PDA

View Full Version : Captured a unicorn this weekend. Copper #(11) wasnt the show stopper.

MangoAve
06-13-2017, 02:50 PM
The start of the day was pretty bad. This was a research fail. It had all the signs and even looked like a depression with some stones, but some of it was bedrock and the whole site had very little iron. It also pissed me off with how hard it was to hike through all the past logging. They left that stuff everywhere. Almost as bad as the spot a few months ago with Mark S.
I decided to move to a spot where I had visited when there was snow in the ground. I had a few targets so I figured I'd try my luck. Good thing I did. Wasn't long until a cuff button came up. Then a mangled tongue/chappe assembly. Now I got the guts and no frame. Well, I also got a piece of the frame nearby. (Maybe 10ft away is where Kev got the silver buckle.) There was a brass item that was pretty frail. Turns out it is a quillon, the piece between the handle and blade of a dagger. Back when I was here last, I pulled something that looked like a flattened parasol top but missing the rolled edge. Turns out this prob would confirm my original ID of the previous find as the scabbard tip. I am not certain of the age of the item, but it looks like it has a Spartan or a gladiator depicted on the main part and the hand guard. Def a nice unique relic.
I kept deviating from this one spot that was the productive are and idky. But, it did net me a bucket lister. First I went across the road where I think I saw a barn in the historical aerial. Idk. Then I went along this arch just where there was no ground cover preventing the coil swinging. There were some good signals. Four, in fact. Turns out they were bullet tips. But... not much more than 15 ft from this path, within 40ft from the cellar, I pulled up my first Spanish silver. It was a 1773 Two reales from the Mexico Mint. Pretty good shape for a 244 year old coin. This beat my previous oldest silver by 102yr. I was ecstatic I finally nabbed some silver. I was having trouble determining the denomination at first... but now I realize the Spanish coins were thinner and therefore had a larger diameter. They are thinner, hence why they are really thin when worn. Happy to knock one off the list in a big way. Esp when I missed four different times of 1/2 reales. To show how old the place was, there were two pewter spoon bowls and you can see three pieces of a pewter buckle frame. The dog license was a let down.
Here was a pic of Kev's buckle in the dirt.
Last Thursday I did hit a spot that I thought had potential. It was a nice view and a not so nice hike in. Up and down. ugh. I found only a brass piece and a single button away from the cellar. I stayed away cuz the iron I saw on the rocks. Well, turned out that the cellar had more items to find which included another fuggin harmonica reed, a petal bell (size 1) and a lantern piece. The lantern was screaming at me which makes me wonder who the heck missed it. On the way out I checked the kiosk to see what was on the map. As I got close a bird flew away and caught me off guard. Seems she was watching over the little guy.

Bucknut
06-13-2017, 03:08 PM
That sword handle thing is pretty cool! But that 2 Real is SWEET! congrats on the bucket lister!

aloldstuff
06-13-2017, 04:39 PM
Jim, its okay to now remove the Spanish reale from your future goals....huge congrats on that find. :thumbsup02:. We all knew that it was just a matter of time.

del
06-13-2017, 05:56 PM
congrats on the sword quillon Jim , pretty uncommon to find the delicate hand guard bar !:clapping: the large Spanish silver is a great recovery too ! :cheering:

Digger_O'Dell
06-13-2017, 06:55 PM
Jim, huge congrats! It's always a great day when you can knock one off the bucket list. :congrats: That Reale is a heck of a way to do it too, she's a beauty! That quillon is a great piece of history! May be worth it to have it checked out for age and origin. The design looks pretty unusual, and i suspect may be quite a lot older than the site.

Lodge Scent
06-13-2017, 07:18 PM
Wow! That quillon is a very cool find Jim. Can't knock the Spanish silver either!

Donnie B
06-13-2017, 08:39 PM
I love the Quillon and Big Congrats on the Unicorn!

wisconsin digger
06-14-2017, 12:17 AM
CongrATS ON THE OLD SILVER AND ALL THE RELICS. lOVE ALL THE PHOTOS. wd

Mr. Digger
06-14-2017, 03:43 AM
Awesome 2R. Congrats! Great coin.

MangoAve
06-14-2017, 01:21 PM
That sword handle thing is pretty cool! But that 2 Real is SWEET! congrats on the bucket lister!

Thanks, Buck. Def happy to score the 2R. That quillon is quite unique and wonder how many get dug.

Jim, its okay to now remove the Spanish reale from your future goals....huge congrats on that find. :thumbsup02:. We all knew that it was just a matter of time.

Dang, Al. You want everything. I was scrambling to get post up in time. Lol. I tried once on the club FB page, but it didn't take for some reason. Didn't think the signature line was a top priority. :eyebrow: Thanks, tho. Was just surprised how long it took. Now I'm almost like Dave and Todd pulling a copper or something nice at least once a week.

congrats on the sword quillon Jim , pretty uncommon to find the delicate hand guard bar !:clapping: the large Spanish silver is a great recovery too ! :cheering:

Thanks Dan. The hand guard was attached when it came out of the ground. I tapped the dirt off but it was way too frail. At least I got it all. Maybe someone can repair it for me. Yup, proud of the silver. Not sure you saw vid... it was merely 3" deep. Incredible how shallow.

Jim, huge congrats! It's always a great day when you can knock one off the bucket list. :congrats: That Reale is a heck of a way to do it too, she's a beauty! That quillon is a great piece of history! May be worth it to have it checked out for age and origin. The design looks pretty unusual, and i suspect may be quite a lot older than the site.

Thanks, Chris. It may not be a fresh mint drop, but still got enough meat left on 'er. I'd like to figure out how to find the info on the quillon. This site was on the map. Right off the road. And it had all these targets left including big silver?? But... it means I have a name associated with it in the 1860s and it might be easier to figure out. Just, everything online searches comes up with modern replicas of stuff. Nothing close to a historic piece. It maybe older. Idk. Site seems early to mid 1700s from the usage of pewter.

Wow! That quillon is a very cool find Jim. Can't knock the Spanish silver either!

Thanks, Jeff. I love the unique relics. The Spanish silver was the one thing that I was 'starving' for when I started... before I knew of the other coinage types. But it still remained at the top of the list cuz it was something that 'should' be at these sites... and was a big part of the history.

I love the Quillon and Big Congrats on the Unicorn!

Thanks, Donnie B. You and I have been doing good at these CT cellars. We be giving some veterans a run for their money.

CongrATS ON THE OLD SILVER AND ALL THE RELICS. lOVE ALL THE PHOTOS. wd

Thanks, WD. I forgot there was the nice view and the flowers pics. Lol. I was thinking "what photos". Prob cuz there were only 16 in this thread, not 26+.

Awesome 2R. Congrats! Great coin.

Thanks, Digger. Def much better of a find than the toasty CT. Lol. Moved onto better things than coppers. :lol:

Tony Two-Cent
06-14-2017, 01:39 PM
Wow, Jim, your first Spanish silver is a really nice one! A big 2 Reales! :notworthy:

It is in nice shape with a clear date and details. Wonderful! Huge congrats on getting that one off of you bucket list.

The sword crossguard/quillon is really cool too! What a great piece of history. :thumbsup02:

:congrats: