PDA

View Full Version : Searching The Indian River Field Site

Bell-Two
05-17-2017, 12:11 PM
As the field season is winding down, farmers are planting the beans and corn is already starting to sprout up we have been going to a few of our old sites that aren’t planted yet just to try and squeeze out a few more keepers. We also have been walking the fields looking for Indian Artifacts as well and when we were out doing that we came across a house site that was not on any of the maps! This huge field is one I have permission on and has not been planted so we hiked back to the car and got our detectors and it turned out very good …at least for Diane…while I got a CW Staff Officers button she was able to dig a 1849 Large Cent! A couple days later another trip there and she picked up an 1859 Fatty Indian. We both got interesting relics as well. So last Saturday the crew revisited it and spent an hour but did not turn up much except for a buckle or two and some suspender latches. I did find a Dr. Bells Pine Tar Honey Cough Medicine token in the shape of a bell so I thought that was interesting. I said to Doug that according to the map there was a site much farther out in the field so we decided to go out and try to find it. Well it was found and looking back our car was a small speck on the horizon! Doug got a couple of flat buttons and then found some Indian Artifacts, two broken points and two drills with just the tip broken off. We started digging some brass bits, a button and buckle when at last the first coin appeared a 1901 Indian with just the edge appearing out of the ground. Then just about a few minutes later I dug a 1903 Indian. About 20 minutes or so I got a great signal and the first really old coin came out a1825 Large Cent! My streak continued when I got another decent tone and the first silver emerged it was a 1902 Barber Dime! And a bit later I again got the sweet signal on the Deus and this time again silver a 1916 Mercury Dime…no D…. lol! Finally Doug got in the game when he called me over to check his signal and we both concurred Large Cent so we did a live dig and it was an 1844 Large Cent…but due to cameral malfunction …or more likely user error it was not recorded. We were ready to leave when Doug got an 1865 Two Cent piece. Oh we had a competition to see who would dig the most shotgun head stamps…Doug got 11 but I got 17…so I won…I think!

https://youtu.be/LteHfQJp_B4

Digger_O'Dell
05-17-2017, 06:01 PM
Lots of great finds. Love those largies and that bell token! Congrats on a great hunt!

Noah
05-17-2017, 06:09 PM
That's a sweet hunt! Judging by the amount of trash, looks like you worked for it!! Great job! :notworthy:

del
05-17-2017, 09:22 PM
I love the knapped stone Tony and the keg tap is a great find when they are complete like that :perfect10:

Tony Two-Cent
05-18-2017, 09:05 AM
Fantastic bunch of old coins and relics, Tony! :thumbsup02:

You guys got a little bit of everything. You are definitely into an old site there, and you got some great eyeball finds in addition to the detector finds.

:congrats:

aloldstuff
05-26-2017, 04:17 PM
I have yet to find a point of any type....some day. As your fields get planted whats your plan??? Again great group of finds.

Lodge Scent
05-27-2017, 08:34 AM
What a great site! All kinds of goodies.

Bell-Two
05-27-2017, 12:55 PM
I have yet to find a point of any type....some day. As your fields get planted whats your plan??? Again great group of finds.

We can artifact hunt in planted fields since are only picking up surface finds, the first one is always the hardest, when you see one you will know it....the hand of man will stand out.

Donnie B
05-27-2017, 02:20 PM
Nice finds! I dug up one of those Dr. Bell's tokens about 22 years ago in Tennessee.