PDA

View Full Version : Nice field hunt on Monday

catskillcomics
05-16-2017, 07:00 AM
Went back to the park that has fields. There was a large odd hill with a flat top that looked like it may have been man-made with fill but thought I'd give it shot anyways.. once I noticed gouged rocks I knew it was part of a field at one time.

Came out with several flat buttons one small button being a tombac, the quarter is just for comparison purposes. The 2 largest are 1 1/8" diameter, the first large one is a tombac, the copper one got whacked by a plow. The third I believe is the top part of a 2 piece button (pewter I think). The mouth harp was a nice find as well as the broken shoe buckle, I like the design. Also found a musket ball, and I have no idea the the bottom left item is.. at first I thought maybe a tobacco tamper, but then saw the hole and the groves on the stem.. so it must be part of some equipment :dontknow:

Digger_O'Dell
05-16-2017, 10:25 AM
Some very cool finds! Think your piece in the lower left is an air chuck for inflating tires. I've found a couple similar ones lately. I had a nice field hunt planned for today myself but had a big storm last night again so it's back to being swamped.

aloldstuff
05-16-2017, 04:35 PM
Some great finds and I also just recently dug one of those air chuck thingies??

del
05-17-2017, 09:18 PM
Great looking "jaw-harp" Scott , I love the large tombacs and you small item in the lower left of the picture is a furniture peg for a dresser handle pull . the hole kept one side of the handle anchored similar to one like this

catskillcomics
05-18-2017, 05:16 AM
Thanks Del, I know you can't see it in the picture the hole on the screw goes all the way through.. more than likely it is a drawer handle anchor, thought maybe it could of been a Jaw screw on a flintlock as well.