver

catskillcomics
04-08-2017, 05:34 PM
Went back to farm field today for 4 hours.. doing 2 rows at a time, going down and back is 45 minutes, so as you can imagine I didn't get to far in the field today. Found more lead, which again, the Musket ball was a nice fine. I believe the fork looking thing is a fire poker and the top left corner may be a corner part of a shoe buckle but since I've never found one I'm not to sure.. and finally.. A silver quarter.. I was a little disappointed as after finding mid 1800s coins I though for sure this would of been a seated quarter.. but oh well.. I'll take it..

Digger_O'Dell
04-08-2017, 07:25 PM
Congrats on the finds! Any silver is a good find, and the bullets are pretty cool and look quite old. The fields I hunt are usually filled with aluminum cans and wire mostly, though I can swing for hours sometimes without a single peep.

BTV Digger
04-08-2017, 08:38 PM
Yup, the old farm fields can take awhile to cover, but that gives you an umpteen no. of trips to find more! The musket ball looks like a 0.69 caliber of the Brown Bess fare. Congrats.

John

catskillcomics
04-08-2017, 09:00 PM
Congrats on the finds! Any silver is a good find, and the bullets are pretty cool and look quite old. The fields I hunt are usually filled with aluminum cans and wire mostly, though I can swing for hours sometimes without a single peep.

... And the last hour and 1/2 of my hunt shut right down on me with nothing but an occasional iron beep.. it's amazing how it goes from hot to cold ..this site will last me all year, many acres to cover

catskillcomics
04-08-2017, 09:02 PM
Yup, the old farm fields can take awhile to cover, but that gives you an umpteen no. of trips to find more! The musket ball looks like a 0.69 caliber of the Brown Bess fare. Congrats.

John
Thanks for the info.. its a hefty ball .. the first thing I thought is Wow, this would leave a mark on a person..

MangoAve
04-10-2017, 09:32 AM
Grats on some silver. I agree that it looks like a fire poker. Something isn't right with the bullets. Extrapolated from the size of the quarter, the musket might be a .69 cal. But a few of the tips look like CW style. Right side, 3rd piece down looks like it'd be a .52 sharps variant while the bottom looks like it might be a .58 gardner, but there is no way based upon the size of the quarter and musket. Idk.

chief5709
04-12-2017, 04:44 AM
I enjoy field hunting. I have permissions that I have been going to for years and they still produce... Keep at it :thumbsup01:

OxShoeDrew
04-14-2017, 09:37 AM
I'm currently hunting a field like that. I'm covering it row after row. A bit monotonous but lots of targets. Keep at it!

Ken C
04-15-2017, 07:50 AM
Great day digging there, congrats!