PDA

View Full Version : Eye of the storm allows some silver.

Digger_O'Dell
05-02-2017, 12:16 PM
Hi all,
Yesterday I guess I timed it perfect. I had the morning off from work a d was planning to head out. But the past several days has been just one storm after another. Today we had what looked like a big Midwest hurricane go through which gave me about 5 hours of almost cloudless sunshine between the black walls of the storm.
I decided to take a short road trip to an old quarry park I've hunted before. It was just so loaded with hot rocks in some areas it was nearly unhuntable with a vlf machine. I tried working this area with my PI only to pop out several deep zincolns from the mud. The ground was so wet it wasn't enjoyable at all to dig, so decided to water hunt the quarry off the beach.
There isn't a lot of sand before it drops off the deep end. But I could tell it had been hunted a lot from the big potholes in the smooth bottom. But once I worked towards the outer edges I got my first high tone, a bouncy 12-47/48. Scooped out a bunch of gunk along with the sand and had to screen through the twigs and leaves until I found the black circle. I knew it was silver by the signal, but whatever is in that mud just ate into the silver a bit and stained it black.
It wasn't too far away I got another signal. Thus time a very scratchy 12-42ish. In the gunk I found what I thought was a black split junker ring, though it did ring up high. Once I cleaned it some i did find a stamp that looks a lot like a 925.

This pretty much wrapped up the finds here so decided to hit another beach for s while before work. Didn't want to get too dirty since I had my first responder training and certification. I only found a lot of clad and a fairly large earring. Pretty sure it's only brass, but the post and clip are Sterling. Close enough in my book to count! Thanks for reading, hh&gl!

Digger Don
05-02-2017, 12:49 PM
Nice way to sidestep mother nature. Get in while the gettings good.( and dry )
Congrats on the silver rings

Cooper
05-02-2017, 02:54 PM
Nice finds still looking for my first ring

Digger_O'Dell
05-02-2017, 04:09 PM
Nice finds still looking for my first ring

Looking on beaches, or in the water is your best chance. Next is parks, then yards. Keep hunting, you'll find many.