PDA

View Full Version : Copper #10 in <28 days and it's a consecutive C-S coin.

MangoAve
06-05-2017, 12:43 PM
Somehow it took a bit more effort to break double digits with coppers in the past 4 weeks. Maybe somewhere I had someone who was jelly and was the opposite of a well-wisher. Well, I still persevered. Oddly enough, it is my second counter stamped coin and also consecutive. Copper #9 was also... ON BOTH SIDES as well.

Since the counter stamp DB, I was only able to scoff up a tiny thimble, chewed up dandy, musket drop, two piece button, and whatever that tiny button is. I did have someone, just after I dug the two piece button, come over and ask if I was digging bottles, as he was looking for the bottle dump. Turns out the cellar down the road is where he was also checking and left a few holes open. Not just detectorists are the culprits. Oh, and that odd brass piece above the harmonica reed in the container finds came from that cellar. They were secondary focuses and they turned out to have more at them than the "hidden" ones. I also needed to rest after that hunt. On the way back from one cellar to go south of where I hiked in, I hit the foot on something in the hiking path. Either a nub or a small tree trunk (2-3" dia) that was cut down just above roots). I was watching a bird that was to my front left and just as soon as another animal to my back right made a loud noise to catch my attention, bam. ugh. It was black and blue. Now, I think I need stiffer sloggers.
This past Thurs and Fri I got out seeking permissions. First was an 1830. The guy seemed interested in it and had contemplated himself detecting. He said the work season was ending (he's a teacher) in a few weeks and to return. I did mention I had a spare detector to kinda get my foot into the door. Same with stop #2. She thought about it. Said the previous owner did it 20 yr ago. That didn't deter me. It was a 1730 house. Hope I can get in there. Friday was a 1760, but not promising. I forgot my cards, but having a permission/liability form might have helped. Idk. We'll see. The last thing I said was that anything attributed with the house stays with the house. From there I pretty much just went on a semi-long hike. I had the nice view of a rolling hill. There were stone walls and fields somehow, along this hill side. I thought there might be a cellar, but couldn't find any.
Saturday was just as rough in the am. I had to hike over 1.5mi to a site, just because there was no other way in.... such as no parking on certain roads. Private prop pretty much all around. So I had to make the trek in, up and down hills. And for what, a measly harmonica reed, a small buckle (with the thick end), and a broken jug top. I did get some nice views, tho. Felt like summer to me. The baby snake didn't seem too perturbed with my presence. He didn't even stick his tongue out until I tapped him with the coil. From the shape of the markings, he looked like an eastern milk snake (check the google image that isn't one with banded colors), but they are more reddish. Someone thinks it was an timber rattler. (Idk if the baby has the rattler but I didn't notice one).
The last spot turned out to be the better one. The first good target was the rein guide. Apparently some were plated, not just brass. I pulled my first trigger guard. Wish I could get an answer outta someone :eyebrow::lipssealed: as to what rifle it belonged to. When I dug it, I thought trigger guard, but as I saw it was symmetrical (because one end is broken) and thought door handle. Once I googled brown bess trigger guard, I was convinced that my first impression was the correct ID. It looks similar to the bess, although the ornate piece at the front isn't as ornate as the google images I came up with. General shape was the same. The smaller musket was from this site. It def didn't belong to the same gun as this was a pistol shot, not rifle shot. The other '3 ringer' looks like it might be a .357 wadcutter. Interesting design.
I also pulled copper #10 (actually like #34 1/2 overall). It was counter stamped on both sides, and holed. Not sure if the number is '1032' or '132'. No, I don't think on the other side it counts as an initial, lol, but just weird to have numbers separated like that. It was an 1817 matron. It still kinda looks like 1813 and that's what I thought when I dug it. The front has the 'J' and 'H' initials. There was a family name nearby, but a street over, with the letter 'H'.

Digger_O'Dell
06-05-2017, 12:57 PM
Great read, and congrats on #10! Thanks for the photos too, just be careful with the snakes and bugs.

Full Metal Digger
06-05-2017, 01:48 PM
Congrats Jim and your nature photos are spectacular!

Digger Don
06-05-2017, 01:56 PM
Congrats on all the awesome finds. You get to hunt some gorgeous sites!

Donnie B
06-05-2017, 05:58 PM
Nice hunts! Great photos!

MangoAve
06-06-2017, 12:50 PM
Great read, and congrats on #10! Thanks for the photos too, just be careful with the snakes and bugs.

Thanks, Chris. Lol, that spider was prob more to be worried about than the snake. Idk what kind it was and haven't checked, but it was big. I was thinking the ones with legs pointed back are predatory ones. The site where the tiny thimble came from, there were moose tracks. They were pretty big tracks...

Congrats Jim and your nature photos are spectacular!

Thanks, Dave. Those nature things are the one thing you might not get at permissions. (Altho I am not knocking them. You often have a lot of good finds from such). These are the things we'd have seen IF we were around back in the day.

Congrats on all the awesome finds. You get to hunt some gorgeous sites!

Thanks, Don. When I said it felt like summer upon that hill, boy it did feel like 'freedom'. Not thinking about work or the daily grind. The stress reliever, if you will.

Nice hunts! Great photos!

Thanks, Donnie. Glad you like the pics...from an old S4. I gotta break out the GoPro again. The gf did get me a kit for it like headband and mounting clips.

OxShoeDrew
06-06-2017, 03:03 PM
WOW Jim...a trigger guard is still on my list. Congrats on some super finds! Love that stamped copper too! :congrats:

aloldstuff
06-06-2017, 05:20 PM
WTG Jim, another copper and stamped. I would love to find a trigger guard to add to my collection, congrats on yours.
Great pictures.....as usual.

wisconsin digger
06-07-2017, 10:20 AM
Not sure which is more impressive the relic and coin finds or the nature photos. A big WOW to both. Congrats on the double digit coppers. WD

MangoAve
06-07-2017, 12:41 PM
WOW Jim...a trigger guard is still on my list. Congrats on some super finds! Love that stamped copper too! :congrats:

Tenks, Druzy. I guess now I can't look back on past finds and think they were inadequate. Guess this counter stamped coin might show they can be holed in the center and NOT used as a washer.

WTG Jim, another copper and stamped. I would love to find a trigger guard to add to my collection, congrats on yours.
Great pictures.....as usual.

Thanks, Al. You gotta do more cellars than parks and fields to be able to find one. But then again, that logic would have meant I could have found a GW button by now. Good luck, tho. That's only my second gun part. WAY more musket balls and CW bullets than actual gun parts.

Not sure which is more impressive the relic and coin finds or the nature photos. A big WOW to both. Congrats on the double digit coppers. WD

Thank ye, WD. Didn't miss my calling as a photographer. The people I was with almost missed that big spider... they stepped right over it as I was stopped waiting for them to spot it. AND, I might add, I don't do the crazy things like the article I saw recently on the reality of some pics. A 'beach' pic and the guy is standing on a pile of sand in a city. A pic of a woman in the tall grass... was just her kneeling by some weeds. A nice pic of cologne was just in a puddle. Lol.

The Rebel
06-07-2017, 03:13 PM
Nice finds. Looks like that snake is a milk snake. http://wildlifeofct.com/eastern%20milksnake.html

http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/wildlife/pdf_files/nongame/snkwebview.pdf

MangoAve
06-14-2017, 12:59 PM
Nice finds. Looks like that snake is a milk snake.

Yup, you are right. Well, we are right. Tiny milk snake.

Thanks, Rog.