PDA

View Full Version : Large Crotal bell find

catskillcomics
04-27-2017, 03:34 PM
Went out metal detecting today for a few hours, didn't find much worth talking about except for this huge crotal bell. It's about the size of a tennis ball. I placed a regular size crotal next to it for comparison. It is cracked, but the dingler is still inside and still rings.
I didn't find it the cornfield, but in a small grassy area next to the field...If anyone has idea of how old it may be, please let me know.

Digger_O'Dell
04-27-2017, 04:18 PM
Very cool find! Too bad it's cracked, but at least it's complete. As for age, my best guess is mid to late 1800s, possibly even up to about 1920. It's a very common design. I would suggest looking for a makers mark, logo, etc that could narrow it down significantly.

aloldstuff
04-27-2017, 04:46 PM
I have several small crotal's but the large one is eluding me.....congrats on yours.

catskillcomics
04-27-2017, 05:32 PM
Very cool find! Too bad it's cracked, but at least it's complete. As for age, my best guess is mid to late 1800s, possibly even up to about 1920. It's a very common design. I would suggest looking for a makers mark, logo, etc that could narrow it down significantly.
Digger... Do you know where the makers mark , if any, would be located? Thanks..

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

del
04-27-2017, 06:12 PM
Congrats on the large crotal bell , unfortunately when they get to be bigger than normal they develop stress cracks and break . nice find !:thumbsup02:

Digger... Do you know where the makers mark , if any, would be located? Thanks..

on the bottom on either side of the open slit are where the initials or size number are located Scott .

catskillcomics
04-27-2017, 06:22 PM
Congrats on the large crotal bell , unfortunately when they get to be bigger than normal they develop stress cracks and break . nice find !:thumbsup02:

on the bottom on either side of the open slit are where the initials or size number are located Scott .
Thanks!

Ill Digger
04-27-2017, 07:33 PM
Whoa! :shocked01: So that's what they look like whole huh? :lol:
I've found parts and pieces of big crotal bells, but never a whole one.
Too bad it's cracked but at least it's still one one piece and still has the dinger ball! :lol:
Nice find!
Congrats! :grin:

chief5709
04-28-2017, 04:51 AM
Congrats!

BTV Digger
04-28-2017, 09:08 AM
Nice big crotal Scott and congrats! I've found a number of crotals over the past few years, but a big one still eludes me. Maker's mark on the bottom may indicate age, but mid 1800s to early 20th century would be a good first guess.

John

Ken C
04-28-2017, 09:15 AM
Hey, that's awesome! Congrats!

OxShoeDrew
04-28-2017, 04:33 PM
I have several small crotal's but the large one is eluding me.....congrats on yours. Me too....a large crotal is near the top of my wish list! Congrats!!