PDA

View Full Version : Really liking my electrolysis project!

Donnie B
06-02-2017, 09:07 PM
I have been wanting to do electrolysis on some of my iron relics for some time. I watched YouTube videos for several weeks and soaked up the information. I started out with a home made 9 volt battery set up but just bought a new (used) manual charger for my bigger relics. I like the results so far and thought I would share.59339593405934159342593435934459345

Lodge Scent
06-02-2017, 09:21 PM
Looks good! Since I built my unit, I purposely dig big iron now. There are sometimes nice relics hiding under those blobs of rust.

Digger_O'Dell
06-02-2017, 09:40 PM
Looks good! I picked up a 15v 60A power supply (free!) That does a great job, but maybe I don't have the patience as your stuff comes out looking much nicer than mine.

Ill Digger
06-02-2017, 09:47 PM
I like it too! 👌
Whatever the loop/skeleton key looking thing looks amazing!
Nicely done! 👍

Is that a trickle charger?
I don't know squat about electricity.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Digger Don
06-02-2017, 10:40 PM

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

No Tim, it's a Sears! LOL

Donnie B
06-03-2017, 06:15 AM
I don't know squat about electricity either! :shocked04: I haven't used the Sears Manual Battery Charger yet. I bought it on Ebay for $20.00 as new old stock still in the box. I bought it because all of the guys on YouTube recommend the manual over the new automatics.

I have been told that the key is for a colonial oxen yoke but I have yet to confirm that independently.

I like it too! 
Whatever the loop/skeleton key looking thing looks amazing!
Nicely done! 

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

BTV Digger
06-03-2017, 05:09 PM
Nice work Donnie! Made my own about a year ago and have gotten good results from it. I use a DieHard trickle charger at 2 amps for small items and 10 amps for big stuff. The bigger stuff does take longer than I originally thought, but I keep the old horse tack buckles and hand forged hoe blades now!

John

del
06-05-2017, 07:27 PM
Turned out very nice Donnie , I may have you do the mountain of iron tool and relics I've found !;)

Looks good! Since I built my unit, I purposely dig big iron now. There are sometimes nice relics hiding under those blobs of rust.

I just did that yesterday , at a mill site I purposely dug a big iron (old broken shovel head) target to see if it was masking anything and got a tombac button just underneath it .

Donnie B
06-05-2017, 07:33 PM
THAT is a great idea! I should have dug some iron out of the way at the second hole we hit yesterday. It was right on the edge of the hole. I don't mind at all doing the electrolysis Dan. It's basically set it and forget it for awhile.

Turned out very nice Donnie , I may have you do the mountain of iron tool and relics I've found !;)

I just did that yesterday , at a mill site I purposely dug a big iron (old broken shovel head) target to see if it was masking anything and got a tombac button just underneath it .