PDA

View Full Version : 1787 Machin's Mills - - updated

aloldstuff
06-28-2017, 11:11 AM
Got out for about an hour and a half today. Of course I went to my favorite field. At this time of year it is all plowed and planted except for the blueberry bushes which is where I went. Now I have been up and down these rows of bushes over and over yet there is still stuff to find. This KG was about 7-8 inches down and I think its in pretty good shape. 1767 is what I'm seeing. Last two pictures are with some REN wax on.

The cuff button was only about 1/2 inch deep and no backmark, broken shank.

Felt good to get out again.

Thanks for reading and HH everyone.

UPDATED::::::Dan replied to this thread and made me re-look at this coin. Everything he mentioned is absolutely on point with this coin.

Full Metal Digger
06-28-2017, 11:49 AM
Excellent coin! It looks like 1767 to me also. Congrats on another successful hunt. HH, Dave.

Noah
06-28-2017, 12:50 PM
Ho hum, another King George. You guys kill it out there!! :notworthy:

Tony Two-Cent
06-28-2017, 12:55 PM
How wonderful it must be to have a go-to honey hole like that! The King George II is a wonderful find, Al. Part of my brain keeps trying to tell me the date is 1757, but I can see 1767 as well.

Congrats on the cool find! :clapping:

OxShoeDrew
06-29-2017, 04:53 AM
That one is a looker Al! What's the total copper count on that field?

del
06-29-2017, 05:18 AM
Al , you know what makes this coin so nice ?? Well first off its not a 67 but a 87 and because its a 1787 (a very suspicious date for English coppers by the way) that makes it very likely a counterfeit ! This particular counterfeit is from New York also known as a Machin's Mills , to me it looks very close to the Vlack 19-87c variety here http://www.novanumismatics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Vlack-19-87C.jpg on this page http://www.novanumismatics.com/engraving/americas-machins-mills-contemporary-counterfeit-halfpence/

I found a similar one a year or two ago

Dan

aloldstuff
06-29-2017, 05:26 AM
Excellent coin! It looks like 1767 to me also. Congrats on another successful hunt. HH, Dave.

Thanks Dave. As many times as I have been over this spot this coin came as a real surprise.

Ho hum, another King George. You guys kill it out there!! :notworthy:

Tim, I know......right. :lol:

How wonderful it must be to have a go-to honey hole like that! The King George II is a wonderful find, Al. Part of my brain keeps trying to tell me the date is 1757, but I can see 1767 as well.

Congrats on the cool find! :clapping:

Tony, I thought the same thing about the date but the loupe confirmed the date. I'll agree, it is great to have this site and its only roughly 10 minuets from my house.

That one is a looker Al! What's the total copper count on that field?

Drew, I'm thinking the total is 28. I had gotten two toasted coppers years ago and never went back until I took Dan back in 2014 (I think). Since taking Dan the total would be 26. Just when I think its all done producing the field comes up with a surprise so I have to keep going back.

aloldstuff
06-29-2017, 05:54 AM
Al , you know what makes this coin so nice ?? Well first off its not a 67 but a 87 and because its a 1787 (a very suspicious date for English coppers by the way) that makes it very likely a counterfeit ! This particular counterfeit is from New York also known as a Machin's Mills , to me it looks very close to the Vlack 19-87c variety here http://www.novanumismatics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Vlack-19-87C.jpg on this page http://www.novanumismatics.com/engraving/americas-machins-mills-contemporary-counterfeit-halfpence/

I found a similar one a year or two ago

Dan

Well this bit of info made me really look at this coin. I dug out my superduper magnifying glass and YUP....it is a 1787. Putting some light at an angle I could see that and also saw the III. I will now amend my thread title.
Dan, I must say that your knowledge is greatly appreciated. :notworthy:Without your expertise I would have not known that I had a Machin's Mills coin....:thumbsup02:

OxShoeDrew
06-29-2017, 06:10 AM
When I first saw this coin I thought it was the EXACT same patina as my Machin's Mills.

del
06-29-2017, 05:57 PM
Well this bit of info made me really look at this coin. I dug out my superduper magnifying glass and YUP....it is a 1787. Putting some light at an angle I could see that and also saw the III. I will now amend my thread title.
Dan, I must say that your knowledge is greatly appreciated. :notworthy:Without your expertise I would have not known that I had a Machin's Mills coin....:thumbsup02:

:embarrassed: Your very welcome Al , see the "ridged" edge on the back of the coin I posted Al ? Those are what I was describing they are little "pie-shaped" wedges (denticles) that go around some Machin Mills coins but not British coins .

When I first saw this coin I thought it was the EXACT same patina as my Machin's Mills.

With the exception of the date Al's coin and yours have the same looking lady Britannia But I think your coin Drew is far more uncommon ! Its a nice variety and I'm still looking for that one myself !

Dan

Lodge Scent
06-29-2017, 07:42 PM
I think you need to lease that field from the farmer Al. Keep him from planting it for a few years. Pay him to turn it over a couple of times.

That is a very cool find :congrats:

aloldstuff
06-29-2017, 07:54 PM
Dan, could you look at the coin in this thread and let me know. I believe it to be a 1787

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?20027-2-Coppers-21-and-22

Thanks Al

del
06-29-2017, 08:45 PM
Dan, could you look at the coin in this thread and let me know. I believe it to be a 1787

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?20027-2-Coppers-21-and-22

Thanks Al

Al , its definitely a counterfeit and quite possibly a Machin Mill's type but I'm unable to confirm which variety type from the pictures .

aloldstuff
06-29-2017, 08:48 PM
Al , its definitely a counterfeit and quite possibly a Machin Mill's type but I'm unable to confirm which variety type from the pictures .

I'll try to get some better pictures and I'll PM you. Thanks