PDA

View Full Version : Before and after electrolysis photos of an iron shoe buckle.

Donnie B
06-19-2017, 08:13 PM
Before and after electrolysis photos of an iron shoe buckle I found at the Pine Tree Shilling site. I like to conserve my iron relics and this one is very special because it dates to the time of the Shilling (1680 - 1700) and is probably made of English iron.596205962159622

Lodge Scent
06-19-2017, 09:10 PM
Nice work Donnie B. I'm going to start a thread on the Cleaning & Storage forum to discuss electrolysis techniques. I'd like to hear yours.

Donnie B
06-19-2017, 09:21 PM
Thank you! I basically learned how to do electrolysis by watching YouTube videos. I started out using a 9 volt battery but just purchased a used manual auto battery charger on Ebay which speeds up the process tremendously and does a better job. I cleaned the shoe buckle above using the manual charger and it was done in about three hours. The next time I clean a relic I will make a GoPro video.

aloldstuff
06-20-2017, 05:03 AM
That buckle looks so much better. I have some interesting items that I would love to use the electrolysis method on but....I need to get a set up.

Donnie B
06-20-2017, 05:30 AM
I am a complete novice and only recently learned how to perform electrolysis by watching YouTube videos. I started out using 9 volt batteries but quickly learned that (a.) It takes much longer to perform the electrolysis and (b.) You use a LOT of batteries. I searched Ebay and bought a new old stock manual car battery charger for around $20.00 which is the method I saw in several YouTube videos. That set-up works great and in much less time. 59628

chief5709
06-21-2017, 05:11 AM
Nice, Donnie! looking forward to Lodge Scents thread. I've always wanted to try it but afraid I'd burn down the house.

Donnie B
06-21-2017, 05:36 AM
My wife won't allow me to do it in the house! :lolsign: Seriously, though, it does give off fumes so you wouldn't want to do it in the house and never use stainless steel for your sacrificial metal because it releases harmful gases (or so I have been told).

Nice, Donnie! looking forward to Lodge Scents thread. I've always wanted to try it but afraid I'd burn down the house.

catskillcomics
06-24-2017, 05:45 AM
Great Job Donnie! I've been messing with some electrolysis this past week , or at least making it, I haven't done any yet, maybe this weekend as it raining so no detecting for me:detecting:

Donnie B
06-24-2017, 07:15 AM
Thanks! One of the best things about doing electrolysis is that it gives you another way to enjoy your hobby when you can't get out and dig!

Great Job Donnie! I've been messing with some electrolysis this past week , or at least making it, I haven't done any yet, maybe this weekend as it raining so no detecting for me:detecting:

del
06-24-2017, 10:05 PM
You guys are making me wanna cook some iron !:popcorn: