PDA

View Full Version : Barbers and Indians!

Bucknut
05-23-2017, 10:06 AM
I did another evening hunt last night in an old town. First spot is now an empty lot owned by the city but there were 4 homes on it back in the early 1900s or maybe earlier...I did not even find a single coin. Tons of trash and frustration.

So I headed to an old park and used the XP deus. This was the first time using the new 4.0 version. It sounded so different but I am sure I will get used to it. I dug a zinc penny that barely registered on the meter which should mean it was 8 inches or more deep...no just 3 inches. So I reburied it at 8 inches and the deus picked it up just fine and indicating it was deep like the first time. I use my depth indicator so much on my Etrac and it is pretty accurate but the deus is just not that accurate in determining how deep something is. Im sure if I use it more and tweak a few settings then I might be able to figure it out. I need to watch a few more Calabash videos. I did find that ball button in the last pic with deus though.

Moved onto another public spot and focused along a sidewalk (with my Etrac!!) that I have gone over before but this time I slowed WAY down and dug some amazing coins! Ended up with 3 barber dimes that all sounded and gave numbers like wheat pennies...1900, 1906 and a 1908. Also found 3 nice Indians...1892, 1895 and a 1898.

I had a great night!

Thanks for looking! Jared

Digger_O'Dell
05-23-2017, 10:40 AM
Great hunt! I assume the coins were either quite deep or surrounded by junk that extremely slow made that much of a difference?

Bucknut
05-23-2017, 11:09 AM
Great hunt! I assume the coins were either quite deep or surrounded by junk that extremely slow made that much of a difference?

Yeah this spot has a fair amount of road junk and everything was 6 plus inches.

aloldstuff
05-23-2017, 11:49 AM
It's amazing what will pop up when you go real slow. Congrats on your keepers.

wisconsin digger
05-24-2017, 12:02 AM
I have found some nice coins this year but Barber Dimes have eluded me. great finds on the night hunt WD

Tony Two-Cent
05-24-2017, 09:56 AM
Fantastic hunt with wonderful results! Three silver dimes and all of them are Barbers! You can't get much better than that. Add three Indian Heads from the 1800s and you have a really fun day.

:congrats:

Noah
05-24-2017, 04:35 PM
Haven't gotten too many barber yet this year, just a couple. Congrats.

MangoAve
05-26-2017, 10:03 AM
Grats on the silver, Buck. This reminds me of a debate on FB about coinshooting or relic hunting. If you ignore certain target ID's you might miss out on stuff like these barbers. Interesting how the deus 4.0 had that issue with depth. I wonder why that is and if there is a setting that can fix it for ya... at least to within reason. I'd understand a target with a higher conductivity, but smaller, being more shallow, but not by a vast 5" difference. Any info on the designed button?

Bucknut
05-26-2017, 11:33 AM
Grats on the silver, Buck. This reminds me of a debate on FB about coinshooting or relic hunting. If you ignore certain target ID's you might miss out on stuff like these barbers. Interesting how the deus 4.0 had that issue with depth. I wonder why that is and if there is a setting that can fix it for ya... at least to within reason. I'd understand a target with a higher conductivity, but smaller, being more shallow, but not by a vast 5" difference. Any info on the designed button?

The more I detect old areas the more I dig it all. I used to cherry pick a lot but now that I'm older and "wiser" I find myself digging those iffy trashy type signals. That is probably why I never dug those coins when I detected this spot a few years ago.

I think I fixed the depth "issue" on the deus....I lowered the Audio Response so that deeper targets sound fainter. Now I can listen to the sound to get an idea of how deep something is. I also made a test garden to play around in.

As for the button I just researched it. "BURG COTYR 1780X ARCHID AVST DUX" I found the following:

'Buttons with the inscription of "ARCHID AVST DUX BURG CO TYR 1780 X". The inscription is an abbreviation of "Maria Theresia, Dei Gratia Romanorum Imperatrix, Hungariae Bohemiaeque Regina, Archidux Austriae, Dux Burgundiae, Comes Tyrolis. 1780 X", which means, "Maria Theresa, by the grace of God, Empress of the Romans, Queen of Hungary and Bohemia, Archduchess of Austria, Duchess of Burgundy, Countess of Tyrol. 1780".'

Mine has an iron back and this design has been used for a long time. I would guess early 1900s? maybe?

Digger Don
06-08-2017, 07:04 PM
You're pounding the old silvers this year:congrats:

BTV Digger
06-10-2017, 04:12 AM
Nabbing the old silver again...congrats!

John

milco
06-17-2017, 10:08 PM
Great hunt! Nice Barbers!