PDA

View Full Version : Silver in Four Sizes

z118
11-15-2009, 01:53 PM
No hunting yesteday, but I did get out this morning for a good 4 hours or so. I headed to a spot that has given up a good amount of silver for me this summer. I was bent on scoring one more silver coin to get me to a nice round number for the year. I showed up shortly after sunrise. After an hour or so I had not found anything to speak of, and the battery in the Sov died. I swapped it out with the back up, which I was lucky enough to be carrying at the time. But after another 45 minutes I still had no good finds except a small silver starfish earing, and then the back up battery died. I was a little frustrated and thought of either going home or maybe hitting some tot lots with the Tracker. But I opted to stick with it and headed down the road to a gas station to buy some AA batteries to refill the backup battery. The batteries were obscenely overpriced at the gas station.

At any rate I got back to hunting still thinking of that one silver coin I wanted. I hunted for another 30 minutes or so and did not find anything but clad, and I started thinking silver was not to be. But then very unexpectedly, I popped a shiny 54 quarter. Sweet! It caught me very off guard - it did not sound like silver or a quarter at all - but I'll take it! Then it was as if everything changed. A few targets later I pulled a '57 dime. And then a small silver ring. And then an 1891 Indian head. And then a 43 nickel! I was feeling pretty good and glad that I had opted to stick with it. All these good finds came in a very short period. A short while later I pulled a 57 half! WOW! This is only the second Franklin half I've found ever. I did a ridiculous little dance for sure. Who am I kidding - it was not a little dance...

Anyway, it was a sweet morning! Total of 79 coins worth $6.07 which includes the silver, Indian Head, and four wheats.

Happy hunting!

EDIT - is there any way to get the forum to autoshrink pics to the right size?

Epi-hunter
11-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Wow, z! You are doing amazing! That Sovereign is smoking hot thumbsup01

Love that half especially :) This must be silver half day...

We have it set to shrink photos to not above a certain width. But your photos are great!

Dave
11-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Beautiful hunt! Congrats Z-man!

OkieDigger
11-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Wow Z! You're on fire dude!

Krom
11-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Silver's prit-ty... o, so prit-ty...! :grin:
Sweet finds, Z. thumbsup01

Bentfork
11-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Great digs Z!

G.

marchas45
11-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Awesome Digs Z glad you got your even number on your silver, still one more day out there, yea!! thumbsup01

Jason in Enid
11-15-2009, 05:25 PM
That's some incredible finds! Way to go!

angellionel
11-15-2009, 05:30 PM
You need to pour water on your GT, it's on fire! lol Great finds Z! I love that silver - a little of everything. thumbsup01

The photos are great by the way. :)

bmattioli
11-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Great stuff Z! That half is incredible, not too many of those are found.. Awesome!

Bruce

MNDigger
11-15-2009, 08:20 PM
MAN that is a great hunt! :shocked04: I would love to have days like that! WTG! thumbsup01