PDA

View Full Version : Meager pickins' and one good find

BTV Digger
05-09-2017, 06:27 PM
Hi all and hope this note finds you well. Hit some corn fields last week in a town near me with lots of history. About an hour into the hunt a truck pulls up and out pops an older guy who says he'd been detecting the fields for the last 20 years and has found some amazing things (Reales, a number of early LCs etc). Very friendly guy and I talked to him about a 1/2 hour. I already had permission for the fields so wasn't worried about anything, just was nice to talk to a fellow detectorist. He said he finds stuff in these fields every year and wished me luck before taking off. Well, wish I could show you some stellar relics, but this guy has cleaned these fields up quite well. I mostly found common fare - a few buttons (tombac, etc), an open topped thimble and old bottle tops - I always keep a few of those. Best find was a little GS CW cuff eagle one piece button. Homes were all gone on the 1871 map so probably an early variety. Thanks for looking and HH!

John

aloldstuff
05-09-2017, 07:17 PM
John, if the other detectorist left you those goodies, then there is more to be had. Nice eagle button.

del
05-09-2017, 08:18 PM
John I love the open end thimbles , I only have a couple out of a few dozen found ! congrats on the eagle button :cheering:

Dan

Digger_O'Dell
05-09-2017, 09:07 PM
Nice button and thimble! Never heard of an open top thimble before. I just found a flattened thimble without a top which I hat thought was just broken off if the flattening process. Guess I'll have to take a closer look.
Edit: confirmed it wasn't broken as it has a nice smooth edge.

OxShoeDrew
05-10-2017, 04:22 AM
John, how do you know that reed is a c#? Is it printed on it? Cool relics!

Donnie B
05-10-2017, 05:40 AM
I love that thimble! Nice find!

Lodge Scent
05-10-2017, 08:19 AM
There's more than one good find in that hunt.

BTV Digger
05-13-2017, 03:50 AM
John, if the other detectorist left you those goodies, then there is more to be had. Nice eagle button.

Thanks Al. The other detectorist I talked to has obviously hit these fields hard over the years, but there's always a few things left. Once the farmer plows the fields and before he plants I may have another brief window to hunt there this spring. Otherwise it'll have to wait until October.

John I love the open end thimbles , I only have a couple out of a few dozen found ! congrats on the eagle button :cheering:

Dan

Thanks alot Dan! Yeah, it surprised me it would be whole after that long in the ground of a plowed field.

John, how do you know that reed is a c#? Is it printed on it? Cool relics!

Hi Drew. If you look at the pic "C#" is stamped into the piece at bottom. After some quick research a few years back I came to find that many of these have the note marks on them. HH!

There's more than one good find in that hunt.

Thanks for the complement Jeff!