PDA

View Full Version : Last 2 hunts net old aluminum

Digger_O'Dell
05-30-2017, 06:51 PM
Hi all,
I got out for a couple hunts. The first being an old field next to what was once an 1800s farm and the other a water hunt at a park swimming hole. The farm itself is now built over be a very large factory which is expanding again into the field, which made this a priority hunt.
After several hours in the field, I did manage to hit another model T hub cap though quite mangled. Also hit a crotal bell piece. Guessing it would have been a large one around 2 inches, but hard to tell. Also found a fairly large but broken buckle frame. The dime is for size reference.

Monday morning I got put to a small inland lake for a couple hours along the edge of a park. It's a marked swimming area, but not improved with sand. Just a weedy and rocky bottom area. I had hoped to find some goodies here, but mostly only zinc pennies. I did have one moment I got excited though. Had a nice 12-44/45 signal which I had to chase for almost a half hour before I got it into the scoop. Then I saw a worn thin round shiny coin with a star on it. First thought was "Trime!" . But after a closer inspection I realized it was aluminum, and had a 5 on the other side. What the heck? After some research I was able to track it down as being a play coin made by Grimland in 1940s Germany.

Here's a couple pics of a nicer one from the net:

I also ended up finding another strange aluminum coin which turns out to be a 1953 50 Hapa coin from Yugoslavia.

Here's a pic of the rest of the hunt

Thanks for looking, gl&hh!

aloldstuff
05-31-2017, 05:07 AM
Priority hunts, such as where the factory is expanding are necessary only because if you didn't detect it you would always be wondering what was missed......Your right, that model T hub cab is very mangled.

Digger_O'Dell
05-31-2017, 05:55 AM
Priority hunts, such as where the factory is expanding are necessary only because if you didn't detect it you would always be wondering what was missed......Your right, that model T hub cab is very mangled.

Yep, that also goes for things like street tearouts. Not only is the ground exposed for only a short period of time, there really isn't a whole lot of area and in most places there's a lot of people vying for the finds. The competition can get tough! Lol