PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a date.

bamaart
06-17-2017, 06:21 PM
5959659595Can anyone help me date this ? I have tried for years. And if you can nail that one, I have one more.

del
06-18-2017, 09:22 AM
Kevin I've never seen English silver marks like that before , the lion and crown doesn't look right .

Digger_O'Dell
06-18-2017, 09:27 AM
This is an odd one which I'm leaning towards a 20th century fake. The "SHEF" would indicate Sheffield. The crown ilooks like it's the top half of the Amsterdam hallmark. English lions face left and are typically just a silhouette. Gotham uses a similar right facing lion but without the cartoon looking features. The chicken is a very odd one. The only thing I've found is on silver plate from India, but that's post 2000. The strange fleur de lis would suggest a twist on a French hallmark.
Haven't tracked down the others yet. One problem is the design layout being in a disorderly layout. I could also guess it may be silver plate with a silver plug for the hallmarks of which there are a lot of examples out there. Very strange that none of the marks seem to relate to a date, but only places.

bamaart
06-18-2017, 12:52 PM
I agree, I think that I will just write it off as a reproduction. Thanks

bamaart
06-18-2017, 12:53 PM
Kinda strange looking, Thank You