PDA

View Full Version : up the creek

Robbie
06-11-2017, 04:18 PM
Temps here got over 90 so I decided to take out the boat and do a little shore detecting up the creek. This areas untouched. And I was also surprised to find anything. Although if you go all the way out you`ll find the Key bridge. ( 1812). So you never know what I might find. First target is this old silver, don`t know what it is ,second came a toasted IH than came the button. The salt water is rough on them. I found the Guth good as gold token last week and soaked it in evoo.

Digger_O'Dell
06-11-2017, 05:52 PM
Some very nice finds! I'm really curious about that silver. Try cleaning the crud off with the hot water/baking soda and coil method. It can work wonders. My last seated dime looked smooth as a mirror other than some buildup, and after cleaning not only did the details pop out, I also got a perfectly clear date.

Robbie
06-11-2017, 06:25 PM
coil method:dontknow: fill me in

Digger_O'Dell
06-11-2017, 07:28 PM
Very easy! Heat some water, maybe a bowl worth. Dissolve baking soda until it won't dissolve any more. Cover bottom of bowl with foil. Place coin on it. Pour hot water mixture over it and let it soak. You may have to repeat soaking several times for heavy crust. Chemical reaction will remove or loosen any crust or oxidation. May have to finish clean with plain water and cotton swab if really bad. Just be patient, it can be fairly slow, but it's an effective and gentle way to clean coins or other silver.

Hope this helps!

Hiluxyota
06-11-2017, 10:35 PM
Or an old cell phone charger , cut the plug that goes into the phone and attach alligator clips to both wires , now you have a simple tool for electrolysis. I use that method when I want to clean a coin from the water. The crud bubbles right off ..

Digger_O'Dell
06-11-2017, 10:38 PM
Or an old cell phone charger , cut the plug that goes into the phone and attach alligator clips to both wires , now you have a simple tool for electrolysis. I use that method when I want to clean a coin from the water. The crud bubbles right off ..

That's another effective method, but you have to be careful. Too much and it can pit the silver. Use the wrong polarity and is will actually bond impurities to the silver (electroplating!)

Robbie
06-13-2017, 04:46 PM
That's another effective method, but you have to be careful. Too much and it can pit the silver. Use the wrong polarity and is will actually bond impurities to the silver (electroplating!)
Well DOD, I tried your method several times for 24hrs with no results. This morning I tried electrolysis. I wish that I had taking my time. Now I know what you mean about electroplating. I think I just toasted a flowing hair dime .:girlcry:

Robbie
06-18-2017, 06:55 PM
I found another one today, this ones more worn and thin, but I think I see a date of 1783 ( you need to see the right glare of light)

Robbie
06-24-2017, 11:53 AM
I found another one today, this ones more worn and thin, but I think I see a date of 1783 ( you need to see the right glare of light)
Took this coin to the local coin shop today, and he confirmed it to be a 1783 reale

Caretaker
06-27-2017, 05:27 PM
do you mean a 1 reale, that's 2 of them, great finds

aloldstuff
06-28-2017, 03:17 PM
Dual reales.....hit that spot hard. Great finds.

Robbie
06-30-2017, 07:42 PM
Dual reales.....hit that spot hard. Great finds.
Yep that`s the plan, I`ve got the next 4 days off to hit it again, the shore line is rough here with the boating traffic, the waves and the trash is overwhelming.

milco
06-30-2017, 08:15 PM
Congrats on the 18th Century silver! I think creek hunting is my next adventure when I get a new machine.