PDA

View Full Version : 3 hour hunt, connecticut copper?

catskillcomics
05-05-2017, 06:40 AM
Went out yesterday for a short 3 hour hunt, wanted it to be longer, but I forgot the bug spray and the may flies were eating me alive. But in that time I managed to find a few things, Pocket watch key, a couple buttons, and of all things a Trumpet mouth piece (strange for a cornfield). But my last target was what I think is a Connecticut copper. Pretty slick but a little more detail than my last one.

Digger_O'Dell
05-05-2017, 07:03 AM
Nice hunt, that mouthpiece is an unusual find. Congrats on the big copper!

del
05-05-2017, 08:25 AM
Nice finds Scott , any battles or encampment sites close by ? As I can't think of any other reason for a bugle part to be in a farm field unless maybe kids keeping the crows out of the corn !:lol: I bet you still may attribute that Connecticut copper as I can see crosses instead of cinquefoils .

Dan

aloldstuff
05-05-2017, 09:23 AM
Yes pretty strange to find a trumpet part in a corn field. Great finds and good luck on your return visit. :thumbsup02:

OxShoeDrew
05-06-2017, 06:43 PM
WOW....most likely a bugle mouthpiece as Del mentioned...as opposed to a trumpet mouth piece. The shank angle looks like it would be from a bugle.
It seems the last part to rot away on CT coppers is the "connec" part. Nine out of ten CT coppers I've found have the connec but no date. Congrats!

catskillcomics
05-07-2017, 05:51 AM
Well Dan, after reading your reply to my post, I thought I'd do some research... come to find out, maybe a 1/4 mile from the fields if that, there was a Revolutionary War training camp for The Fourth Regiment of the Continental Army.. It's also the same area where The townsfolk took refuge while the British burned the state capital, Kingston,NY across the river. There is also a Tavern, next to the Training Camp (that still stands and in use today) that George Washington, Philip Schuyler, Benedict Arnold, and Alexander Hamilton all stayed at periodically throughout the Revolutionary War.

So, that may explain why I've been finding so many musket balls, not sure, and may explain the bugle mouthpiece.. but interesting..