PDA

View Full Version : 3 hour cornfield hunt.. Large Cent

catskillcomics
04-17-2017, 03:20 PM
Went out for about 3 hours today, back at the cornfield.. Found another Braided Hair Large Cent.. 1857, the last digit was a little iffy..
Odd thing about all the coppers I've found at this field, all were about 20-30 feet from the edge of one side of the field. It could be just coincidence but I think that may be were the road for the wagons must of traveled.. or I'm just over thinking it..:lol:

Lodge Scent
04-17-2017, 03:38 PM
Not over thinking it. Edges of fields got most of the travel back in the day same as they still do now.

Digger Don
04-17-2017, 03:57 PM
Very nice Largie. I guess you have to keep pounding along those edges.
Good Luck!

del
04-17-2017, 04:52 PM
Not over thinking it. Edges of fields got most of the travel back in the day same as they still do now.

Jeff is correct , also if the one side of your field that is producing is near an existing or main road there may have been a small vegetable or fruit stand to sell produce where money transactions were made .

milco
04-18-2017, 07:24 AM
Also, farmers typically plant and harvest in patterns, so back in the day one side of the field may have been the loading spot for the harvest, lots of workers with coins falling out of their pockets or resting in the shade at the edge of the field. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aloldstuff
04-20-2017, 02:06 PM
Don't get to see many 1857 LC's....:congrats:. Hope that field keeps producing.

Ken C
04-21-2017, 07:54 AM
Very nice! One of the farm fields I dig has a lot of coins and I would say more than half are within 20-30 feet of the road that is visible on old maps.