PDA

View Full Version : Old silver thingy

Bucknut
04-25-2017, 09:32 AM
This past weekend I found this silver thing. I put a buffalo nickel by it for size reference. It is not marked but it is sterling. The lower part of it is very thin and it fit onto perhaps a base of some sort or onto a container. It does not have the threads for screwing so it must have just snapped on. The "spout" has a slight taper to it similar to a candle holder but I think this is way too small for that. A dime fits perfectly on top of the spout. Another clue is that when I was rinsing the dirt out of it I found a red material in the spout ... very much like the material you will find in an old lip stick tube.

I can get more pics later. I will also post all my finds in a few days or so.

I'm guessing maybe an ink well top? Maybe a small candle holder? Top of a lamp that once had a genie in it?

The Rebel
04-25-2017, 09:56 AM
Nice find. Gotta be a candle holder. Ink wells were mostly made of glass or ceramic.

Full Metal Digger
04-25-2017, 02:03 PM
It sure looks like a candle holder but where is the drip guard?

Bucknut
04-25-2017, 03:12 PM
It sure looks like a candle holder but where is the drip guard?

And why is there a handle thing? The more I think about it the more I am not sure what it is.

Full Metal Digger
04-25-2017, 04:10 PM
The finger ring is so you can carry the candle from room-to-room (in the days before electricity). That part makes sense but every image I can find of candle holders similar to yours all have a drip guard. You didn't want hot wax dripping onto your hand or the furniture!

Bucknut
04-25-2017, 07:44 PM
The finger ring is so you can carry the candle from room-to-room (in the days before electricity). That part makes sense but every image I can find of candle holders similar to yours all have a drip guard. You didn't want hot wax dripping onto your hand or the furniture!

I can't even put my pinky into that ring. I'll post some more pics.

Bucknut
04-26-2017, 08:24 AM

Here are a few more pics. If it is a candle holder it is a very small one.

Full Metal Digger
04-26-2017, 11:49 AM
Now I can see the size of it a bit better. I would guess it is merely decorative and wasn't meant to really be used for a candle. With it being silver I don't think it is a child's toy but maybe. I bet Del will know!

Digger_O'Dell
04-26-2017, 11:52 AM
Looks to me like a decanter top or bottle spout. I could see a decorative tassel tied to the "handle".

Full Metal Digger
04-26-2017, 12:01 PM
Looks to me like a decanter top or bottle spout. I could see a decorative tassel tied to the "handle".

I think DoD nailed it! A decanter top is perfect. I guess I don't drink enough to have recognized it! Good job DoD! LOL.

Bucknut
04-26-2017, 12:24 PM
Yeah I can see that being a decanter top. There must of been a glass stopper for that spout.

del
04-30-2017, 10:52 PM
I would agree its a spout top for something and I bet a small chain kept it close to the decanter or perfume bottle .

Ken C
05-02-2017, 06:42 AM
I was thinking candle holder at first too, but the photo with your hand seems to eliminate that. I wonder if the ring held a chain of some type that kept the top from being lost...just a guess.