PDA

View Full Version : More relics from the woods

BTV Digger
04-22-2017, 06:34 PM
Hi folks. Well, the snow is finally gone in the lower elevations up here in the Green Mountain state...FINALLY. I found a few of these items back in early March before the big blizzard (crotal bell etc.), but 30 inches of the white stuff set us detectorists back a solid month up here. Finally got out for a solid hunt this past week and nabbed some decent stuff from the woods. No coins this time, but did find a few nice keepers including a nice strap buckle, part of an Eagle Lock Co. trunk lock (c. 1880) and a silver plated suspender clip with a patent date of 12/15/08 - I'll take that one for sure. The lead bazinga was the heartache of the day - rang up a 78 and nearly identical in size to a large copper. Oh well - there'll be a few largies with my name on it at some point this year. Good luck and HH!

John

Donnie B
04-22-2017, 07:30 PM
Nice relics!

catskillcomics
04-23-2017, 05:22 AM
Nice hunt, nice crotal bell!

aloldstuff
04-23-2017, 05:28 AM
John, I got the same lead bazinga the other day.

DavidGC
04-23-2017, 09:15 AM
Hey John -- You are the VT King of Crotals!
Nice video. My heart jumped a bit when you uncovered the round, lead seal. (I was thinking Spanish silver -- just for a second, but I was thinking it.)
I'm going out for a (very) short hunt this morning -- the first since last summer's knee surgery.
I'm walking fine, but I still can't get up and down from the ground or kneel down. I've seen other old geezers MDing
from a standing position with a shovel (Chill Bill never seems to need to kneel), so I'm determined.
I don't want to give up another summer! (And I want: 1) a VT copper; and 2) a crotal bell!)

del
04-23-2017, 01:39 PM
Great variety of relics John , I'm glad you can get out . that darn snow has been hanging on too long here in New England !

OxShoeDrew
04-23-2017, 06:15 PM
That crotal is in good shape....seems to still have a nice sheen! :thumbsup02:
Lately I've been finding little white buttons like the one in your pic. Is it plastic?

Digger Don
04-23-2017, 07:15 PM
Great bunch of finds. Love the crotal bell :congrats:

Lodge Scent
04-24-2017, 06:54 AM
Good to see you on the prowl John. Nice digs. I like that carriage bell (if that's what it is).

milco
04-24-2017, 08:56 PM
Glad you made it out, nice finds!

BTV Digger
04-28-2017, 09:05 AM
John, I got the same lead bazinga the other day.

Well...I feel a little better now Al seeing other folks have found those darned things!

Hey John -- You are the VT King of Crotals!
Nice video. My heart jumped a bit when you uncovered the round, lead seal. (I was thinking Spanish silver -- just for a second, but I was thinking it.)
I'm going out for a (very) short hunt this morning -- the first since last summer's knee surgery.
I'm walking fine, but I still can't get up and down from the ground or kneel down. I've seen other old geezers MDing
from a standing position with a shovel (Chill Bill never seems to need to kneel), so I'm determined.
I don't want to give up another summer! (And I want: 1) a VT copper; and 2) a crotal bell!)

Thanks David! Yeah, I seem to have a magnet for attracting those crotals. I'll take 'em though! Glad to see you're getting out again. We'll get together this year for sure.

Great variety of relics John , I'm glad you can get out . that darn snow has been hanging on too long here in New England !

Thanks much Dan.

That crotal is in good shape....seems to still have a nice sheen! :thumbsup02:
Lately I've been finding little white buttons like the one in your pic. Is it plastic?

It's porcelain I believe Drew. Or maybe some other heavier material than plastic...Bakelite perhaps?

Good to see you on the prowl John. Nice digs. I like that carriage bell (if that's what it is).

Thanks Jeff. Yeah, at first I though it was a sleigh bell, but on closer inspection I also believe it's a carriage bell.

chief5709
04-28-2017, 12:22 PM
Hey John, Nice hunt. I've found a few of the sleigh bells and wasn't sure exactly what they were. Learned something watching your video :thumbsup01:. Nice job cleaning up your finds!!