PDA

View Full Version : Non-typical finds!!

xzlr8n
08-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Hit a park and my brother-in-law's 1860 house over the weekend and another local park Monday evening. Had some decent rain so digging was good and grass will recover better. Dug $7.64 in coins, with one wheat, and a surprise 1851 Large Ct in the mix. The 1851 was badly coated with an iron deposit on the obverse and cement/plaster on the reverse side. Had to soak it in vinegar for a bit to lossen the crude, Peroxide wouldn't touch this crud. After some soaking and scrubbing the date was revealed and a nice reverse side came into view. The V3i hit this a solid 86 VDI, and I was pretty sure it was a large cent when I took it out of the dirt although I initally couldn't be sure (was hoping the 86 VDI would have been a silver quarter but I'll take a Lg cent any day). I found the silver thimble at my brother-in-laws house. The thimble has a H & Co. mark and has a welded seam, any ID's or info would be great to have from you guys!! The only other piece of silver during two days of hunting was a woman's plain silver ring marked 925. Non-typical silver finds for a coin hunter enthusiast but still thrilled to pull these out of the ground :smitten:.

del
08-25-2010, 02:37 AM
very nice finds , great thimble and ring . just a word to the wise , vinegar will do a number on a copper if your not
careful.i found extremely hot peroxide will soften most materials on coins but you might have to repeat a few times .but it looks like you did a pretty good job . congrats

John M
08-25-2010, 05:38 AM
Real nice thimble.Looks like there is manufature stampings on it and if looked up you probably could get a date on it.

coinnut
08-25-2010, 06:30 AM
Congrats on the copper and you did get a lot of detail on it. The thimble is real nice. Couldn't locate anything on the company when I Googled it. Hard to date them without that info. Nice different silver haul :yes: