PDA

View Full Version : another beat up copper, relics

randy
08-24-2010, 07:59 PM
Had a little time to hit the site I found the FE last night. Pulled another beat up dateless copper. Measured it at 12 inches, rang really solid. Looks like the same 1818-1836 range, also looks like there is a 9 in the date when you hold it at the correct angle. We have acidic soil here in Chester County, and it pretty much destroys these things :bangahead01: :bangahead01:. I think it was in half decent shape when it was dropped.

Also pulled some sort of bling and a small pocket knife. I'm not sure what the jewelery is -- it doesn't look a ring -- it looks like a pendant, but if it were to hang like a pendant, you couldn't see the stone. The stone looks like junk (there is a scratch in it). Found at about 8 inches, which was deeper than the FE, so maybe whatever it is, it is old.

del
08-24-2010, 08:11 PM
hey very nice Randy your item is a seal matrix and the stone is more than likely just glass these were sometimes carved with initials or a design or motif and used to seal letters with wax . its a great and personal item to find :clapping: :clapping: ,heres one i found this year .

Dan

coinnut
08-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Hey Randy Congrats on the copper , I think lol Nothing a good sandpaper rubbing can't fix ;) And Dan is correct on that seal. It's a very personal and cool relic to find. Your design seems older than Dan's and mine is. Dan's has a cool stone, either Onyx, Jet or black glass, I think :confused: Now you can carve your initials in it and sign all your important land grants in wax lol Here's a picture of mine I found with the owner's face in it (I'm assuming) Great find Randy!!