PDA

View Full Version : 2 hour exploring new cornfield permission

catskillcomics
04-19-2017, 12:16 PM
Yesterday I received permission to go metal detecting on a farm with Lots and Lots of acres of cornfields and pasture. The home was built in 1780. So, today I went for a quick 2 hour exploration hunt, hitting a few rows randomly through out one field and hitting edges on the front and back of the fields.

Nothing overly exciting but good to know that the fields had not been detected. Piece of Jewlery, the stem is plated but I think the little clovers are solid gold, 14 or 18K.. Maybe..Key plate, Wheatie, flat button, and a metal label for Spear's Deluxe flyer (whatever that is? I tried to look it up but only Brittany Spears kept showing up):lol:

Other than that, a few nails, lots of shotgun shells, and some lead..

Gave the goodies to the owner, going back Saturday.. looking forward to it

Tony Two-Cent
04-19-2017, 12:52 PM
I wonder if the "Spears Deluxe Flyer" emblem is off of a toy wagon or pedal car?

The gold plated item with the clovers is intriguing. Do you think it was some kind of clasp?

Lots more area to explore there. Good luck on your return trip, Scott!

Noah
04-19-2017, 02:08 PM
Wonder if there are 1700's sites in IL......:pirate:Good going on getting such an exciting permission.

Full Metal Digger
04-19-2017, 03:32 PM
Great potential! The Spears Flyer is a head plate (flattened out) from an old bicycle or motor bicycle.

OxShoeDrew
04-19-2017, 04:15 PM
That looks just like many of my sites! I bet it pays off handsomely. Did they say anyone has ever detected it before?

catskillcomics
04-19-2017, 04:33 PM
Oxshoe.. Only the house yard was detected once by a kid (13 -14 yo) some years ago.

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Ken C
04-19-2017, 04:43 PM
My favorite places to hunt are old farm fields. It's basically all I hunt. Best of luck, looks like you'll be busy all year!

Does https://www.historicaerials.com/ show any old home sites?

Digger_O'Dell
04-19-2017, 07:28 PM
Some nice finds! I did find some listings for Spear & Co. of Pittsburgh. A 1921 ad lists both a coaster wagon and pedal car as a "flyer" on Pintarest. Sorry I can't get a link, for some reason Pintarest doesn't work well on mobile.

aloldstuff
04-20-2017, 02:03 PM
WOW...what a site. You're gonna be very busy. I personally love to do plowed fields. I think that you have many exciting finds ahead of you.

catskillcomics
04-23-2017, 05:26 AM
My favorite places to hunt are old farm fields. It's basically all I hunt. Best of luck, looks like you'll be busy all year!

Does https://www.historicaerials.com/ show any old home sites?

Ken, Thanks for the link, wow, I see where the barn use to be.. I'll have to let the owners know.. this is great!