PDA

View Full Version : Not many keepers, but a cool coin bracelet

Digger_O'Dell
06-28-2017, 07:53 PM
I got out yesterday to a couple sites I wanted to check out, unfortunately nothing really produced. There is one stream site that was supposed to be an old swimming hole, but only had lots of big iron from the nearby railroad. I'll have to get back and explore further out when I have more time.
Another stream area I had hoped might produce also tanked. It's in an area with lots of hiking and dog walkers along with beach goers. This place was just filled with tiny bits of rusty sheet metal and nail bits. Who would have figured? I had hoped for may be even the odd gold nugget, but no such luck. At least it was a nice scenic romp in the woods! Lol

Lastly, I decided to head to a park that has some history back to the late 1800s. I've never even found a wheatie there yet, so I suspect it's partly because of heavy hunting in the past, and the fact that the soil is so soft even clad from the 80s can be a foot deep. I managed to find over $5 in clad and a neat charm bracelet with a Canadian maple leaf and 4 plated 1955 canadian pennies.

The pendant reads "Atikokan" which is a small town in Ontario. The name is Ojibwe for "carribou bones". I don't know the true significance of the date, but one site said the town was incorporated in 1954. It did have some facts wrong, so may be the date was also off by one year? It would make sense.

Lastly, here's a beach find from a couple days ago. Looks like a home made bracelet that's been buried for quite some time. It really rang up odd with numbers all over the range, and nothing repeatable. Probably why it never got dug until now.

aloldstuff
06-28-2017, 08:13 PM
Some scenic pictures of the stream, to bad no goodies were found. The park would seem to be the spot to hit, no place is ever hunted out. I'd be looking for the hard to get to spots in that park.

Digger_O'Dell
06-28-2017, 08:35 PM
Some scenic pictures of the stream, to bad no goodies were found. The park would seem to be the spot to hit, no place is ever hunted out. I'd be looking for the hard to get to spots in that park.

I've been working it hard, even along edges and in bushes, plus under the low hanging high tension wires that even gives the CTX fits. The newer addition to the park only has new clad, and not much of that. The old area is mostly parking lot and newly added buildings. It's a tough site at best, but I'm trying!

wisconsin digger
06-29-2017, 12:47 PM
At least your exploring. I am in desperate need of new ground and or water and have not been looking. Keep pounding WD

Digger_O'Dell
06-29-2017, 04:49 PM
At least your exploring. I am in desperate need of new ground and or water and have not been looking. Keep pounding WD

I know the feeling. Too often I've inadvertently gone to sites you've already been to, and they have yet to give up a single thing! :shocked04:

Lodge Scent
06-29-2017, 07:57 PM
Getting out is half the battle. No gold nuggets but that coin bracelet is pretty cool.

milco
06-30-2017, 10:47 PM
Looks like some enjoyable time out MDing to me!