PDA

View Full Version : 1788 Vermont Copper

aloldstuff
04-12-2017, 12:47 PM
Today RobW and myself decided to get out before the rain. Seeing that we did not have much time Rob suggested we go to the CT copper field, so off we went. After checking in with the farmer I asked Rob which side of farm should we do, he picked a real good side...for me...:lol:.

I didn't get much but what I did get got me excited. I went to the area that I had gotten the 2 real from and started hitting the beaten down grass area. Not long after I got a good signal 79-83 VDI. Dug down and there is the copper. Got it out of the hole gave it a pants rub and I could see it still had some meat on it. Naturally I thought another CT copper.(my eyes aren't that good) So I did something I very rarely do, I yelled over to Rob saying that I got something. He comes over and states that it must be good cause I never call him over(he's been known to bottom feed :lol:) I tell him that I think I have a CT copper. So he looks at it, swears at me, then tells me its a VT copper. my first. :shocked04:

The coin made my day and getting Rob to swear at me was the icing on the cake..:lol:

Thanks for reading and HH everyone. I have no idea of what happened to my font??

Looking at the Whitman Encyclopedia of Colonial and Early American coins
I believe that it is a W-2175 RR-23 Bressett 10-o URS-9(125-249 known).

del
04-12-2017, 01:45 PM
wow Al , that copper is in decent shape . once I get home I'll look up the variety. great find , did it make Rob cry a bit ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Al it very close to the Ryder 23 variety here http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/vermont_coppers/vt_ryder_23.htm

lee
04-12-2017, 03:29 PM
wow AL , that is off the peg mate !!!!.
congratulations on a great find,my first ever copper was a Vermont copper found with the trusty coin-master at 15 inches but was not even close to being that good looking.

Bucknut
04-12-2017, 03:31 PM
Great detail on that Vermont copper! Congrats!

aloldstuff
04-12-2017, 03:48 PM
wow Al , that copper is in decent shape . once I get home I'll look up the variety. great find , did it make Rob cry a bit ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Al it very close to the Ryder 23 variety here http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/vermont_coppers/vt_ryder_23.htm

thanks for looking Dan. I am quite pleased with the condition and it being a VT copper.

wow AL , that is off the peg mate !!!!.
congratulations on a great find,my first ever copper was a Vermont copper found with the trusty coin-master at 15 inches but was not even close to being that good looking.

Lee, the soil at that farm is very easy on the old coppers (most of them)

Great detail on that Vermont copper! Congrats!

Thanks Bucknut, I'm still smiling

OxShoeDrew
04-12-2017, 04:28 PM
Your excitement shows in your font! :lol:
"he's been known to bottom feed" :lol:
Is that a dandy on the right? Big congrats, Al!

Ill Digger
04-12-2017, 04:45 PM
:crying02: :girlcry: Man that day of rain really screwed things up! :envious: You guys have dug alotta sweet coins from that field! I was really hoping to hunt that field with you when we were out there.
Awesome coin Al! :perfect10:
:omg: It's in phenomenal shape!!
Congrats! :grin:

aloldstuff
04-12-2017, 05:16 PM
Your excitement shows in your font! :lol:
"he's been known to bottom feed" :lol:
Is that a dandy on the right? Big congrats, Al!

Drew, yes its a dandy....probably should have mentioned it my post but, no shank, design, bent.

:crying02: :girlcry: Man that day of rain really screwed things up! :envious: You guys have dug alotta sweet coins from that field! I was really hoping to hunt that field with you when we were out there.
Awesome coin Al! :perfect10:
:omg: It's in phenomenal shape!!
Congrats! :grin:

Tim, thanks for the response and I am quite pleased with the condition of the coin.

Digger_O'Dell
04-12-2017, 06:15 PM
Beautiful find Al, should have that one framed!

Full Metal Digger
04-12-2017, 08:24 PM
Congratulations Al, that is an awesome coin! I'm really happy for you that you found it. It's got beautiful details. Is it your first VT copper? HH Dave.

Lodge Scent
04-12-2017, 08:55 PM
That is a sweet looking VT Al. Rarely do you see them that nice. :congrats:

wisconsin digger
04-13-2017, 12:20 AM
Wow what a find, congrats on the your first Vermont Copper. Outstanding WD

aloldstuff
04-13-2017, 05:08 AM
Beautiful find Al, should have that one framed!

Thanks D.O.D...gave it a light brushing with a toothbrush and then put some RenWax on it.

Congratulations Al, that is an awesome coin! I'm really happy for you that you found it. It's got beautiful details. Is it your first VT copper? HH Dave.

Dave, Yes it's my 1st VT :thumbsup02:...still stoked over it.

That is a sweet looking VT Al. Rarely do you see them that nice. :congrats:

Jeff, there I go again....getting spoiled with a nice copper...:lol:

Wow what a find, congrats on the your first Vermont Copper. Outstanding WD

WD, thanks for the congrats.

Tony Two-Cent
04-13-2017, 07:17 AM
Congrats on your first Vermont Copper, Al, and it's a beauty with incredible detail left on it! :perfect10:

I hope you get more finds from that field that make Rob swear at you! :lol:

aloldstuff
04-13-2017, 03:27 PM
Congrats on your first Vermont Copper, Al, and it's a beauty with incredible detail left on it! :perfect10:

I hope you get more finds from that field that make Rob swear at you! :lol:

Thanks Tony, really happy with this find. As far as Rob goes there were several words and a few hand motions thrown my way...:lol:

BTV Digger
04-13-2017, 06:32 PM
Fantastic coin Al! Congrats to you. Still waiting on my first up here in the home of the Vermont Coppers!

John

aloldstuff
04-13-2017, 06:58 PM
Fantastic coin Al! Congrats to you. Still waiting on my first up here in the home of the Vermont Coppers!

John
Thanks
John,

I feel your pain, I'm still waiting for a Mass copper here in MA.

Digger Don
04-13-2017, 07:03 PM
That's an awesome find Al. Great condition too.:perfect10:
Now get back there and find some more:lolsign:

Ken C
04-13-2017, 07:39 PM
WOW! In great shape! :congrats:

aloldstuff
04-13-2017, 07:48 PM
That's an awesome find Al. Great condition too.:perfect10:
Now get back there and find some more:lolsign:

Don, thanks but I don't really work well under pressure. :lol:

WOW! In great shape! :congrats:

Thanks Ken

The Rebel
04-14-2017, 09:51 AM
WTG on the VT. Still looking for my 1st.

Fire Fighter 43
04-20-2017, 08:36 AM
Wow!! Awesome find, congrats. That coin would make my year yet alone my day, WTG.

DavidGC
04-21-2017, 08:47 AM
Vermont was the first state to issue coppers coins.
Here's a little article about Robert Harmon, the guy who made the first Vermont coppers (and probably the one you found).

https://vermonthistory.org/images/stories/articles/greenmountaineer/makingamint.pdf

Donnie B
04-21-2017, 08:15 PM
That is an awesome find! It is also in beautiful condition! WOW! :congrats:

Ill Digger
04-27-2017, 06:43 PM
:loveit:. I just can't get over how nice this state copper is Al! :smitten:
:congrats:

aloldstuff
04-29-2017, 10:05 AM
:loveit:. I just can't get over how nice this state copper is Al! :smitten:
:congrats:

Tim, yeah I am really impressed with the condition. It's a shame that the rain arrived while you guy were out here, that coin could have been your's.