PDA

View Full Version : Short morning hunt turns up lots of (fake) gold

Digger_O'Dell
06-21-2017, 02:27 PM
Hi all,
Got out this morning for about a 90 minute beach hunt after work. First thing i noticed was some extra erosion in places, and others built up by the wash. So I worked first around some rocks put in to slow the beach erosion that seems to catch a lot of debris. Within the first minute i get a scratchy 12-28 alongside a huge boulder. About 6 inches down I pull a shiny gold band with stones around 3/4 of the outer diameter. The heart was jumping until I rinsed the sand off and realized it was just another fake gold ring.

Working down the shoreline and back with little else found I get another iffy 12-27. I wasn't sure, but in this place when in doubt, just dig it. Tough little bugger to locate in the sand, but I see more of the shiny golden hue along with stones. Rinsed it off to find out it was an earring. Looking closer with shaking hands, I realized quickly it was just a other faker. :shocked01:

Almost out of time I walk back to the area I started and began working away from the water. This is where a lot of coins started popping, so looked more promising. Then comes a beautiful, clean 12-30 textbook gold signal at 2 inches. I pinpoint it and sift the sand with my fingers. Quickly I see this tiny, thin gold circle that has a braid like pattern to it. Great feel too! Feeling confident the third time would be the charm, I cleaned it only to see what looked like a base metal coming through on the high spots. Another fake! :girlcry:
Not exactly how I wanted to end the hunt. But hey, at least I got out swinging on a beautiful day!

OxShoeDrew
06-21-2017, 04:36 PM
Wow...sounds like your heart skipped a few beats today!! Don't fret...the 4th time is a charm! Congrats on some nice finds!

Digger_O'Dell
06-21-2017, 06:11 PM
Thanks Drew. Yes, I experienced a few misfires! :lol:

Pastpursuits
06-22-2017, 02:14 PM
Heart stoppers for sure!!! It's still fun even if they are fake!!! I always do the best in the water... I notice hot zones where finds are along the shore at the same distance out from the beach for long stretches so I move in and out until I get a idea of where most items are and then focus on those areas. I find the most coins on the beach and more rings in the water.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!!!
PP

Digger_O'Dell
06-22-2017, 04:18 PM
Thanks PP, I enjoy the water hunts too, but nothing to find lately. The water is only 50 degrees here at best (Lake Michigan), So nobody is in the water yet.